PDA

View Full Version : RAR files???

Vendeta
January 3rd, 2007, 02:22
Could it be possible to make a program that installs to ur flash that makes it able to run things in a RAR file and or zip file???? just noticed how much room u could sae by haveing that....

JKKDARK
January 3rd, 2007, 03:08
No, there isn't :laugh:

Vendeta
January 3rd, 2007, 08:47
i wasent asking if there was one i was asking if its possible to make one.... if anyone could it would be somone on dcemu:) lol

bah
January 3rd, 2007, 11:17
What type of files are you hoping to compress?
Apart from maybe psx isos (if they contain uncompressed CD audio tracks) I can't think of what files on a psp's mstick would compress much at all.

Most emulators incorporate zip support for roms and mp3s/mp4 video arent going to shrink at all in a zip/rar archive. It would slow things down and use precious memory to extract files from the archives also.

belialone
January 3rd, 2007, 11:45
for the i*os there is dax or c*o
but normal homebrew doesnt need to be compressed
it would save memstick space but it increases the cpu usage cuz you'll need to unzip or unrar the data at runtime

Vendeta
January 3rd, 2007, 20:43
Well if u use a c*o then it lags more but if there wass a way to rar it (cause u can compress 600mb into 16mb with rar) we could save massive room and for music able to shrink it top half a kb would be nice too....

jak66
January 3rd, 2007, 21:47
doesnt 7zip have even better compression than rar?

still, unlikely it will ever happen

Vendeta
January 3rd, 2007, 21:50
Nah rar can compress like 100 mb into 1kb

belialone
January 4th, 2007, 07:23
i think it depends on the data a i*o contains how much you can compress it
already shrinked data like mp4 vids or mp3 does not have a high compression ratio

bah
January 4th, 2007, 08:32
Seriously people, using an * for 1 letter of iso or cso is not what no iso talk means.

The word by itself isnt whats not allowed, it is the entire topic of discussion. For example you can say 'isos are destroying the commercial psp game market' no problem, but not 'how can i compress my psp i*os to save memory stick space'.

Please respect the dcemu rules, even better would be to buy your games.

Now that's been said,
Zip, rar, 7zip are all lossless compression methods that gain the most where there is repetition of sets of data. Text files will compress great.
Jpeg, mp3, mp4 etc are all purpose-optimised lossy compression methods. These codecs all compress their type of data far more than zip or rar would compress a raw video stream.

Trying to compress with zip, rar, 7zip etc a file already compressed with one of these purpose-optimised compression methods will not achieve anything (well, very very close to nothing).
If zip could compress an mp3 much, then the mp3 codec wouldn't be doing a very good job would it.

Compression methods, especially lossless ones, are not some magic bullet that will compress 100s of MB of any sort of data down to 100KB. Modern image/audio/video codecs have already done a much better job at reducing their size than zip ever could.

Raw video at the psp's screens res of 480x272 32bit colour would be about 120MB per second.

belialone
January 4th, 2007, 09:53
Seriously people, using an * for 1 letter of iso or cso is not what no iso talk means.

The word by itself isnt whats not allowed, it is the entire topic of discussion. For example you can say 'isos are destroying the commercial psp game market' no problem, but not 'how can i compress my psp i*os to save memory stick space'.

Please respect the dcemu rules, even better would be to buy your games.

seriously i own umds vids & games
this thread is about compressing not ripping psp games
or how to get devhook to play a certain game

i know the dcemu rules
i dont post links to warez
i would never help someone to get them
and im not talking about i*os in particular

chill out buddy

bah
January 4th, 2007, 10:19
So compressing psp isos isnt talking about psp isos?
Amazing.
Vendeta was clearly looking for a way to somehow use rar to compress isos.

The Rules. (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=82&a=7)

I'm not trying to be a prick, it just bugs me when people are clearly talking about ISOs and simply not using the exact spelling as if that makes it ok.
The word is not whats banned, its talking about issues that solely involve the creation, obtaining, shrinking by compression/ripping content, usage or whatever else you can think of doing with PSP game ISOs.

Vendeta
January 4th, 2007, 10:37
NO NO NO... i was simply asking if haveing a RAR capible psp makeing u be able to save lots of homebrew on even a 32mb mem stick... yes some one would use it for ISO's.... but no reason to get bent out of place bout it... no mods had any problems... y should u... and befor u go and question people above u figure out what its about.... jebus... CALM DOWN! lol

belialone
January 4th, 2007, 11:27
im sorry if i made a mistake
i totally obey the rules of dcemu
but it makes me wonder i can say my devhook loads fw 3.01
but i cant say how to use it to run isos
i can say gpsp is great
but i cant post linkz to romz
why its forbidden to say that somthing like cso or dax exist
im not making a tutorial how to compress isos
i didnt even encurage someone to

there was thread a week ago about allowing iso talk on dcemu i was totally against it
not just becuz of the legal issues
it was becuz dcemu would be flamed with torrent and warez links