PDA

View Full Version : 5 PSP predictions for 2007

wraggster
January 3rd, 2007, 04:12
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/01/01/5-psp-predictions-for-2007/)

Now that 2007 has started, there's a whole lot of potential for the PSP. In similar fashion to last year, I'll give you five PSP predictions, but be warned: these are far more daring than last year's incredibly accurate predictions. Feel free to disagree with me, or give your own predictions in the comments section.

PSP Prediction #1: Sony will introduce a new portable addition to the PlayStation brand.
And it won't be a PSP redesign. In many ways, it will be exactly the same as the PSP: it will feature an upgradeable XMB that features Photos, Music and Videos. It will even be compatible with PSP accessories, such as the headset, GPS, and camera. Heck, it'll even play UMD movies. However, there's one thing it won't do: play games. The device will be set as a competitor to the iPod and will feature a portable hard drive. It'll be smaller than a PSP, feature a video-out, and will be compatible with a revamped PlayStation Store (see prediction #2).

PSP Prediction #2: Revamped PlayStation store features movies and music.
The Connect brand will be abandoned as Sony moves its digital distribution ambitions to the PlayStation Store. PS3 owners will be able to download HD movies directly to their systems. The 1080P downloads will also include free access to PSP-formatted versions of the film as an added value. The PlayStation Store will expand to the PC (but not the Mac), and will offer games, movies, and music for all of Sony's gaming and non-gaming platforms. With unrestricted access to Columbia Pictures, and a large audience of media-hungry PS3 and PSP owners, the PlayStation Store will be successful (a very distant second next to Apple's iTunes Store).

PSP Prediction #3: A popular Microsoft franchise will appear on PSP.
Although there are rumors that Microsoft plans to transform Zune into a gaming device, I think Microsoft will skip this generation's battle and support the PSP with one title from its library (which includes franchises like Halo, Gears of War, MechAssault). They've already allowed Majesco and THQ to publish multiple DS & GBA games, such as Age of Empires.

PSP Prediction #4: A future firmware upgrade will boost PSP speed to 333MHz.
Sony will finally unlock the PSP's full technical potential by allowing developers to use all 333HMz of PSP's processing power (the system currently is limited to 222MHz). Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Stories will be among the first games released to take advantage of the upgrade.

PSP Prediction #5: Expect tons of established franchises & far less original IPs.
Okay, I wanted at least one sure-thing on this list. The PSP hasn't launched too many original IPs in its two-year life span. Publishers will look at sales and will continue to bring ports, remakes, and sequels to their established franchises. We'll see some of these announced or released throughout the year: Soul Calibur, Resident Evil, and yes, another Metal Gear Solid.

Agree or disagree, answer via comments

Shadowblind
January 3rd, 2007, 04:14
1 Likely

2 Yes, because Sony wants to steal an Xbox Live Marketplace type idea.

3 ...No. Microsoft, at the moment, hates Sony.

4 Possible

5 Yes

F9zDark
January 3rd, 2007, 04:15
Way to take conjecture, speculation and hearsay from all over the net and compile a list of 'predictions' with it.

Really, just cut the shit PSPFanboy, we all have gathered what Sony's plans are 2007.

For christ sake a revamped "Playstation Store" is a ****ing no brainer! Come on now! :mad:

yoshinatsu
January 3rd, 2007, 04:40
I agree with all of them, except the Microsoft franchise thing. It's not that easy to make a Microsoft game on the PSP...

Psyberjock
January 3rd, 2007, 06:06
The Dungeon Seige game is already a Microsoft franchise game. That prediction sucked.

Also the 333 MHz has already been used by some games hasn't it?? That's not new!

These predictions are not very insightful.

Basil Zero
January 3rd, 2007, 07:16
to me

1. 50 percent chance---portable media player wars begin lol

2. 40 percent chance---sounds interesting

3. 30 percent chance---maybe will happen, but doubt microsoft will make zune a game portable nor a huge game from a series like gears of war or halo will appear on psp, maybe some washed up cheap title lol
but like psyberjock said, there is one out already

4. -100 percent, already happened----umm than why is my 3.02 OE psp running out of juice quicker?

5. 100 percent chance---cause the so called ports will be ps2 games lol, other than that, there will be many original titles, cant wait for DMC on psp lol

Strangler
January 3rd, 2007, 08:32
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=925329&topic=32790228

"Hey guys.

I bought a used PSP almost 3 weeks ago which turned out to have a broken wireless LAN switch on it. But it wasn't a big deal since I was planning on modding it to run homebrew apps and such.

Now that the novelty of the PSP has worn off I can honestly say I'm glad I didn't pay full price for one...or for the games. I can't put my finger on it but something doesn't seem right about the games. They feel stale. I think part of the issue is the massive amount of ports. I originally wanted to play Mega Man Maverick Hunter X and Mega Man Powered Up. But now I don't want to touch those games anymore.

The only game I find interesting is Lumines, Metal Gear felt weird playing it on the PSP and Katamari was ok but the controls were a pain. I didn't get what people meant about the PSP having too many ports until just now, it has WAY too many ports of game I've already played or half-assed sequels to existing games.

To the PSP's credit, the Playstation 1 emulator is great (it's the hacked official Sony one) and I tend to play more PS1 games than I do PSP games.

"So why are you posting this to the DS board?" You may be asking.

Well I'm trying to figure out what makes the DS games better. I have a DS fat and a 9 games including mario kart, brain training, and Animal crossing. And I feel like I keep getting drawn back to my DS. I really like Animal Crossing WW (probably my favorite game of all right now) and Mario Kart never gets old. I mean aside from the let down from staring at the PSP's big pretty screen, the DS is just more fun.

The only saving grace for my PSP right now is being used as an MP3 player/ video player, and the homebrew I have running on it with SNES, Genesis, and PS1 games. I feel sorry for people who paid $200+ dollars for one (and those expensive games) as the system's software, in my opinion, doesn't have that magic that the DS has which makes you feel glad that you bought the system in the first place.

Anyone have any opinions, comments or insight as to why the DS games may be more "fun"? Feel free to post your opinions, I'd like to know myself."

"From what I understand, the only thing you can really do on the DS is pirate games, which I won't do since I'd rather reward good companies who treat their customers right (rare and admirable). So I guess the DS modding scene isn't for me."

"You know, I felt the same way. I recently bought a PSP...but I don't really want to hack it, and such, since I prefer PSX games on my TV and not on a small screen... In the end...I ended up using my PSP to play movies and music [even though it doens't do that as well as an iPod], and I just thought the DS has a lot of awesome games because I think they have a variety of different games that almost everyone can enjoy [if they give it the chance]. I mean, I have my DS for over a year, and I ended up playing it more than console games."

"i dont think its that they are bad ported games its just they feel and play differently on the psp

ok anyway

honestly i dont respect people who resort to illegal things like homebrew drugs and or mod chips

ok anyway

yeah its that the psp ones are ports not portable games

sure many can be stopped really quickly but you cant get much out of the game that way

anyway not a big problem for me as i have two 2 hour trips a week and id buy the psp just for my favourite series

which it turned out is what a did as i cant find any other good games

the psp is okay but is not a portable like the ds."

belialone
January 3rd, 2007, 11:22
a playstation without the ability to play games
it doesnt make sense cuz with all the portableplayers out (ipod,zune...) the market is full of other companies trying to make a fortune

Basil Zero
January 3rd, 2007, 17:09
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=925329&topic=32790228

"Hey guys.

I bought a used PSP almost 3 weeks ago which turned out to have a broken wireless LAN switch on it. But it wasn't a big deal since I was planning on modding it to run homebrew apps and such.

Now that the novelty of the PSP has worn off I can honestly say I'm glad I didn't pay full price for one...or for the games. I can't put my finger on it but something doesn't seem right about the games. They feel stale. I think part of the issue is the massive amount of ports. I originally wanted to play Mega Man Maverick Hunter X and Mega Man Powered Up. But now I don't want to touch those games anymore.

The only game I find interesting is Lumines, Metal Gear felt weird playing it on the PSP and Katamari was ok but the controls were a pain. I didn't get what people meant about the PSP having too many ports until just now, it has WAY too many ports of game I've already played or half-assed sequels to existing games.

To the PSP's credit, the Playstation 1 emulator is great (it's the hacked official Sony one) and I tend to play more PS1 games than I do PSP games.

"So why are you posting this to the DS board?" You may be asking.

Well I'm trying to figure out what makes the DS games better. I have a DS fat and a 9 games including mario kart, brain training, and Animal crossing. And I feel like I keep getting drawn back to my DS. I really like Animal Crossing WW (probably my favorite game of all right now) and Mario Kart never gets old. I mean aside from the let down from staring at the PSP's big pretty screen, the DS is just more fun.

The only saving grace for my PSP right now is being used as an MP3 player/ video player, and the homebrew I have running on it with SNES, Genesis, and PS1 games. I feel sorry for people who paid $200+ dollars for one (and those expensive games) as the system's software, in my opinion, doesn't have that magic that the DS has which makes you feel glad that you bought the system in the first place.

Anyone have any opinions, comments or insight as to why the DS games may be more "fun"? Feel free to post your opinions, I'd like to know myself."

"From what I understand, the only thing you can really do on the DS is pirate games, which I won't do since I'd rather reward good companies who treat their customers right (rare and admirable). So I guess the DS modding scene isn't for me."

"You know, I felt the same way. I recently bought a PSP...but I don't really want to hack it, and such, since I prefer PSX games on my TV and not on a small screen... In the end...I ended up using my PSP to play movies and music [even though it doens't do that as well as an iPod], and I just thought the DS has a lot of awesome games because I think they have a variety of different games that almost everyone can enjoy [if they give it the chance]. I mean, I have my DS for over a year, and I ended up playing it more than console games."

"i dont think its that they are bad ported games its just they feel and play differently on the psp

ok anyway

honestly i dont respect people who resort to illegal things like homebrew drugs and or mod chips

ok anyway

yeah its that the psp ones are ports not portable games

sure many can be stopped really quickly but you cant get much out of the game that way

anyway not a big problem for me as i have two 2 hour trips a week and id buy the psp just for my favourite series

which it turned out is what a did as i cant find any other good games

the psp is okay but is not a portable like the ds."

homebrew drugs? lol

and what was the point of posting this?

UchihaSasuke
January 3rd, 2007, 18:10
homebrew drugs? lol

and what was the point of posting this?

That guy strangler has been posting the same s*** in about 6 different threats

baracki96
January 3rd, 2007, 21:48
I say both #2 & #4 are likely to happen, as microsoft's xbox-live market place has proven tat formula true, and the 333mhz upgrade combined with clever and abundant advertising could seriously boost psp sales. #1 though I say is unlikely as although the psp has a big name, it can't compete with the ipod ( and I'm no Ipod fan, proud zune owner here) besides sony has released mp3 players before and they have had decent sales at most. Course' I could be wrong......

Strangler
January 5th, 2007, 00:53
it shows how people love nintendo. Nintendo is porbably the least bashed company in the historyof video games and the single success they had in yrs makes drone sof people love them so much more. WHen they were sucking and losing (n64 had about 4 good nintendo made non third party games and the gc only had one mario game while the ps2 had like 4 rachet and clank games and sly as well as other platformers) nobody gave them grief and even when the xbox came out people wanted the xbox to fial so bad nobody even said anything against nitnedno.

oh and this is besides their dirty business tactics in the mid and early 90s where trhey acted worse than sony or microsoft ever has.