PDA

View Full Version : PSP: 3.03OEA on its way from Dark AleX

tsurumaru
January 3rd, 2007, 17:29
Dark AleX has posted that he hopes to commence work on 3.03OEA custom Firmware soon and will be finished within a day! (Provided there are no problems I guess)

The following is taken from a post regarding psx2psp V 0.6

"There is a problem with the application.

The iso header offset currently MUST BE 0x50000, since one of the functions of popcorn that replaces a popsman function (to allow decrpted headers) will search the postheader at 0x50400, where are data needed by pops.prx.

I've seen than the appplication does not always generate the data there, and this could cause the generated pbp not to work properly.
In fact, this was one of the reasons of popstation to not allow big images.

Anyways this will be fixed in popcorn.prx of 3.03 OE-A by searching the iso offset in the pbp header, but currently in 3.02OE-B, isos whose header are not at 0x50000 cannot be guaranteed to work.
In fact they could work depending of the luck of the values of the data that are at offset 0x50400+.

No need to change nothing in the app anyways, since i may start working in 3.03 OE tomorrow, and it should be ready next day."

Looks like the next release will support psx compressed ISO's! (Thanks jak66)

Link to source (http://forums.maxconsole.net/showpost.php?p=346355&postcount=659)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
January 3rd, 2007, 17:41
Cool awsome news :)....

ACID
January 3rd, 2007, 17:59
It just keeps getting better and better.

jak66
January 3rd, 2007, 18:39
there was more info spilled by dax, maybe you didnt look in the particular thread, i posted about it here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47886), maybe you could add that to your post (having 1 post of all info is bound to be better than several posts all over the forums)

pubudu
January 3rd, 2007, 19:23
nice i hope theres some more new additions

Nikolaos
January 3rd, 2007, 19:24
nice , i hope there is cpu speed change : )

DarthPaul
January 3rd, 2007, 19:26
cool! but i dont see the fact...it will be like a 3.02oe-c cause there are not big changes from 3.02 to 3.03,just a few security changes...

alucard001
January 3rd, 2007, 19:30
umm, this whole post is around isos not working, i thought we couldn't talk about isos

Emeriastone
January 3rd, 2007, 19:32
Hooray!

jim80b
January 3rd, 2007, 19:34
umm, this whole post is around isos not working, i thought we couldn't talk about isos

this post is about PS1 games, which are already paid for and owned...
to convert them you need to have them on a pc as an iso for popstation

kcajblue
January 3rd, 2007, 19:50
this is awesome news. :D

Kassad
January 3rd, 2007, 20:11
dark alex is a god man. He has really worked to make psp owners happy. i am so happy now. my psp 3.03 will play psx games :)

weirdelf
January 3rd, 2007, 20:13
dark alex is a god man. He has really worked to make psp owners happy. i am so happy now. my psp 3.03 will play psx games :)

This does not enable 3.03 psps to use homebrew, it is a custom firmware and you must install fron 1.50, 2.71 se or 3.02 oe.

dj2005
January 3rd, 2007, 20:17
Some updated info: Link (http://forums.maxconsole.net/showpost.php?p=349350&postcount=1)

Kassad
January 3rd, 2007, 20:19
No!!!! Well I have to wait for a downgrader. Still great news..

johnhummel
January 3rd, 2007, 20:23
I wonder if there's any increase in PSX on PSP compatibility from 3.02 to 3.03 - probably not, since it was just "bug fixes".

I'm still hoping for an update that includes better compatibility (for games like "Resident Evil 2" and "Parasite Eve 2") and disk swapping - but no big rush. I'm happy with Dark Alex for all his hard work.

Veskgar
January 3rd, 2007, 20:33
cool! but i dont see the fact...it will be like a 3.02oe-c cause there are not big changes from 3.02 to 3.03,just a few security changes...

Well no, it won't be 3.02 OE-C as 3.03 is a different firmware version. 3.03 OE-A should open the door for more and more PSX games to work from the SONY download store.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Dark_AleX threw in a couple extra goodies ;)

Not really the same situation. I will talk about PSX ISOs that I make from my own games all day long. Why? Because SONY wants me to spend $600.00 for a PS3 and then pay more money to download games I already own on actual PSX discs just to be able to use the PSX Emulator.

But much thanks again to the mighty Dark_AleX.

I wonder if there's any increase in PSX on PSP compatibility from 3.02 to 3.03 - probably not, since it was just "bug fixes".

Yes there should be. Sony released the game Medieval on their download store but it requires 3.03 and wouldn't run on official 3.02 firmware. So this next release from Dark_AleX should give better compatibility especially concerning official SONY download releases.

Anyway, on a side note, I and many others don't really appreciate the way SONY handles the PSP, PSP users, etc. They have spent so much time trying to LIMIT the PSP's uses that more than 2 years later SONY is finally SLOWLY starting to deliver. And I can't stress enough how ridiculous the move to require people to own a PS3 before letting them enjoy PSX emulation.

samthegreat68
January 3rd, 2007, 20:34
this is going to support compressed iso's? how many megabytes does compressing shave off?

i have a 2 gig and a 512 MB memory cards so i might be good, i havent tried any of this yet

Veskgar
January 3rd, 2007, 20:52
this is going to support compressed iso's? how many megabytes does compressing shave off?

Well comparing the size of SONYs EBOOTs to my own EBOOTs that I converted from my games I am going to make an educated guess and say that compressing the EBOOTs will vary greatly based on game but on average it should shave off approximately 200MB. SWEEEEEET!

The possibility of compressing PSX images when converting them to an eboot.pbp and also a decrypted document.dat (manual) are on the cards for the release. When is the release? Perhaps tomorrow, but stay tuned to the forums where DA will be posting up his work as and when completed as per normal.

Excuse me, I just wet my pants in excitement. Be right back............................

Now I will go on one of my many rants about why I think SONY screwed themselves. To give a little background on where I am coming from I'll just say that I got into PSP ISOs because it was the ONLY way I could enjoy homebrew and play new commercial games. If SONY just allowed commercial UMD's to play on any firmware I could care less about ISOs and would use UMD's more.

So here we are again. I was really backing SONY on their PSX emulation endeavor. I was willing to pay $5.00 or $10.00 for PSX games with the promise of full speed & sound. Then SONY finally delivers and what do they deliver? 3 or 4 games at first? Come on..... Wait, I had to buy a PS3 also to use the 3 or 4 PSX games? Hmmm.... I thought SONY would do us better. PSP users want CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT. We are starved and no matter how much we get we want MORE MORE MORE...... MORE DAMMIT!!!! Sorry, got a little carried away in the moment.....

Anyways, the most fabulous Christmas present of all time came around on December 25th 2006 when Dark_AleX released 3.02 OE-B with the popstation converter. And with 3.03 OE-A having compressed EBOOT support, Game manual (.DAT) support, and the ability to customize my EBOOTs with animations, sounds, icons, etc. etc. etc. its actually BETTER than what SONY delivered.

Yes, that is right. Dark_AleX is better than SONY! And now because SONY was yet again too little too late, I will just convert my PSX games myself instead of paying SONY to do it for me.

Good job SONY! You spend so much time trying to best the homebrew scene and yet it comes right around and actually hurts you more than it helps.

Does everyone agree with me or am I just a little too cynical today?

nyrtrublue
January 3rd, 2007, 21:05
There wont be anything sony could possibly do to get me to update at this point besides buy me a ps3 and the new psp after this release.

If im still using the hot shots golf save is there anyway to edit the pbp without losing my save?

DarthPaul
January 3rd, 2007, 21:09
Well comparing the size of SONYs EBOOTs to my own EBOOTs that I converted from my games I am going to make an educated guess and say that compressing the EBOOTs will vary greatly based on game but on average it should shave off approximately 200MB. SWEEEEEET!

Excuse me, I just wet my pants in excitement. Be right back............................

Now I will go on one of my many rants about why I think SONY screwed themselves. To give a little background on where I am coming from I'll just say that I got into PSP ISOs because it was the ONLY way I could enjoy homebrew and play new commercial games. If SONY just allowed commercial UMD's to play on any firmware I could care less about ISOs and would use UMD's more.

So here we are again. I was really backing SONY on their PSX emulation endeavor. I was willing to pay $5.00 or $10.00 for PSX games with the promise of full speed & sound. Then SONY finally delivers and what do they deliver? 3 or 4 games at first? Come on..... Wait, I had to buy a PS3 also to use the 3 or 4 PSX games? Hmmm.... I thought SONY would do us better. PSP users want CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT. We are starved and no matter how much we get we want MORE MORE MORE...... MORE DAMMIT!!!! Sorry, got a little carried away in the moment.....

Anyways, the most fabulous Christmas present of all time came around on December 25th 2006 when Dark_AleX released 3.02 OE-B with the popstation converter. And with 3.03 OE-A having compressed EBOOT support, Game manual (.DAT) support, and the ability to customize my EBOOTs with animations, sounds, icons, etc. etc. etc. its actually BETTER than what SONY delivered.

Yes, that is right. Dark_AleX is better than SONY! And now because SONY was yet again too little too late, I will just convert my PSX games myself instead of paying SONY to do it for me.

Good job SONY! You spend so much time trying to best the homebrew scene and yet it comes right around and actually hurts you more than it helps.

Does everyone agree with me or am I just a little too cynical today?

Agree 100% with you,Youre the MAN!!! lol!

Shrygue
January 3rd, 2007, 21:11
Likewise

jak66
January 3rd, 2007, 21:16
If im still using the hot shots golf save is there anyway to edit the pbp without losing my save?

You could use one of the many GUIs (i.e. PSX2PSP) as they can change it when you create the eboot (along with letting you define custom icon0s, pic0s, pic1s, snd0s and icon1s)

baracki96
January 3rd, 2007, 21:38
Nice, with all these fw upgrades, we may never have to worry about incompatible firmwares again, Nice work Dark_Alex.

mikebeaver
January 3rd, 2007, 21:53
yeah its great news that talented coders such as Dark_Alex, fanjita, Ookm etc are all working so hard to help us play the older games we love so dearly
I feel sorry for Sony in a way, they have a really good hand held console, and not a sole who can do anything right in there work force.
All we asked was to be able to download are games from them directly to our PSP, simple you saybut oh no, they want to be gready and make you have a PS3 FU Sony, not everyone has a months wages to spend on your new super deluxe, toast making, ice freezing, blu ray spinning piece of hardwar, youve just priced yourself out of the game!

jimmi
January 3rd, 2007, 22:00
yeah dudes i say sony have tried so hard to beat the homebrew seen rather than focus on market research of what the people want that they keep getting hurt... poor sony dudes, poor sony. long live dark alex

jak66
January 3rd, 2007, 22:05
long live dark alex

all we need him to do now is add a popcorn maker in one of these releases and itll be the best firmware ever!!!11!one!

lol, yep, it is preaty amazing how 4 people (It is 4 isn't it?) can screw Sony over and use there own stuff against them....

Now imagine how good firmware updates would be if DAX, HarleyG, etc work for Sony....You'd probably actually want to update your PSP

s075933
January 3rd, 2007, 22:08
Will you be able to update from 3.02 OE-?

xg917
January 3rd, 2007, 22:13
i suppose, since 2.71 se can update or 3.02 oe

mikebeaver
January 3rd, 2007, 22:18
I imagine so but you will probably have to go through the datadxar creation againas it is a new irmware update, not just a revision to an existing one, but im not sure yet, its been delayedfor another 24 hours so i hear :(

Pomp
January 3rd, 2007, 22:19
I feel sorry for Sony in a way, they have a really good hand held console, and not a sole who can do anything right in there work force.

That's harsh, considering the workforce was the creator of the outstanding PSX emulation for the PSP. Don't go criticizing masses when you don't realize what's going on.. It is managers who decide which things will be implemented, and the the workforce that does all the work.

alucard001, too bad nobody here (but admins) seem to notice potential copyright implications.. You are right, obviously, there are some grey-area double standards going on.. But I think things will be ok..

jak66
January 3rd, 2007, 22:22
Will you be able to update from 3.02 OE-?

on 1.5 kernal, yes

mikebeaver
January 3rd, 2007, 22:51
Don't go criticizing masses when you don't realize what's going on.. It is managers who decide which things will be implemented, and the the workforce that does all the work.

This is a valid point,there are some good coders at Sony, but they are just sheep following orders! Their was a time when coders were the life of a game or in this case an emulator, when the people who were to use it came first, something about traditional dev's is lacking with todays large corporate software houses, they just DONT care as long as they get your money.Sony did do a good job on the PS1 emulator, but remember, they have COMPLETE access to all the PSP resources ever created, all the stuff done by the homebrew community is with a limited SDk and hardly any sponsorship imagine what would be possible with a Sony dev kit ! Sony are a multiu-million dollar company, our homebrew codders are multi-dollar people with hearts of gold and amazing skills.
Sony had no need to restrict the use of Popstation to PS3's, in doing so they have lost customers, people who would have given up homebrew for good PS1 games with official support, not everyone can afford a PS3 and if they can it's only in the USA and Japan at the moment.
Now people will just convert their old games, or worse still get them illegally, which will damage and infuriate Sony even more.

blackwolf
January 3rd, 2007, 23:13
any one know if this wll support more than 4gb. 2.81 should support more than 4gb.

Veskgar
January 3rd, 2007, 23:20
any one know if this wll support more than 4gb. 2.81 should support more than 4gb.

That is a good question. And if the 3.03 OE-A can go higher than 4GB, what is the new CAP?

I ask this because remember SONY & SanDisk are partnering to make a 32GB memory stick.

3.03 OE-A + 32GB memory stick = Endless Fun!

mikebeaver
January 3rd, 2007, 23:33
think it is an 8 Gb cap, as the new Sony/ Sandisk Mem Sticks are only in the initial development stages, thereis no way they could be compatable with the current hardware as the full specs or it are unknown even to Sony.

blackwolf
January 3rd, 2007, 23:40
That is a good question. And if the 3.03 OE-A can go higher than 4GB, what is the new CAP?

I ask this because remember SONY & SanDisk are partnering to make a 32GB memory stick.

3.03 OE-A + 32GB memory stick = Endless Fun!

my god. you could fit about 50 psx games on that card....

A tear come to my eye thinking about that. LOL DA keep it up man.

Message to sony. keep cranking the firmware updates out and DA will make it better for the underground psp users... muhaahaaahaaahaaahaaa

Veskgar
January 3rd, 2007, 23:48
think it is an 8 Gb cap, as the new Sony/ Sandisk Mem Sticks are only in the initial development stages, thereis no way they could be compatable with the current hardware as the full specs or it are unknown even to Sony.

I did initially think that also but then I remembered that the next PSP will have a built in 60GB hard drive. So the 32GB memory card which is a PRO Duo I believe would be better geared towards the current PSP hardware version.

Most people who buy the next PSP(2) will not spend extra money on a memory card if it already comes with 60GB of internal storage capacity.

fucht017
January 4th, 2007, 00:45
Maybe it's not the right forum to ask.But do you guys have problems with resident evil2..When you get in the police station the screens get black,but the sound stay's..:(

Tetris999
January 4th, 2007, 01:05
compressed iso's make my mouth water

Veskgar
January 4th, 2007, 01:25
Maybe it's not the right forum to ask.But do you guys have problems with resident evil2..When you get in the police station the screens get black,but the sound stay's..:(

Yeah, its a known problem. No version of RE2 works yet as far as I know.

wolfpack
January 4th, 2007, 01:30
who knows, maybe itll be fixed in the next version

jpolz
January 4th, 2007, 01:31
compressed iso's make my mouth water

How does one go about making a compressed ISO image?

JD/
January 4th, 2007, 01:56
Compressed ISO's would be nice but usbhost or nethost would be better.

fucht017
January 4th, 2007, 02:59
Pocket/iso wil do the job..only i don't know what kind a file pocketIso makes...DAX or something..here is hope eh.

pt9087
January 4th, 2007, 03:01
Good, cant wait for this

ab88
January 4th, 2007, 03:06
Compressed ISO's would be nice but usbhost or nethost would be better.

I have to disagree, then it would just become a PS and not a PSP. Although that would be sweet too ;)

nyrtrublue
January 4th, 2007, 03:28
I wish i was old enough for a credit card and a paypal account so i could donate to Dax :( i told my dad id pay him to donate but he just doesnt understand sry Dax.

kalhalla
January 4th, 2007, 03:58
So for 3.03 OE-A, will we 3.02 OE-B users have to downgrade BACK to 1.50, and then reupgrade to 3.03 OE-B? Or you guys think it will be a simple upgrade as 3.02 A -> B was?

Veskgar
January 4th, 2007, 05:13
So for 3.03 OE-A, will we 3.02 OE-B users have to downgrade BACK to 1.50, and then reupgrade to 3.03 OE-B? Or you guys think it will be a simple upgrade as 3.02 A -> B was?

Good question. It would kinda be a pain to have to downgrade/upgrade everytime an update comes out. I think with 3.03 OE-A Dark_AleX will likely focus on revisions instead of entire new custom firmwares. Like maybe 3.03 OE-B, OE-C, etc. etc.

All this talk about it and its not even here yet. I'm going to enjoy 3.02 OE-B and let the next release take its time. If its here tomorrow, great. If it takes a couple weeks or months so be it.

Nobody should ever question Dark_AleX. He obviously knows what he's doing and everything he puts out causes a huge ripple-effect through a global homebrew community.

mogwaimon
January 4th, 2007, 06:56
I just hope the CPU speed function is implemented into the recovery console on this one. I nearly bricked my PSP the other day trying to get OCModule.prx installed, thank God for Dark Alex and his recovery console!

kalhalla
January 4th, 2007, 07:14
Naw I wasn't questioning HIM, just your thoughts on how you think it will be released.

Either way I will probably end up "updating" [to it] XD

And positively he causes a ripple; once I get a PayPal set up, I'm definately donating. He deserves it. . .but until then, major props.

tsurumaru
January 4th, 2007, 19:17
3.03OE-A out now, see PSP news.