PDA

View Full Version : Debunking a PSP myth: it has no good games

wraggster
January 4th, 2007, 01:29
via PSPfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/01/03/debunking-a-psp-myth-it-has-no-good-games/)

Anyone that has been around the Internet block or visited a game store lately may have heard someone claim the PSP has little to no good games on the platform. If you're anything like me, you like to wear your girlfriend's underwear and you also hate to hear bad words about the PSP. My personal PSP game collection is larger than my DS or Xbox 360 game libraries and after hearing about the lack of great games on the system so often, I began to wonder if perhaps I just had a terrible taste in games. While I can't prove that my gaming interests are worthwhile, I did dig up some info on the PSP library and whether or not there are many quality games on the system.

It isn't just gaming fans who dis the PSP, critics do as well. Keeping that in mind, I wondered how the PSP game library critically stacked up against its competitor; the oft praised DS. What I found may be surprising.

Data Collected from Metacritic

Amount of US released PSP games rated 80 and above: 38 (not counting Advent Children since it isn't a game)

Amount of US released DS games rated 80 and above: 28 (and 4 of those are versions of Nintendogs)

So it seems that these same critics that praise PSP games, must have a short-term memory when they bash the system's lack of quality titles. I'm in no way trying to put down the DS with the example listed above, just attempting to prove that the PSP isn't devoid of quality like an episode of War at Home. Hopefully fellow PSP fanboys can use the above proof to dissuade negative words about your system of choice. In any case, it should make you feel good about owning the system.

yoshinatsu
January 4th, 2007, 01:56
The DS has much more quality games than the DS. Period.
Plus, when a reviewer plays a game, he may not be in the mood to play this game or play games at all. We can't rely on reviewers' points or whatever. Players' opinions is all that matters.

Nevuk
January 4th, 2007, 02:05
The DS has much more quality games than the DS. Period.

O rly? (Sorry, had to do it)

Ramza042
January 4th, 2007, 02:10
O rly? (Sorry, had to do it)

Teh PWN (Me too. Haha.)

Seriously, though, I own 11 PSP UMDs and with the exception of "The Con" I love them all. And The Con's really not that bad, just not great.

bwlfp
January 4th, 2007, 02:13
YEAH I'm sick of hearing this c**p as well, the PSP not only has great games but well err homebrew and movies, it kicks the DSs asssss!!!

slayer2psp
January 4th, 2007, 02:37
the ds sucks its got nothing on the psp. give me a break im so tried of people saying the ds games are better. what drugs do you people take i just dont get it. gta, medal of honor, socom, pro race driver 2006, def jam, madden 07, syphon filter, daxter, dark alexs firmware were i can play 100s of ps1 games should i go on. every one of these games is better the any of the 32mb ds games give me a break the biggest ds game is 128mb lame the psp has real games some well over a 1gb of info yes i know just becuse its bigger doesnt make it better but it does this time and before i get flamed by nintendo lovers i have a ds with m3 ive played every damn game thats come out for the ds and psp. its not even close whats better the psp is the best handheld game device every made period and i hate sony but good is good. and the 360 is the best console with the best games.

Makaveli777
January 4th, 2007, 02:50
This is true and has been true. I still fail to realize why psp's commercial games are hated on so often especially since they aren't bad. Could it be that the people doing the hating has never played the games they are hating on?

the_eternal_dark
January 4th, 2007, 02:52
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6405445518216376043&q=ds+sucks&hl=en

You know, you all really sound like this guy, especially you slayer2psp. I agree, homebrew is better on the PSP, but the commercial games you state that are better are a matter of opinion rather than actual fact.

Play the sh*t you like and quit the bashing.

*edit* the DS sucks, the DSLite is what is owning the PSP right now.

Jonesyxxiv
January 4th, 2007, 02:54
My DS has just been sitting in my room collecting dust for months but I use my PSP everyday with games like MGS and GTA, all my homebrew, and my PS1 games on my PSP thanks to DAX.

felonyr301
January 4th, 2007, 02:55
kinda like how xbox 1 vs the ps2 in reality the xbox had more quality games than the ps2 had and we all know the ps2 came out with the most games too. Same scenario but of course its all a matter of opinion.

pt9087
January 4th, 2007, 02:56
DS sucks, I have to say the psp games other then loco roco are not too impressive and maybe pes6 and nfs carbon and also socom and maybe fifa street 2 and errm well maybe most of the games are good.

LazerTag
January 4th, 2007, 02:58
I am a PSP owner whom thinks the DS sucks also. I have not owned a DS nor do I want one personally as it really does not offer to me what I can get on my PSP.

That said, games are personal preference.

I think Loco Roco, Exit, and Metal Gear Acid are great very fun to play. That's not say there are not plenty of other titles that possibly grab others attention, but for this PSP owner there 3 whole titles that keep me coming back. I personally would like more. And I'm not saying the others are total crap, no not at all. In fact Death Jr. 1 and 2 were OK. X-Men Legends and Rise of the Imperfects were fun for a bit too, but they just don't keep the attention.

Now to emulation and homebrew on the PSP, WOW! That's what I bought it for and the staple of why I carry the thing with me everywhere I go. I could go on and on here, but real homebrew PSP users know.

the_eternal_dark
January 4th, 2007, 02:58
Also, homebrew doesn't count towards the commercial games market, so quit bringing that up.

ab88
January 4th, 2007, 03:00
Have a DS = 4 good games, crappy graphics (in comparison)
PSP = 7 also good games, slightly bettr graphics. Plus all the extras (HB, music, bal, bla, bla)
It all depends on tastes.

Also, homebrew doesn't count towards the commercial games market, so quit bringing that up.

OMG YOU ARE RIGHT *goes to sell PSP on ebay*[/end sarcasm]

Now to emulation and homebrew on the PSP, WOW! That's what I bought it for and the staple of why I carry the thing with me everywhere I go. I could go on and on here, but real homebrew PSP users know.

Even if it is not a commercial "feature" doesn't mean it's not a good reason to own one. In fact I think many would have sold theirs (or never bought one like me) if it wasn't for HB.

Jonesyxxiv
January 4th, 2007, 03:03
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6405445518216376043&q=ds+sucks&hl=en

You know, you all really sound like this guy, especially you slayer2psp. I agree, homebrew is better on the PSP, but the commercial games you state that are better are a matter of opinion rather than actual fact.

Play the sh*t you like and quit the bashing.

*edit* the DS sucks, the DSLite is what is owning the PSP right now.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=902109023681812200&q=ds+sucks&hl=en
Same guy bashing the PSP.
watch both of these videos they are wicked funny.

Nevuk
January 4th, 2007, 03:11
PSP has better games. However, they aren't as fun, I mean, Tales of Eternia was a great game, but it wasn't one i'd play on the go. Same goes for like Syphon Filter : Dark Mirror, etc. PSP game designers are a bit off in how to target games right.

Psphreak
January 4th, 2007, 03:17
IMO, PSP kicks ass in homebrew, hence the reason I got it. The games I like are only a handful, and now that the PSX games are playable on the PSP, that's a big plus. I have a DS Lite and the games are much more engaging and those of the PSP. Still though, I enjoy the systems for what they have; PSP=homebrew, DS=Commercial games. Graphics are definitely better on the PSP but that's not a defining winner.

snkrock25
January 4th, 2007, 04:13
own a DS and PSP, so here's my 2 scents.

I believe the negative public opinion of games is mainly due to the fact that the games rarely satisfy the 'portable' aspect of portable gaming. Meaning, PSP games often demand an uncomfortable minimum investment of time to play them, sometimes due to the game actually taking close to a full minute just to load a scenario.Games can be paused and resumed with a sleep feature which definitely helps.

Other times, i think, its due to lazy game direction. I think developers have been approaching game development on the psp the same way as they did with the ps2. Not that all games are ports, but in every sense of the word they give us 'Playstation Portable' in that a lot of the games seem like they would actually be better suited for a console. PS3 people can go download Tekken 5. Everything that is in a console game can be found in this handheld, but none of the charm that made a lot of us fall in love with handhelds in the past.

I blame nintendo with the fact that they've made a lot of monumental handheld games for their gameboy line in the past decade. It's made the public a little spoiled/jaded. And because they kept pushing the envelope on their handhelds, it continues to inspire 3rd party developers to do the same. A lot of their games can be picked up, played for a while, and put back down to be resumed at a later time in 5 minute sessions (in my experience).

A lot of Sony's strength's have been that their developers consistantly 1 upping each other with gameplay. With all the great games that came out in 2006 that pushed the envelope in gameplay, i truely believe the psp can hit its stride in 2007. But on a handheld, gameplay is only great if it can start in less than 30 seconds.

Now Loading...

Ramza042
January 4th, 2007, 04:25
I have to agree, it takes an insane amout of time just to start a psp game from UMD, (one good thing about 3.02oe-b, backups load MUCH faster than umd) and even my GBA emulator is up and running before I can even get the umd door open. IF sony could come up with a storage medium that has the storage capacity in as small of a case as a UMD but with the speed of sd/duo pro, they would have the WIN. I love my PSP and every game I have, but the almost instant load times on a DS look more and more appealing each day.

Cloud1863
January 4th, 2007, 04:45
PSP fanboys are getting as bad as Xbox fanboys.

parker82
January 4th, 2007, 05:29
I think snkrock25 explained it best.

The PSP has a lot of great games but misses the mark with the whole "portable" aspect of things (which is why it gets ragged on).

I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone, but a lot of the good PSP games I'm interested in are ports I'd rather play on the PS2 (like Tekken, Need for Speed, WWE, GTA). Other than the fact that it's "portable" and maybe I can multiplay with other PSP users, there's no other incentive to get the same games I can play on my big screen TV.

In comparison, many of the good games for the DS are unique to the system and play differently on the DS. And they're easier to pickup for a quick game on the road.

I don't think it's fair to say the PSP doesn't have good games because it definitely does. I would say the games on a DS aren't better in quality but better for a portable system.

Basil Zero
January 4th, 2007, 05:38
i agree, there are far more better quality games than DS

but the fact why Fanboys say DS is better is because of the big named titles such as mario and Final Fantasy seems to overshadow some of the least heard of games or games that are well known, just not known as the bigger franchises like Mario and FF.

voorheesda
January 4th, 2007, 06:32
One mans opinion is not mankinds opinion. Some people seems to be born anti-psp. Ive got both DS and PSP and i personally think that the PSP got a wider range of games, fun games. And all the extra stuff on the PSP makes DS look silly :I BUT! Nintendo DS is a great console too. They are good at different stuff. For example, you cannot really compare XBOX360 and Nintendo WII. Wii has a complete different way of gaming.

the_eternal_dark
January 4th, 2007, 06:51
One mans opinion is not mankinds opinion. Some people seems to be born anti-psp. Ive got both DS and PSP and i personally think that the PSP got a wider range of games, fun games. And all the extra stuff on the PSP makes DS look silly :I BUT! Nintendo DS is a great console too. They are good at different stuff. For example, you cannot really compare XBOX360 and Nintendo WII. Wii has a complete different way of gaming.

That's the best comparison I've seen so far.

mogwaimon
January 4th, 2007, 06:53
I agree with Voorheesda. I own both a DS and a PSP, and both systems have a great library, IMO. My PSP, however, does have the edge because of homebrew and emulators and such; but my DS still has great games. Not just Final Fantasy and Mario, either; there's Phoenix Wright, Jump Superstars, Trauma Center, and a myriad of others.

Also, another thing going for DS over PSP is that a majority of PSP games tend to be ports or remakes, which is really why most people rag on the PSP library. There's few original titles for PSP if you think about it.. Even GTA LCS and VCS are still pretty much the same experiences as on PS2/Xbox, even if they present a new storyline. Most I can think of for original PSP games are Locoroco, Lumines, Infected, MGS Acid, Exit, and a few others at the moment....

However, that's not to say that PSP games are low quality...and also, let's not forget that the DS is the platform that most of the shitty licensed games will be going to after the GBA is finished off...

Endlessrain
January 4th, 2007, 07:47
Stop trying to 'soften the blow' as it were about the fact that the DS is doing better than the PSP, reviewers opinions mean sod all.

jonezybaby
January 4th, 2007, 08:48
what pisses me off is people that jerk off to nintendo come on to the psp forums and start bad mouchin psp!! personally DS is no match for psp. PSP wins hands down!!

belialone
January 4th, 2007, 10:32
i dont have a ds and never will not because its shitty it just dont fit my needs
its about what you expect from a system which makes decide to buy it or not
the majority of the ds users play it because its simple and fun
psp on the other hand is multi functional but harder to use
since there are no other handheld systems competing with these 2 we have to compare them
but its not good to compare them cuz they are totally different

irongiant
January 4th, 2007, 10:39
Huh.. he's just literally copied my post on here from a couple of weeks back and posted it as his story on the PSPFanboy site. Suppose i should be flattered.

Darkpaladin
January 4th, 2007, 11:27
I have both a DS and a PSP, both have some great games on them, however the original DS to me just feels really cheaply made, the touch screen actually has like a 1mm gap between the plastic and stuff easily gets caught between it, the corners of the DS touch screen are really unsensitive, i have to press the quit button for pictochat about 5 times before it actually quits. The psp just feels much higher quality and it has some great features such as being to watch videos on it and browse the internet from my room.

Yungblaqs
January 4th, 2007, 11:39
I played the nintendo DS just yesterday and I loved it!! I'm scared to say that I might get rid of my psp!!!

Hiei311
January 4th, 2007, 11:45
ok yes right now dslite is owning the psp, but i had a ds for a few months and gaved it away, it sat 4 months collecting dust becuz there is much intersting games, once the psp remodel comes out it will kill

Boardman2411
January 4th, 2007, 13:02
who really cares who is doing better. fair enough, it is an interesting peice of news (i am a psp fan, not a ds fan), but it is a fact.

phsychokill
January 4th, 2007, 13:52
the problem i see here is every1 is saying well the psp can play movies mp3's and homebrew and emulators. so i have all that on my ds and its actualy smaller if you buy the flash cart for the ds that is no diferant to buying a mem card for the psp it can do the same the diferance being every single ds can be used the way a 1.5 psp would be i own both i have 3.02 oe-b on my psp and a G6 lite flash card for my ds lite. i play my ds more than i play the psp its bettery seems to last longer than the psp and the games seem alot better than just another system port that the majority of psp games. the last psp game i played was vice city storys and then i got sick of it after about 10 minuets. so in my opnion yes the gfx may be more advanced on the psp but then the wii is outselling the xbox 360 and the 360 is more powerfull than the wii. just because something looks good on the surface doesnt make a game good.

nomi
January 4th, 2007, 14:11
I own a PSP and a DS....
But i havent played my ds in AGES! my psp is wid me everyday. lets see the lineup: MGS PO, GTA LCS GTA VCS, Splinter Cell: E, and alot of other good games. I agree the psp has had its bad share of games BUT ITS GOT ONE HECK OF A GOOD LIBRARY OF GAMES. in my opinion: PSP OWNS DS! DS FOR KIDS PSP FOR GROWNUPS!

the_eternal_dark
January 4th, 2007, 14:38
I own a PSP and a DS....
But i havent played my ds in AGES! my psp is wid me everyday. lets see the lineup: MGS PO, GTA LCS GTA VCS, Splinter Cell: E, and alot of other good games. I agree the psp has had its bad share of games BUT ITS GOT ONE HECK OF A GOOD LIBRARY OF GAMES. in my opinion: PSP OWNS DS! DS FOR KIDS PSP FOR GROWNUPS!

Why does everyone say this?

I'm not saying the PSP doesn't have good games, just a lack of games I'm really interested in. If it wasn't for homebrew, I would have gotten rid of it long ago. My reasons for having a PSP: movies, homebrew (including the PS1 emulator, and speaking of, does anyone know if AC is going to finish his or not? I'm still interested to see how good his can get), Metal Gear Solid, Infected, LocoRoco, Socom, and a few others. My reasons for having a DS/DSLite: Mario, Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Electroplankton, PictoChat (come on, chatting without having to download anything?), and a few others.

And why in the hell is everyone still comparing the DS and PSP? The DS isn't being made anymore, the DSLite has taken its place (and it's much better than the previous version). And why are you comparing the PSP and DS if you don't have a DS?

And the redesigned PSP is going to be expensive as hell. It's Sony's way of raping us for another year before they drop the price again.

phsychokill
January 4th, 2007, 15:01
the ds and ds lite are prety much identical other than size and the software is slightly diferant but that was to stop the old flash carts working but in general the ds lite and ds fat is only basiclay the same ascomparing 2 psp firmwares they are still the same thing just a few little diferances. the fact is a ds lite or fat is still a ds so if people want to say ds why not? the psp has diferant main boards when compairing them should we specify the exact main board we want to compair to the exact ds version. being picky on game diferances about lite and fat is the same as saying a v7 ps2 and v8 ps2 are both totaly diferant the fact is they still play the games so when compairing ther games what does the version matter?

end3rbr0
January 4th, 2007, 15:06
I'm 25 years old, I own a PSP and DSLite and I have to say.....PSP wins hands down, the ds is for little kids(I keep it around for my nephews to play) and the PSP's are for me and my friends, I been playin video games since I was a wee lad and I consider myself hardcore, I have owned every system since Intellivision. The point is, that real gamers don't own a DS for themselves and it doesn't matter how many dslites get sold, they are getting sold to people like me who buy them for their little kids or nephews or brothers. They aren't getting sold to real hardcore gamers(not with intentions of playing themselves anyways) Watch what happens when those same kids get older. If any of them transistions over from the little kid s*it they grew up on, to the more hardcore aspect of gaming, then they will own PSP and PS3 and junk that gay little DS because they want to be "grown up" like the big people and stop crappin in their huggies. look at the sales charts next time they drop and I will explain it to all of you when you think you can brag about outselling psp. It will say something like 114,000 DSLites sold in japan while the PSP only sold 40,000 and the ps2 with 23,000....etc. etc.
It breaks down like this

there are 114,000 brand new....fresh outa kindergarten nintendogs owners this month "whoops, I think little timmy had an accident"

and 40,000 veteran, "should I smoke a blunt while I play this game" HARDCORE MOTHERF*CK*N GAMERS that are now proud psp owners

The PSP has Games, Photos, Music, Pictures(with a camera) GPS, Internet, RSS, Location Free player, expandible media, PS1 Emulation and lets not forget the HOLY GRAIL of any video game system..........*drum roll*..........HOMEBREW!!!!!!
and a ton of it I might add....from apps that utilize the infa red and wifi, to perfect emulation for many of the most popular systems of our childhood.

The DS? ehh...New Super Mario Bros. was fun for the entire 45 minutes it took me to beat the game
I have messed with its homebrew features(nothing desirable) internet browsing sucks, although you would think it would be more enjoyable than the psp since it has the touch screen.....WRONG!
emulation blows, the system has no nuts whatsoever. It survives on the millions of Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon and Zelda lovers out there(with the exception of the zelda lovers, the rest of them are under 12 years old)Nintendo completely butchered it's Metroid franchise on the ds(I happen to love metroid, one of the greatest series ever.....until it came to DS) I mean, it is geared for kids, it is made small for little kids and MOST of all...it is made EASY for little kids.
Well youngsters, enjoy your kiddy toys, we hardcore gamers are gonna stick to the big kids toys.

Closing comments.....
While perhaps innovative and fun for kids and old people who have troubling reading. The DSLite falls far short of spectacular as others would have you believe. While the PSP is coming into it's own and pushing the envelope on original games and great ports from his two big brothers. The recent addition of custom firmware and releases almost as frequent as sony themselves.....look for the PSP to become THE handheld gaming system of 2007. :)

pt9087
January 4th, 2007, 15:09
Wow four pages on DS vs PSP

end3rbr0
January 4th, 2007, 15:17
The DSlite is smaller, lighter, and brighter than the DS
THATS IT FOLKS....
no new gps or camera addons.
Bigger screens? EHHHHH!!! WRONG!!!
same size
it is like having the original playstation and then buying the PS1 when it was released
OMG it is 20 percent smaller and even cheaper than before!!!
so what.
there is nothing about the DSLite that makes the games for it better
where as with PSP
you have inovation such as the GPS locator being used with MGS: PO to look for new players
or searching for wifi hotspots to download new characters IN-GAME
oh you mean you want to put your face into your basketball game with the new camera? Good thing you have a psp.....
Cause you can't do sh*t like that on the DS or the DSlite, since they are the same f*c*ing thing anyways. so stop being so ficle, people buy the new ds for two reasons
it looks cooler for one.
second, they don't make the old one anymore so what choice do they have?
enough of this, DS blows....enough said

phsychokill
January 4th, 2007, 15:18
dont know how any1 can claim the psp is for hardcore gamers 90% of all games on it are on the ps2 pc or other consoles it has very very few titles that are psp only and the majority of the psp titles due to them being ports aint worth playing on the small screen. and i can play all the old consoles perfect on my ds.

end3rbr0
January 4th, 2007, 15:42
dont know how any1 can claim the psp is for hardcore gamers 90% of all games on it are on the ps2 pc or other consoles it has very very few titles that are psp only and the majority of the psp titles due to them being ports aint worth playing on the small screen. and i can play all the old consoles perfect on my ds.

All the old consoles perfect on your DS huh?
what old consoles would those be? If you are talking about emulators then sorry buddy, the psp has much faster and more accurate emulation than anything out on the DS. If you aren't talking about that then I don't know what to say accept....I feel sorry for you, you crazy person. Also if these old games aren't worth playing on a small screen.....why did you say you could play all the old consoles perfect on your DS? Which has a smaller screen. Hrmm.. Very interesting.
oh, and I would venture to say the majority of psp owners are a hardcore, closenit group of gamers(as evidence of the PS1 emulation explosion that is rocketing into history as we speak) cause the simple facts are, with my 4 gig memory stick, I can take litterally thousands of games with me, anywhere I go from atari to playstation, the possibilites are endless
and with over 6,000+games spanning across all the emulators that have been released, I find the PSP to be a much more versatile travel companion than anything nintendo has ever put out.
thanks for playing, try back when you have more than just your opinion.

phsychokill
January 4th, 2007, 17:14
on ds you can get flash carts capable of taking any size sd card so can get as much storage as a psp if not more then on top of that i have emulators for all nintendo consoles it was built into the flash carts firmware and works perfect i have also played most sega games on it if you actualy stopped being narrow minded and looked into you would relise there are plenty for the ds but if emulation is all you care about a pc is better it can emulate dreamcast ps2 and quite a few other high end systems.

the_eternal_dark
January 4th, 2007, 18:05
The DSlite is smaller, lighter, and brighter than the DS
THATS IT FOLKS....
1. no new gps or camera addons.
2. Bigger screens? EHHHHH!!! WRONG!!!
same size
3. it is like having the original playstation and then buying the PS1 when it was released
OMG it is 20 percent smaller and even cheaper than before!!!
so what.
4. there is nothing about the DSLite that makes the games for it better
where as with PSP
you have inovation such as the GPS locator being used with MGS: PO to look for new players
or searching for wifi hotspots to download new characters IN-GAME
oh you mean you want to put your face into your basketball game with the new camera? Good thing you have a psp.....
Cause you can't do sh*t like that on the DS or the DSlite, since they are the same f*c*ing thing anyways. so stop being so ficle, people buy the new ds for two reasons
it looks cooler for one.
second, they don't make the old one anymore so what choice do they have?
enough of this, DS blows....enough said

1. Who cares? GPS that is basically useless (unless you actually use it for a GPS system) outside of 1 game and a camera? Most phones have a better camera now, I know mine does.

2. You obviously don't own either or you'd be able to see for yourself the DSLite screens are bigger.

3. I bet you even still bought the new one...

4. Wow, your face in a basketball game? Sorry bud, I could care less if I'm in a game and it's not a great reason to get a cam I'm afraid.

All the old consoles perfect on your DS huh?
what old consoles would those be? If you are talking about emulators then sorry buddy, the psp has much faster and more accurate emulation than anything out on the DS. If you aren't talking about that then I don't know what to say accept....I feel sorry for you, you crazy person. Also if these old games aren't worth playing on a small screen.....why did you say you could play all the old consoles perfect on your DS? Which has a smaller screen. Hrmm.. Very interesting.
oh, and I would venture to say the majority of psp owners are a hardcore, closenit group of gamers(as evidence of the PS1 emulation explosion that is rocketing into history as we speak) cause the simple facts are, with my 4 gig memory stick, I can take litterally thousands of games with me, anywhere I go from atari to playstation, the possibilites are endless
and with over 6,000+games spanning across all the emulators that have been released, I find the PSP to be a much more versatile travel companion than anything nintendo has ever put out.
thanks for playing, try back when you have more than just your opinion.

Is this comment not reeking of opinions? Hardcore gamers and adult are 2 descriptions that PSP fanboys always bring up, but I'm not seeing it being displayed in any argument here.

All I'm seeing is "The DS is trash. And it's also garbage. It's crap." You really can't make a judgement if you haven't owned or played one, and no playing a demo of Nintendogs for 3 minutes does not constitute actually playing games on it. It seems that just one person makes a comment that the games are geared more towards children and others take it as gospel and preach it to the masses, and then they spread it out as well. It's getting sad you know.

I think that one guy was right, PSP fanboys are starting to look more like the Xbox fanboys now.

It looks like we are only going to get opinions here. But if you would like to share your opinions, you are entitled, but quit comparing hardware.

Ichijoe
January 4th, 2007, 18:27
The OP is correct now, whith the deepest thanks to Dark Alex, the PSP™ Videogameing System really does have at least Two decent games on it.

Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete, and
Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete

Other then that I would have said Legend of Heroes' A Tear of Vermilion or...
Legend of Heroes: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch

Sadly neither (with the only exception of the first which the Author failed to get having opted for the Ghost in the Shell Shot 'em up instead), would seem to be avalible to me here in any given German High-Street Shop(s),!! :(

And, poor 'ol S0NY is wondering why it can't flog it's lame does everything, and nothing well Player.
Opting to flood us with €30.00(EUR) UMD Movies that Nobody ever wanted in the first place!
And hardly any real Hardcore Gaming Titels.

The biggest slap in the Face I think came with Ridge Racer 2! I must remember to thank all my friends that allowed my to play this Game w/o having to waste any Cash on it. (whos ripping off who here S0NY??), I'd be damned if I wouldn't have thought I was playing the exact same Game (i.e. Ridge Racer 1), over again.

Ok so you finally get 'round to offering us the 'Carrot' (with your Stick in toe!) w/Firmware 3.x and the 'promise' of beeing able to play PSX Games.

Well where in the Hell did that go?
A lauch of only Five Titles (and really crappy Ones at that too! Everybody's Golf GTF Real S0NY!),.
The you have to audacity to tell us a Mont ahead that we wouldn't need your €599.99(EUR), wunder PS3 to use this 'Content, blatantly lying your Arse off to your End-users.

Well WTF are your plans now that People can use your wonderful Emulator against you and roll-there-own PSX™ Games without you?!

Do I feel sorry for you?!

...Possibly ~I really felt that the PSP™ would have succeeded where everyone else has failed against Nintendo before it.
As it's turning out, it would seem that the PSP™ will fair little better.

I myself have no pretensions of interest in a PSP˛™ Videogame System ~or even a PSP v1.50™ (that would be a Hardware Rev. NOT a Firmware One, besides 3.0x-OE-x has that pretty much covered),.

I will also say that the PS3™ will likely have a Hell of a time too, come the Next few Years.
Given your (S0NYs®) past performance with the PSP™, I'd be lying if I said my faith in you hasn't dropped like a Rock!

And, I'm not much thrilled in the Microshaft's Failbox 360 either!

So I have no dreams of Pre-Ordering that Failbox either.

It's really a shame that the PSP™had to come to this!
But, I feel it in my Heart that the PSP™ will not have much futher to go now that the last great hurdle (PSX™ Emulation has been reached),.

I mean who would be aresed enough to want to make Commercial Games for this System now?!
when the thing has more Holes in it then the last IE Bug Patch?!

I'd probably want to do the Failbox version first too...

S0NY's® Computer Entertainment Divisions' 'bout to tank hard in '07!!

carlitx
January 4th, 2007, 18:50
Ok heres my tell on PSP vs DS:

psp can surf the web, play movies, play music, play user made games and apps, and appeals to a larger crowd than the DS in my opinion b/c while the DS has alot of kiddie games that are very repetitive like mario and the nintendogs games(in no way am i dising mario i love that lill red pluber he was my first nes game) but it realy lacks in origonal games cause so far the gba and the DS is nothing but remakes and ports of old games that ppl are sick and tired of seeing.

mogwaimon
January 4th, 2007, 19:04
Well now...everyone's so hostile here XD I've a few points to make;

1.) As for DS playing emulated games perfectly...Well, in some cases it does, however, the PSP has better hardware, so even if you have a flashcart for your DS loaded with roms or whatever, compared to the PSP's hardware and emulator support, the DS has nothing on it. The DS's strength is innovative gameplay, not power.

2.) The DS is not kiddy. Yea, 99% of the games on the system lack a dark atmosphere or an M rating, but just because a game lacks blood doesn't mean it's 'kiddy'. Ever play Phoenix Wright?You need to have keen deductive reasoning to really get anywhere in the game, and young children wouldn't be able to understand it at all. Castlevania Portrait of Ruin is lauded as one of the best Castlevania games ever, and of course the aforementioned Final Fantasy 3 and the future FFXII sequel are on DS, and since when was FF or Castlevania 'kiddy'? You really need to rethink your principles if having a PSP makes you 'hardcore' and having a DS makes you a child.

I guess those are the main two things I'd like to say, other than the fact that no system is really a failure if it has memorable games on it (Dreamcast crashed and burned, yet it's got dozens of good games, to give an example)

the_eternal_dark
January 4th, 2007, 19:05
I doubt Sony will fail this year, especially with the promise of another Metal Gear Solid and quite possibly a new LocoRoco as well, but it won't do much to help the Playstation Store sales, that's a freaking joke.. Once the Pokemon games hit the states and UK, PSP will be beat down by Nintendo again. Of course, someone will come along and call me a fan boy and call it a kids game, but everyone still plays it (yes even some PSP fanboys play the older ones on emus).

Also, Metroid Prime for DS was never bought by me for single player (which blows outside of being a tutorial for gameplay), the multiplayer is what got me hooked.

Ok heres my tell on PSP vs DS:

psp can surf the web, play movies, play music, play user made games and apps, and appeals to a larger crowd than the DS in my opinion b/c while the DS has alot of kiddie games that are very repetitive like mario and the nintendogs games(in no way am i dising mario i love that lill red pluber he was my first nes game) but it realy lacks in origonal games cause so far the gba and the DS is nothing but remakes and ports of old games that ppl are sick and tired of seeing.

Yet all the games you mentioned have incredibly high sales (not sure about Nintendogs, I hate that f*cking game). If we are so tired of seeing them, why are we buying them? Who really cares if any game is a remake? Was it remade well? That is determined by actually playing the game, but the remake of Super Mario Bros. (also known as The New Super Mario Bros.) was surprisingly good and held the top spot of software sales for a good while. I love the remakes so far, even some on the PSP as well.

DessyDago
January 4th, 2007, 19:33
why does everyone have to feel justified in their purchases? Who cares the psp has some good games and the ds has some good games. My g/f owns a ds lite and I own a psp. We both switch off when we want to play a different thing. Even though right now she's been playing ff7 after I updated. Last point before the arguing, this topic was made about commercial games. Yes its great the psp can do lots of things, but the whole topic was the psp has some good commercial games. It will get better releases in 2007 and I think nintendo will get better releases also because of this renewed since in liking nintendo again. When playstation was the underdog you saw huge people just ragging on the n64 (I still think its a very underrated system) and now nintendo is seen as the underdog thats winning. Damn now i'm off topic too :rofl: . PSP > DS DSlite > PSP .... this is in sales :p

SSaxdude
January 4th, 2007, 21:50
I own a PSP, and I admit that the games aren't very good. Sure, there are some good ones, but they are mainly ports of PS2 games. But homebrew is where it's at.

the_eternal_dark
January 4th, 2007, 22:16
why does everyone have to feel justified in their purchases? Who cares the psp has some good games and the ds has some good games. My g/f owns a ds lite and I own a psp. We both switch off when we want to play a different thing. Even though right now she's been playing ff7 after I updated. Last point before the arguing, this topic was made about commercial games. Yes its great the psp can do lots of things, but the whole topic was the psp has some good commercial games. It will get better releases in 2007 and I think nintendo will get better releases also because of this renewed since in liking nintendo again. When playstation was the underdog you saw huge people just ragging on the n64 (I still think its a very underrated system) and now nintendo is seen as the underdog thats winning. Damn now i'm off topic too :rofl: . PSP > DS DSlite > PSP .... this is in sales :p

It's human nature to feel justified in something you own. All I was saying is that people seem to be extreme one way or another. Personally, I think it's all getting quite dumb. I have both, I love both, but you can't get others to see your views in their eyes.

It's all ok, most of the responses here have basically turned into a sh*t slinging contest (or flame war if you will).

This is my last post on this topic, I'm off to play with the new custom firmware for PSP, and to see if there is any other new homebrew for both systems. I'm outta here.

xnobugx
January 5th, 2007, 01:05
I own both. I like both equally.

You can get a browser for the DS. With homebrew applications you can play movies, music and view pictures on the DS.
You also have a wide range of games which are perfectly suited for being played on the go.

The PSP does the movies crap etc. without homebrew but that's beside the point as I use my PSP mainly for homebrew and PS1 games now anyway. There are good PSP games, but many I couldn't imagine myself playing on my journey to Uni etc.

I probably wouldn't keep the PSP without the homebrew capabilites, but I'd keep my DS-Lite without them for the games.

Oh well?

psman
January 5th, 2007, 01:59
im in no way saying that the psp has bad games but i think that the ds has some of the more memorable games, like the old classics that many of us are so very fond of. I think the people are just prefrencing on the old school characters on the ds. But the Psp on the other hand is new and needs to find its on path with its own style, which sony is still trying to find. In no way i am saying that psp games are bad im just saying more people are familar with what nintendo dishes out for the ds.