PDA

View Full Version : Rush 2005 (FOOTBALL GAME) to DC

Eric
February 1st, 2005, 13:38
Alright for those of you who liked Tecmo Football games on the good ol Nes it has been resurrected for PC with a clone game and its open source. So the good news about this is somebody can probably make a great port to our beloved Dreamcast.

Here is the source

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rush2005/

Eric

Darksaviour69
February 1st, 2005, 14:28
aw you got my hopes up, its not reall football its "american" football..... ;)

GPF
February 1st, 2005, 23:40
lol, it is real football, its just not soccer :) lol

WHurricane16
February 12th, 2005, 19:00
Wow, I just saw this on the SDL page and came here to post it. I haven't looked at it yet, but if it's doable I'm up to it. I don't even have a dc dev environment set up at all since I repartitioned my Linux drive to Windows 2003 server but I'm going to get Dev-C++ set up.

I'm actually going to e-mail the project manager to join this project. There are alot things here I would like to help out with :)

wraggster
February 12th, 2005, 20:10
id prefer soccer though ;)

WHurricane16
February 13th, 2005, 01:40
Oh, you Brits and your footy.

There are actually 2 SDL footy games already(?) ported. Ian Micheal did one, it probably just needs a soccer nut to expand the code into something more than what it is (per the license). I believe the original author of that soccer game also wrote a clone of an older Spectrum soccer game.

Btw, I still haven't tackled this in a dc environment yet. I just got home after a 40 mile furniture hunt....and ended up finding what I was looking for at the store closest to me >_<

WHurricane16
February 13th, 2005, 05:15
It's portable, but I'm going to have to get this ran through my router tomorrow because I can't tell what's doing what in Chankacast.

GPF
February 13th, 2005, 05:22
try dcemu, while extremly slow, it has serial output :)

I normally use Chankast till something doesnt work then i put in a bunch of printf and run it in dcemu, so i can at least tell where it craps out :)

Troy

wraggster
February 13th, 2005, 09:42
imr ported 2 soccer games?

i didnt know that

Eric
February 13th, 2005, 09:47
neither did i where the heck are they

WHurricane16
February 13th, 2005, 18:20
Well, he actually ported one, but I could have sworn he ported the other. *The Speccy clone should be portable now in KOS's current form.

Anyhoot, now I remember why DC dev is so frustrating:

- The game works, but I packed my DC keyboard in storage so I'll have to add the pad code to test it thorough
- elf2bin & sh-elf-objcopy truncates the file so I can't run it in Chanka. *Wtf is up with that?

I've e-mailed the author about joining the project and creating a seperate DC version of the code, so maybe I'll hear something soon.

NOTE: what's the command line strings for Dcemu?

DCDayDreamer
February 13th, 2005, 18:27
Here's the one IMR ported:
http://www.dchomebrew.org/ogoal.shtml

I'm not sure about the other soccer game Storminator16 is referring to, but he only said IMR ported one.

EDIT: perhaps Storminator16 is thinking of 'Trailblazer', that had a bouncing soccer ball but it wasn't a footie game.

WHurricane16
February 13th, 2005, 18:37
Both games were originally done by Paul Robson:

http://www.autismuk.freeserve.co.uk/

Hehe, I had to read back because you guys confused me. I never said IMR did both of them, I just thought both had been ported.

Christuserloeser
February 13th, 2005, 20:33
elf2bin & sh-elf-objcopy truncates the file so I can't run it in Chanka. *Wtf is up with that?

Yeah, that's annoying. It's not supposed to do that. I had the problem when I was about to beta test a SMSplusDC v2.1b that Heliophobe sent me as ELF but it wasn't running when converted to BIN. He said that he expierenced the same prob with a version of SMEG back then. I think it's some bit of the code that is causing that problem.
As I don't have any idea about coding I can't really say anymore about that, but maybe if you find the problem or document anything that could help finding it, it'd make coder's future's life so much easier...

Edit: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=dcemu;action=display;num=1108178421; start=15#17

WHurricane16
February 14th, 2005, 03:07
I have no idea what happened to the long post I just wrote :/

Anyhoot, to make a long story short, watch out for somet things from the main site:

http://rush2005.sourceforge.net/

I will make an announcement in a couple of days.

GPF
February 14th, 2005, 03:32
Well, he actually ported one, but I could have sworn he ported the other. *The Speccy clone should be portable now in KOS's current form.

Anyhoot, now I remember why DC dev is so frustrating:

- The game works, but I packed my DC keyboard in storage so I'll have to add the pad code to test it thorough
- elf2bin & sh-elf-objcopy truncates the file so I can't run it in Chanka. *Wtf is up with that?

I've e-mailed the author about joining the project and creating a seperate DC version of the code, so maybe I'll hear something soon.

NOTE: *what's the command line strings for Dcemu?

sh-elf-objcopy -O binary -R .stack dream.elf dream.bin

command line string for dcemu?

Troy

WHurricane16
February 14th, 2005, 10:55

Nah, I meant the string for the emulator's Win32 executable, but that did fix my truncated binary problem :) Now I can run this in Chankacast:

http://www.storm-studios.net/rushdc/screenshot1.png

More screenies as soon as I put the joystick code in :)

GPF
February 14th, 2005, 11:22
Nah, I meant the string for the emulator's Win32 executable, but that did fix my truncated binary problem :) *

Great.

I dont use a commandline parameters, but I might have hacked the dcemu binary. I have it at work, Ill zip it up and put it on my site for you.

Troy

WHurricane16
February 14th, 2005, 11:25

GPF
February 14th, 2005, 23:29
ok its up, sending you a pm now.

Troy

Eric
February 15th, 2005, 13:52
well i cant wait to see this running on the Dreamcast thanks for everyone who took part in this one

Darksaviour69
February 15th, 2005, 14:00
well i cant wait to see this running on the Dreamcast thanks for everyone who took part in this one

what are you taking about? Will has got it running on chankast! the dc emulator! its only a matter of time now

Eric
February 15th, 2005, 14:09
LOL i want to see it running on my Dreamcast not a emulator that i cant use thats what i mean by i cant wait to see it running on my Dreamcast and the thanks goes to Storminator and whoever else took apart in this

Darksaviour69
February 15th, 2005, 14:21
yeah but it will run on the dc, if is running on the emu its nearlly there, hes still working on it

More screenies as soon as I put the joystick code in

Eric
February 15th, 2005, 14:25
thats wicked but i mean about seeing it on the Dreamcast is the system itself if i wanted to see it on the Emulator i could have just downloaded it for PC anyways still cant wait lol

WHurricane16
February 15th, 2005, 20:05
Well, I realized yesterday that there some issues I'm going to have to tackle. Since I'm limited on time it might take the entire week for me to figure it out. But I do have some ideas on how to fix it, and I guess that is half the battle. If my idea works, I'll post my TODO list before I make any type of release. I'm striving to have some features that will not be in the PC game, and that's a good thing. It's under a BSD type license so I almost have free reign to do the changes I want to make :)

Mental2k
February 15th, 2005, 23:01
bah, we need a real football game, as this is a british forum, can all forms of football that are not soccer please be refered to in full, thank you. ;)

Come on United! ;D

Darksaviour69
February 16th, 2005, 00:00
great to c u returning to the scene Will (i knew you would), hopefully it will be more happy with this project, i know you like your (yanky) football, but u like hockey better me thinks, if me remembers

i used to support united, but then i got sick of the premiership, its boring i just watch the odd game, don't support any one (but for some reason i hate spurs...alot).... for me its "the hoops" or international football... Keano... Keano

(i like f1 the best ;) )

fackue
February 26th, 2005, 06:39

Should this always be used? Never heard of the truncated files before.

Eric
February 26th, 2005, 07:25
dream.elf i cant explain it but there is a program that will make a scrambled 1ST_READ.bin and those are usually the files you need to make a selfboot disk that contains some info or all the info of the game. Dream.bin is the 1ST_READ.bin just rename it to that so it will work on your dreamcast but you still need the IP.bin which i will not tell anyone where that is do to legal reasons.

Eric

(EDIT) Also in which are used for coding

fackue
February 26th, 2005, 23:16
Eric, I don't know if you're directing to me, if you are, I'm just trying to figure out if I should use that to convert ELF file into BIN files instead of what's currently being used in 1st_read.bin File Check.

Eric
February 27th, 2005, 19:26
you use 1ST_READ bin checker to extract the elf bin but you can use the coders cable and wait awhile and play a game

Eric
April 5th, 2005, 14:54
lol i cant believe i said that to you and your the creator of the program. I said that cause i had no clue who you were. Sorry

Eric