PDA

View Full Version : Beating Psycho Mantis in Popstation.....HOW IN THE BLUE HELL??? :S

Apoklepz
January 5th, 2007, 04:41
Okay, I haven't got to that point yet....I just rescued Baker from Ocelot's grasp, Grey Fox Sliced his hand and escaped...etc. etc. BTW, the game crashes on Baker's "Muff" Explanation movie (the one about real live footage in Nuclear Facilities)...but you can bypass it by hitting the buttons as soon as you see the Rocket Launching.

....Anyways, I was just curious about how to fend off Mantis, since there's no switching around PSX Controller Ports this time around...I wish there's still a way around beating him.

I need feedback from anyone who's been this far already, but discussion is always welcome.:thumbup:

pakman
January 5th, 2007, 04:53
hmm.. dats weird i played metal gear and mine didnt crash during the video. Also to beat mantis u can jus shoot and destroy the two statues in the top corners of the room. After u do dat he should be easy to beat:thumbup:

Apoklepz
January 5th, 2007, 04:57
Oh hey, thanks man.

bout the video...I was using my USA NTSC copy, straight oof my disk...and I just checked, and my PS2 plays the movie fine, so...yeah it's weird.

Anybody else getting this particular glitch?

PSPKOR
January 5th, 2007, 09:52
I had this happen to me aswell, it also happened a bit later on when I was talking to Octogan, on another one of the videos, it seems to happen on some of the movie(black and white videos) bits.

Apoklepz
January 11th, 2007, 17:14
Yeah, it blows....other than that, the whole game plays well...Just beat it last night. Stealth Mode, here I come!

S34MU5
January 11th, 2007, 18:21
i think you can also beet him buy using CWcheat and giving snake infinte health, but thats n00by.

BTW there is no way to switch discs

TTownEP
January 21st, 2007, 22:48
Yeah, I had that video snag too. I was wondering what Mantis would say when I didn't have any game saves on my card. He just tells me that my memory is clean. I'm about to try the statue trick...

nickerous
January 27th, 2007, 02:01
That vid played fine for me. Bad rip, maybe? I got to Mantis, but deleted the game after that. Having only a 1 gb card sucks.

Malksta
January 27th, 2007, 02:03
Rwar, How can I get on Disc 2? =( just killed Sniper Wolf in the second battle...

gamerremag
January 28th, 2007, 03:52
^cant you just play on disk 2 then load from the menu there? (i havent played metal gear that far, as my second disk cant be read by my ps2 AND I HAD THE DISK CLEANED BY A MACHINE AT GAMECRAZY)

S34MU5
January 28th, 2007, 16:55
I think you can swap discs using CWcheat... ima gona looksy into it

althena77
January 29th, 2007, 16:30
CWcheat allows you to export your save game in a format that is compatible to emulators on the PC such as ePSXe. You can play the game on the PC with this emulator from the last save game on the PSP you made on the first disc until the first opportunity to save on the second disc. Then you can import the save game again with CWcheat and continue the game on the PSP.

Not the easiest way to make a disc swap and this also means that you can't play the game completely on the PSP but right now the only way to make the disc swap in games that won't let you save at the end of a disc.

the_eternal_dark
January 29th, 2007, 17:49
Or just use popstation and have the same disk ID (ex slus93000) for both disks and the final save from disk 1 will work to load disk 2, you just have to go back to the XMB and play disk 2 then load the save.

althena77
January 30th, 2007, 11:40
Or just use popstation and have the same disk ID (ex slus93000) for both disks and the final save from disk 1 will work to load disk 2, you just have to go back to the XMB and play disk 2 then load the save.

No, this will NOT work for every game, please don't give people wrong hopes and make sure you understand the problem we are talking about, it was discussed before here often.

I have said this here many times before, but ok; one more time:

There two kind of ways a disc swap was performed on a real PSX:

1. There are games that let you save exactly the moment the first disc is finished and show you a message like "Save progress before changing disc?"
(Grandia, Final Fantasy 7 for example). Save the game and you are fine, exit it after that and load the next disc and it will recognize the save game from the first disc, when it has the same Save ID.

HOWEVER:

2. There are games that WON'T let you save at the end of a disc and you just had to swap the discs on a real PSX (Thousand Arms, Chrono Cross and Metal Gear Solid for example). The problem is here on the PSP, that Popstation doesn't support a disc swap right now without exiting the game. You must exit the game and load the next disc. This is the same as turning off your console when playing the game on a real PSX and you lose the progress from the last save game on the first disc until the end of it. When you put in the next disc and turn on your PSX again it will tell you again to finish disc 1 first. The same will happen when exiting the game and loading the next disc on a PSP, the same Save ID doesn't help here too.
The only way to continue the game on the PSP right now is the one with CWcheats I described above.

dejkirkby
January 30th, 2007, 11:51
I'll upload a save made at the exact point of starting the 2nd disc. to stop the bickering.

krazykarl
February 4th, 2007, 21:34
that save isnt really good. I get onto the elevator but always loose because I dont have enough rations (only 2) and almost no ammo (25 socom bullets).

Does anyone have a legit save game that they could send me? dejkirkby's looks like it is just a pure hack

ps: the new psx emu on fw 3.10 oe-a has a option for changing the controller port

althena77
February 5th, 2007, 07:49
ps: the new psx emu on fw 3.10 oe-a has a option for changing the controller port

Cool finding, didn't notice that yet, guess that will make many people playing MGS happy when fighting Psycho Mantis :thumbup:

Now I just hope that Sony will also include an option to change the disc. Wonderif we will ever see something like this or if they just change the game to one big disc.

krazykarl
February 6th, 2007, 00:10
yea, i was kinda mad b/c I'd spent so long trying to beat him w/o the other controller port.

keefurxxcore
February 7th, 2007, 20:25
im at the end of the first disc and i don't know what to do... how do i save? and would it work if i just combined the iso from disc one and disc two and combine them?

IndianCheese
February 8th, 2007, 22:27
3.10 OE-A supports multiple controller ports. Just press HOME while in game, then go to Settings.

PSPdemon
February 8th, 2007, 22:40
also people, to swap disks, all you need to do is make sure that your Game Save Name and Game ID type and Number are the same as the first disk.

EG:

(Disk1)
Game Save: FF7
Game ID (type) : SLUS
GAME ID (number) : 11111

(Disk2)

just make sure you keep the info the same :)

other than that, it should load multiple disks :D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

PS: anyone playing FF7? wondering how far some of you have gotten :P im at the beggining of disk 2! lol

krazykarl
February 9th, 2007, 01:10
that doesnt work with MGS, in that game you dont have the option to save before it requires a disk swap

althena77
February 9th, 2007, 12:44
also people, to swap disks, all you need to do is make sure that your Game Save Name and Game ID type and Number are the same as the first disk.

EG:

(Disk1)

(Disk2)

just make sure you keep the info the same :)

other than that, it should load multiple disks :D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

PS: anyone playing FF7? wondering how far some of you have gotten :P im at the beggining of disk 2! lol

As krazykarl said before, that will NOT work for MGS or other games that won't let you save the moment you have to switch the disc, I also already said this in this thread before very clearly.
The PSX emulator does not support switching disc WITHOUT exiting the game. This way you lose all progress from the last time you saved until the end of the disc because when you exit the game to load the next disc it has the same effect as turning off the console when you have to do the disc swap on a real PlayStation.

FF7 lets you save when you have to swap the disc, I already beat the game on my PSP by the way.

For games that won't let you save when finishing a disc there is a workaround however, you can export a save file to your memory card, that is compatible to emulators like ePSXe with the CWcheat plugin. Just perform the disc swap with ePSXe and import the save game again on your PSP.

keefurxxcore
February 10th, 2007, 02:51
then how do i save in metal gear solid? and how do i save at all in popstation?

althena77
February 10th, 2007, 06:40
then how do i save in metal gear solid? and how do i save at all in popstation?

Saving is not the problem, you can save the same way you would do it on a real PSX console. The problem in case of MGS and some other games (afaik for example Xenogears, Thousand Arms and Chrono Cross) is that you can't change the image/disc without going back to the XMB first.

mavsman4457
February 10th, 2007, 23:08
Not sure if this has been mentioned in the earlier posts but on firmware 3.11 you can assign controller ports and Dark_AleX is going to make a plugin for 3.10 OE so you can do that and beat psycho mantis easier. Once Sony releases some games with 2 discs they will definately give you the option of switching discs and that can be implemented into a custom firmware.

Accordion
February 11th, 2007, 00:52
the option is already in 3.10OE

...isnt it?

althena77
February 11th, 2007, 20:44
the option is already in 3.10OE

...isnt it?

Yes, and it was mentioned before:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=348447&postcount=16

krazykarl
February 19th, 2007, 19:07
I finally got this to work. I used the memory card switch w/ cwcheat.

I used this tutorial:
http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/about73093.html

And this emulator:
http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

I'll try to post the savedata for MGS disc 2 later on for those that don't want to have to do all that.

CR1T1C4L
July 30th, 2008, 20:31
Or you can use the miltidisk popstation, thats what I use with vfw 3.71 m33 and i use all the above games and beat them all with no problem...

acn010
July 30th, 2008, 22:27
dude, this is really old.. were like in 4.01 now lol