PDA

View Full Version : I might use DA's custom FW on my PSP, but I need help

Shiaoran
January 5th, 2007, 11:44
My PSP is 1.5, and it came from the factory that way, I never messed with it, so I guess I have the right motherboard to use the custom FW.
I'd like to know some stuff, and also to know step by step how to do it, in every tutorial I find, it says that you already must have a custom firmware :P

The questions:
Is homebrew as compatible or better compatible than with a 1.5?
Are PSX games easily playable using ISOs?
The PSX save games work without problems now?
How can I backup my PSX games? Can I just make and ISO of it using any burning program that have the option(I use CDBurner XP Pro 3, Nero and Alcohol 120% wont work on my PC)?
I've heard that you can compress ISOs so they use less memory, how can I do that? Will compressed ISOs work as good as non-conpressed ones?
Updating the FW to new versions is easy?

I'm not a noob, I'm just scared of bricking my PSP so I don't read much about custom FWs so I don't get as tempted as I am right now... :P PSPs aren't cheap, expecially where I live, you could buy a PS3 without my country's taxes with a taxed PSP's value :P

Thanks in advance for the help and thanks to the developers for the good stuff you are providing.

steve-b
January 5th, 2007, 11:49
homebrew is just as compatible as 1.50

To play PSX, you need to rip the ISO with any program and then run that ISO thru popstation to create the eboot that is playable on the PSP. At this stage, you can choose to compress the ISO or not and popstation will take of that for you.

Hope that helps

Shiaoran
January 7th, 2007, 05:18
It does help, thanks ^^

I still want to know about the other stuff.

Shiaoran
January 13th, 2007, 03:37
Bring
Up
The
Topic

juggaleaux
January 13th, 2007, 03:58
> Updating the FW to new versions is easy?

I can answer this one, it's very easy. And you can go back to 1.50 if you ever want to.

jwilds73
January 13th, 2007, 04:57
I personally waited to update to custom firmware until now having a virgin 1.50 PSP. And I could do everything I wanted through Devhook without any commitment. I can say though it's well worth it for the PSX emulator. Also wifi works great under custom firmware I couldn't play multiplayer games under Devhook now I can. I upgraded both my non TA-082 PSP's and downgraded and upgraded my nephews TA-082 to 3.03 OE-B.

jwilds73
January 13th, 2007, 05:24
The questions:
Is homebrew as compatible or better compatible than with a 1.5?

Yes even 1.0 style eboots are so no need for two folders

Are PSX games easily playable using ISOs?

You simply take your ISO file and use PopstationGUI to convert it into a playable Eboot

The PSX save games work without problems now?

I haven't tried importing saves yet. But I have no problems so far with saving games

How can I backup my PSX games?

Not sure exactly what you mean here. Do you mean back up your saves?

Can I just make and ISO of it using any burning program that have the option(I use CDBurner XP Pro 3, Nero and Alcohol 120% wont work on my PC)?

I used CDRWin to rip my PSX discs then PopsationGUI to make them into playable Eboots.

I've heard that you can compress ISOs so they use less memory, how can I do that?

I don't believe you can do this with the PSX emulator. I could be wrong but I know ISO's of UMD Games can be compressed and run fine.

Will compressed ISOs work as good as non-conpressed ones?

I haven't noticed any problems with my UMD CSO files.

Updating the FW to new versions is easy?

Yes it was very easy from 1.50 I did two of my own as I said plus my nephew's and I got two more to do for friends that I have setup with 1.50's with Devhook right now.