wraggster
August 19th, 2012, 14:41
Nickname: Chilly Willy
Project Name: Yeti3D Pro
Division: GAME
Platform: N64
Original Entry: NO (PORT)
In last NEO Compo this project have won in the top 10: NO

http://i.imgur.com/ZP4WB.png (http://imgur.com/a/DLfzL#0)

Here's my entry for this year's compo. You might think you have seen this before - back when I first started on N64 homebrew, I made a quick port of Yeti3D GPL - the old, limited version. This is Yeti3D Pro, a far more complete version of Yeti3D.

You can find the original release of Yeti3D Pro on SourceForge here:
Yeti3D Pro: http://sourceforge.net/projects/yeti3dpro/

There you can download the original source as well as an editor. The code needed a bunch of work for the N64... the sprite and skin textures needed to be converted from BGR555 to RGBA5551 format, the model and level data need endian conversions, and I had to make some code changes like fixes for gcc 4.6.2, fixing player collision, allowing picking up items, doing damage to the player, adding strafing (which isn't part of the original code), and fixing printing messages. To be clear, this is a PORT of Yeti3D Pro by Derek J. Evans. The base code is all his.

So what do you get? Yeti3D Pro has levels made of 64 by 64 square cells. Sounds limiting, but just check out some of the levels - they can be pretty large and complex. Yeti3D Pro goes beyond the original Yeti3D by adding slopes to floors and ceilings, as well as dynamic lighting - this allows much more realistic looking levels. Another addition to the Pro version is full support for MD2 format 3D models for more realistic objects and opponents. The rendering engine has been tremendously improved, allowing for more polygons to be rendered at a faster frame rate.

You can download my archive from here: Yeti3D-Pro N64 r1 (http://www.mediafire.com/?qhe1830lpnflgcg)

The archive includes all source, and the N64 rom image (Yeti3D_Pro.z64) in the N64 directory. So what does the N64 rom give you? There are 33 levels - 32 loaded from the rom filesystem, and one embedded in the executable (normally all levels are embedded). You can pick up health bonuses, and "quads" which currently give you more ammo. You can shoot the creatures found in the levels, but if you do, they'll attack. Attacks do damage, as does lava.

So what is missing? The big thing missing is sound. I'm working on the sound, but am not sure it'll be ready by the deadline, hence this release. Also, the game ai is pretty stupid at the moment - the creatures just run around until you shoot them, then they attack. There are only two items you can pick up, and one weapon.

So is it a "full" game? Pretty much - you can explore levels to find two different items to collect (health and ammo), and you can fight with the creatures on the level (or avoid them). You'll have to search for the end of level teleporter - find the floating blue crystal to end the level and go to the next. This is more meant as a base from which to build a game. As such, I don't expect folks to rate it as high as an actual game. This is just another in my usual releases meant to help the homebrew scene by providing tools and code anyone can use for their own stuff.

controls
Code: [Select] (javascript:void(0);)
UP move forward
DOWN move backward
LEFT turn left
RIGHT turn right
LEFT SHOULDER strafe left
RIGHT SHOULDER strafe right
A fire
B jump
C-UP look up
C-DOWN look down
Z run
START menu

Notes:

You don't need a real N64 and flash cart to run this - it works just fine in MESS. It won't work on most other emulators since they tend to be high-level emulators geared towards old commercial games. That said, it works fine on a real N64 with the Myth cart. However, on real hardware, you need the memory expansion pack. The game as it is (with tons of embedded models and sprites and textures) needs over four megs of ram. If you were using this for your own game, you could easily trim that to fit within four megs. I don't consider needing the mempak a downside since it's something any real N64 user should have in the first place. If not, spend the $20 and get one!

You get about between 8 and 10 frame per second in most places, but really complex architecture or (more usually) lots of 3D objects/creatures can slow it down to 4 or 5 FPS. The rendering is all done by the CPU in software. I do plan to move as much of the rendering to the RSP as I can in future versions. But that will be after the sound is done.

The levels, sprites, and models are still in "PC" format so you can use the regular editor. I fix the models, sprites, and level data at run-time since I figure if someone actually uses this, they'll be using the editor on the PC and turning out "PC" formatted data.

EDIT: Now with screenshots! Taken using mess - click the image to go to the album on imgur where you can view closeups of each individual screenshot.

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,7454.0.html

coldev
August 29th, 2012, 16:02
yeti3d pro tools - free

code . google . com/p/yeti3dplusplus/

:)