PDA

View Full Version : installing yellowdog on my ps3 help me

jereminion
January 7th, 2007, 20:44
hi i put linux on my ps3 via usb drive and it works but when i put the yellowdog dvd in the ps3 it does some loading then turns off the screen but the ps3 is still on

can someone help (i followed the directions too :(

ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/iso/install_guide.pdf

)

jereminion
January 7th, 2007, 20:50
ahh damn every time i post a help request topic i always seem to solve the problem.. i had to turn the ps3 with the cd already in it before power on... i think i got it sry :.(

but i may need help later :D

jereminion
January 7th, 2007, 22:46
ok now i do need help.. im trying to switch from text based linux to graphic and it doesent work when i use wget ..it says its connected to terrasoftsolutions but 404 not found, but the link works on a computer

and i never made a username so i can log into localhost i only have root...

and when i take the ydl cd out of my ps3 the linux doesent work

and it doesent let me get back to gameOS

F9zDark
January 8th, 2007, 17:06
Getting back to the PS3 XMB is simple. From the off state, simply hold the power button on for 5 seconds. You'll hear a second beep.

YDL is a pain in the ass to install. I found a way to get it working on my tv set, but it was a real pain. Let me see if I can find it for you.

Ok got it for you, this is what I did to make it autoboot into YDL for Standard Definition TVs.

Appendix 1: Text Install Help

This was taken from a forum post at www.ps3forums.com . Big ups to PhoenixCE for the great write up.

First thing you are going to have to do is fire up your PS3 in linux and get to the "localhost login" prompt.

Type "root" and press [ENTER] (without the " 's).

Next you will be asked to enter in the password for the user root. Which is the password you gave during the install process. If you don't know or don't remember what it is. You'll have to reinstall Linux.

So enter your password and press [ENTER].

Now you should be looking at the command line.

First thing you need to do in order to get the gui or graphical system running is download Xautoconfig to your PS3. If you have a ethernet cable hooked up to your PS3. Type this now.

Type wget http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/su....ydl.2.ppc.rpm and press [ENTER]

If you are like myself and use Wifi so you don't have to run cable everywhere, you'll have to do a couple extra steps to get that rpm file on your PS3.

First thing you are going to have to do is get a SD Card. Pretty much any size will do the rpm file is only about 36k in size.

Next check and make sure the SD Card is using the FAT32 file system. In Windows just right click on your SD Card and check the properties. If the card isn't FAT32, format the card to that file system. Remember, Formatting the card will destroy everything on the card. So if you have anything important on it, besure to move those files safely to your computer.

Now download the above rpm file to your computer and put it on the SD Card. Take the SD Card to your PS3 and put the card into the SD Card slot in your PS3. You'll see some things pop up on your tv. That's normal and just ignore it.

Okay, we have to mount your card so you can access the files on it. This is what you have to type at the command line.

Type mount -t vfat /dev/sdd1 /mnt and press [ENTER]

Linux should of mounted your card so you can access the file on it.

Next we want to install that rpm file.

If you downloaded the rpm file without the SD Card. Type this

Type rpm -ivh Xautoconfig-0.23-2.ydl.2.ppc.rpm and press [ENTER]

If you used an SD Card to get the file. You'll have to type this

Type rpm -ivh /mnt/Xautoconfig-0.23-2.ydl.2.ppc.rpm and press [ENTER]

The file will now run and you don't have to do anything.

Now Type Xautoconfig and press [ENTER]

Next thing we have to do is edit a file to make Linux goto the gui after boot up. Type this at the command line.

Type vi /etc/inittab and press [ENTER]

Look for the line that reads:

id3:initdefault:

and change it to

id:5:initdefault:

If you can't change the line. Press [INSERT] on your keyboard before hand.

After you edit the file Press [ESC] which will switch back to command mode

Type :wq and press [ENTER]

That will save and quit the file editor. If you doesn't work, you might need to press esc again to make sure it went back to the command mode and try using :wq again.

Next, if you want, we need to edit the kboot.conf file so at startup, Kboot default to the screen resolution of your choice. Type this at the command line.

Type vi /etc/kboot.conf

default=ydl

if you have a SDTV / 480i

change it to:

default=ydl480i

if you have a HDTV / 1080i

change it to:

default=ydl1080i

Now save and quit like we did before.

Okay, everything should be ready to go. All you have to do now is reboot your PS3. Just type this at the command line.

Type reboot and press [ENTER]

Your PS3 should now be rebooting and should load into the gui.

jereminion
January 8th, 2007, 23:38
ty for the help i was stuck at this before

Now Type Xautoconfig and press [ENTER]

Next thing we have to do is edit a file to make Linux goto the gui after boot up. Type this at the command line.

Type vi /etc/inittab and press [ENTER]

i never typed "vi" so when i tried editing the line it always sayed "Permission Denied"

hopefully i can work this out :D

F9zDark
January 9th, 2007, 01:55
You're logging in as the root correct? when Localhost comes up, just type in root and then your password.

Sephiroth1109
January 29th, 2007, 05:03
I have been looking for most of the night but I can't seem to find anyone that has my problem. I have installed everything and I am now at the part where I have to use ydltext or ydl480i to install the GUI. I type in the URL and have been going crazy with network settings. I have a Linksys wired connection to my PS3 and it does work with the browser and the internet IP addresses are all correct. I keep getting this error after it processes the URL for the Xautoconfig. The message is "no route to host" I have no idea how to fix this but tonight is over now and I will not be home again to fool around with it until the following weekend. I have been going nuts with this and can't figure out why it's happening. Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

F9zDark
January 29th, 2007, 05:50
I have been looking for most of the night but I can't seem to find anyone that has my problem. I have installed everything and I am now at the part where I have to use ydltext or ydl480i to install the GUI. I type in the URL and have been going crazy with network settings. I have a Linksys wired connection to my PS3 and it does work with the browser and the internet IP addresses are all correct. I keep getting this error after it processes the URL for the Xautoconfig. The message is "no route to host" I have no idea how to fix this but tonight is over now and I will not be home again to fool around with it until the following weekend. I have been going nuts with this and can't figure out why it's happening. Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

I cannot discern the exact nature of your problem, however I can give some tips that might help. I am by no means an expert or even a novice, so what I propose may not help you, but then again it might:

1)Check your PS3's mac address in the PS3 XMB and write it down.

2)Reboot the PS3 so that it goes to the Command Prompt for YDL. Wait until it finishes loading completely.

3)Using your PC access your Router. View the DHCP client table and see if your PS3's mac address is on it. If it is that rules out:
A)Your PS3 is not connected (a good time to plug it in, if this is the case)
B)That your PS3 is not getting an IP.

4)Make your PS3 (either by IP or Mac address) a DMZ (Demilitarized Zone). This will allow your PS3 complete access to the internet. There is 1 reason I suggest this: It may be that your Router is blocking communication with the internet when using trying to access the net with the Command Prompt.

5)Once your PS3 is DMZed, try to get the Xautoconfig.

Sephiroth1109
January 29th, 2007, 20:33
Thanks for your suggestions. I figured it out late last night, I just set the the IP to dynamic then rebooted. That seemed to work. I have YDL installed now but being a windows user I just need to learn how to use it. Thanks for all your help.