PDA

View Full Version : Region hack/unlock on ps3 possible?

ElRazur
January 8th, 2007, 23:42
Hi there, I have a 20gig japanese version and it wouldnt play any UK games (ps2) and Uk dvds too (says pal playback not allowed).

Do anyone know if it is possible to change this things so as to allow full play of Ukl ps2 games please..?

Thanks.

F9zDark
January 9th, 2007, 02:02
DVDs are region encoded and UK and Japan are not in the same region, so you are SOL. BluRay discs however are region free (I believe) so you can play any BDs you want from any country.

ElRazur
January 9th, 2007, 18:47
What about the games? Playing UK ps2 game on the ps3.....possible?

F9zDark
January 9th, 2007, 19:00
What about the games? Playing UK ps2 game on the ps3.....possible?

I don't know to be honest. Since they are DVDs and region encoded, I have a feeling they won't work. I could be wrong.

Ci5tm Konfliqt
January 9th, 2007, 20:26
eu ps1/2 games and dvds dont work on jpn ps3. they are both region two but japan is ntsc where as the uk is pal. ive got the same problem , very annoying praying for a mod chip or workaround at some point !!

F9zDark
January 9th, 2007, 21:20
Honestly I don't ever expect Sony to make a patch for this. They didn't want Europeans getting import PS3s, so I doubt they will take the time and effort to make those imported lives easier.

Personally, I'd hope they would, but I just think they will see it as "Tough shit, shoulda waited."

Anonymous D
January 9th, 2007, 21:23
try a dvd region x disc, like action replay, ive not had much experience with importing but this might work. Thouh you'd nned a region free/jpn ar disc.

Xiofire
January 9th, 2007, 22:54
I heard Blu Ray Movies were region locked, just not games. Im waiting until its released in the UK. Non of this region nonsense. Just plug and play :D
-Xiofire

F9zDark
January 9th, 2007, 22:56
BD Games and Movies are region free. But PS1 and PS2 game discs still have their region encoding on them.

terryfay1983
January 10th, 2007, 20:00
BD games? are they gonna start making the games on blueray discs then?

cause i have brought a PS3 from the states (live in england) and was under the impression that all games would work. but have found out that not true!

so if i buy and english BD game it sould work?

wowzors
January 11th, 2007, 12:06
all games are bluray and all games work, regardless of what region it is.

The only games that will not work is different from your region PS1 and PS2 games (PAL games from england on a NTSC american or japanese PS3, WONT WORK) and probably DVD's

terryfay1983
January 11th, 2007, 19:14
wicked, so they all will work then!

not to fussed about PS2 games not working, got a ps2 for that!

Vyper91
April 15th, 2007, 17:10
Ok regardless of what many of these people are saying, they're all wrong in that Blu-Ray discs are NOT region-free.
They are split up into 3 regions -
Region A- Japan, Hong Kong (my ps3), U.S.A
Region B- U.K, Europe, Australia, New Zealand.
Region C- India, Nepal, Russia, Mainland China.

However all the GAMES are region free!
BUT as your Japanese PS3 is probably DVD Region 3, it will not play any of your Region 2 gear (Your PAL games and DVD's).

Unlucky there, but we got ours for cheaper, and earlier, AND we get to use Blu-ray films released in the U.S.A, before they come out here and for cheaper.
:thumbup:
Hope that clears things up guys :D

potatoman
April 30th, 2007, 20:46
NONONONONO! They are only region encoded if the developer wants them to be! all BLU RAY riscs will work in ANY PS3! i no, i got an american copy of tallagada nights on bluray off ebay, works GREAT!

ElRazur
August 2nd, 2007, 18:58
So no way of making Non-pal ps3 to play Pal (uk) games?

Indi-Jan
November 1st, 2007, 07:51
Im sorry but you are all wrong.

I have a American PS3 and lives in Europe.
I didnt know that games where locked before i tried it.
The guys at the shop i bought my consolle didnt know it eather.

This is what Sony told me in an e-mail:

""please be aware that due to different television and
voltage standards, and a variety of licensing issues, Sony Computer Entertainment has implemented a territorial-based
distribution system for its hardware and software. This limits the use of any particular software
to play on the console designated for that distribution territory (e.g. North American games will
not play in the systems designed for other regions, such as, Japan, Europe, etc.). We do not have any information on adapters or converters made to override territorial restrictions. The various PlayStation(R) consoles and format software titles are only designed to run in their respective regions and countries.""

So guess they have taken the Zone regional settings implemented in DVD players and dvd movies a step further. There you can play only zones that have a higher number than your player in addition to your own zone. ( e.g. Zone2 (Europe) can play zone 2,3,4,5 but not 1.)
If that was the case i would be able to run all zones on my US spec PS3 (Zone 1).

stulaw
November 28th, 2007, 22:45
Indi-Jan,

I have an Australian bought PS3 and buy almost all of my games online from either Asia or North America and every single one of them works.

The official word is that PS3 games are not region coded at all. As long as you have a TV that will display both PAL and NTSC pictures you wont have any problems with games.

Movies on the other hand are a different story. DVD region codes are strictly enforced and there are no hacks that I am aware of. Blu-Ray region codes are also enforced, but some early Blu-Ray released movies either don't enforce the coding or simply don't have it.

In conclusion, buy games from wherever they're cheapest (online is best).

Movies - buy outside your PS3's region at your own risk. There will be some titles that will play and others that will not. Here's a list to give you an idea http://80.161.213.38:81/

Quasi13
December 15th, 2007, 08:22
Hi all,

I have similar problem. Just got my 80GB PS3 from HK (living in Europe), and would unfortunately not play any PS2 games. As I have tried a few DVD's 4 out of 5 would not work (did not try all of them yet :-)). I have no idea why that 1 played, as it is the same region 2 and PAL... Backup (DVD-RW) copy of DVDs played as well. I am now aware of the PAL / NTSC issue (Europe region PS2 games and DVDs are PAL, my PS3 is NTSC). I would highly appreciate a solution for this problem. I do not understand why should anyone be limited to purchase items region free in the 3rd millenium :-(.

DeNven
April 9th, 2008, 17:19
I moved to a new country which only uses NTSC. Games are cheap here, but I just want to know if the games will come in black and white or in color.

My friend has a full ready HD TV. 32" (connected with hdmi cable) however the ntsc games ony come in black and white.

Should I buy a game...because it is crap if it comes in black and white and is not worth the money.

Indi-Jan,

I have an Australian bought PS3 and buy almost all of my games online from either Asia or North America and every single one of them works.

The official word is that PS3 games are not region coded at all. As long as you have a TV that will display both PAL and NTSC pictures you wont have any problems with games.

Movies on the other hand are a different story. DVD region codes are strictly enforced and there are no hacks that I am aware of. Blu-Ray region codes are also enforced, but some early Blu-Ray released movies either don't enforce the coding or simply don't have it.

In conclusion, buy games from wherever they're cheapest (online is best).

Movies - buy outside your PS3's region at your own risk. There will be some titles that will play and others that will not. Here's a list to give you an idea http://80.161.213.38:81/

And where do you buy asian games. I heard that they are damn cheap.

stulaw
October 9th, 2008, 04:05
best place to buy games online, if you want them from asia is www.playasia.com - cheaper PS3 accessories there too.