PDA

View Full Version : Things Sony can do to make the PS3 Better

F9zDark
January 10th, 2007, 05:58
OK, as some of you may know I got myself a PS3. While I am happy with it, there are a few complaints I have (nothing that are make it break it, but still...)

-The PS button currently acts like PSP's Home button. However a way to improve it? Make it an instant stop to a person's PSN Buddy List in game. I believe Sony may have plans to make PSN as full featured as Xbox Live, which may render this idea useless, but still. Its annoying having to have exit a game to get a message from a buddy.

-Messages that make a noise, preferably a loud one (when in the XMB). I leave my PS3 on at hours at a time, sometimes not even using it. It sucks to return to it after using the computer for a while to see that I have messages about playing a game...

-Allow for us to connect to our PC via Ethernet or Wireless!!!! Why? Because I don't have the time or money to buy huge flash cards to send my data over! Make a special program if you have to, but please give us this feature!

-Improved Remote Play. Yeah it works fine, but it would be nice if Remote Play was always on. A work around for the current issue; If you have the BD remote, simply press Eject, that will turn on the PS3, and then you can navigate the menu with it to remote play.

But having it always on and with more features would make it certainly worth it.

-Better buddy list setup. I am sorry Sony, yeah the XMB is great for a few things, but its not good for Buddy Lists. I can't imagine how to correct this since the XMB will get in the way, but it needs improvement; maybe selecting Buddy list will bring up a screen which lists all your friends and has tabs that open active chats?

And really, drop the mail approach, I hate clicking on a friend's name and seeing a paper airplane for messages sent and a piece of paper for messages received; yeah its cute, but god its annoying when you have like 20 messages...

-Please allow typing with the keyboard WITHOUT having to bring up the OSK, especially in the web-browser. You have no idea how annoying that is, especially considering there is a character limit to a text box on the OSK (its a huge number, but after a long post on this page, its more than reached; something that wouldn't happen if I could just type in the damn box that Add Reply accords me).

-Please add support for Flash 8. I can't do anything cool flash wise since this feature is missing.

-Add support for subfolders within subfolders within Music. I like to keep things organized, and I like to keep my music organized by band and album for instance:

Disturbed
--The Sickness
-----Songs
--Believe
-----Songs
--Ten Thousand Fists
-----Songs
Next Band
etc

As well it wouldn't hurt to apply this to the PSP also!

Currently that is all.

mcvader
January 10th, 2007, 11:14
I don't own a PS3 yet (not released here yet) but everything you've said makes sense, It's just a shame $ony don't pay more attention to the little things, hopefully by the time it's released here in oz these problems (well some of them anyway) are fixed.

One question I have is the bluetooth reconnection problem with the controllers that I've heard about, how much of an Issue (if at all) is it?

F9zDark
January 10th, 2007, 15:30
I don't own a PS3 yet (not released here yet) but everything you've said makes sense, It's just a shame $ony don't pay more attention to the little things, hopefully by the time it's released here in oz these problems (well some of them anyway) are fixed.

One question I have is the bluetooth reconnection problem with the controllers that I've heard about, how much of an Issue (if at all) is it?

I haven't had a problem with it too much. There was one instance where I saw the "Connection Broken" icon in Resistance, which I normally see when I turn off my Bluetooth headset; but then I was promptly kicked out of the game due to network problems, so I think it was a network error and not a bluetooth problem.

I am running on an up to date firmware, so I am unaware if this problem existed in the firmwares before it. However, I will point this out:

A complaint many people had at launch was needing to plug in the PS3 controller into the system to 'pair' it with the system. Now that is not the case at all (even though the manual still says it). However, I am not sure if people just followed the manual and complained (without ever trying it without the usb cable) or if it was actually something that Sony patched.

Also, I believe Sony is planning a new update for the PS3 in March probably to coincide with the Euro release.

keyrat
January 14th, 2007, 16:04
Make the post into bullet points and then sticky it!

I love my PS3, and I love the potential it has to be a bad ass multimedia box, but I still have beef with the PS3 so far, in the software department.

XMB:

* background downloading
* stream or at least transfer files from a PC
* background music playing during browsing/games
* friends menu during games
* fix the browser, looks too small at 1080i (needs zoom), as well as the poor performance.
* create folders in the game list. demos, arcade, and full games shouldn't be clumped together.

Sony Marketing:

* get your act together; people contradict each other
* ACT HUMBLE
* less about the specs, more about the software

Wishful Thinking:

* Fix the scaler; I don't want my TV changing resolutions with every app. (hardware issue, so we're probably SOL)
* Take the Linux Wii-mote drivers and port them to the XMB; don't make an announcement, just let it ride

porchemasi
January 15th, 2007, 02:08
XBL interface for friends list

-VOICE SESSIONS WITH CLAN IN GAMES LIKE RESISTANCE (OR BE PATCHED THROUGH THE XMB TO WORK DURING GAME PLAY, ONLINE AND OFF)
-MORE VIDEO CODECS!
-BETTER ONLINE FRIENDS NETWORK
-ABILITY TO JOIN FRIENDS GAMES FROM XMB
-ABILITY TO CHAT WITH FRIENDS THROUGHT
GAME, LOBBY, XMB

F9zDark
January 19th, 2007, 22:16
Update:

I copied some music to the Hard-drive, with the songs in a folder with the band name. I had two discographies ordered only by band.

When I copied them to the PS3, the PS3 divided the songs by Album and organized them into their respective albums. Using Sort By: Artist achieves the same effect that I had originally wanted.

So it seems that the PS3 will organize songs for you, eliminating the need for you to do the organization.

However given the fact that the XMB sucks for any extensive listings, I would have been happier with actually having a folder in Music (as can be done with the PSP) and THEN have the PS3 organize it by album in there.

F9zDark
April 16th, 2007, 23:17
OK, so this thread has been dead for a while, I have decided to revive it concerning some recent changes. Background downloading is AWESOME by the way. However, the PS3 still leaves some to be desired.

*Personally, I cannot stand how the PS3 doesn't show up as a UPnP device or is not accessible via a PC. It is FAR easier to put songs on the hard-drive with a PC than it is using some of the workarounds (Orb, Red Kawa, PS3Portal, etc). I wish there was a way to browse the PS3's hard-drive via PC so we can place music, movies and photos directly onto it, with ease. (and I don't mean, remove the hard-drive and plug it into the PC, thats retarded and time consuming).

*Text/Voice chat infrastructure built into PSN and accessible via PS Button. This complaint is more geared towards COD3, which has NO chat options whatsoever built into the game. That makes for a HORRIBLE team play experience. Is this the fault of Sony? No, COD3 team should have included text chat, to say the least.

However, considering this will probably be a recurring problem, Sony should implement a sort of Game Chat Room via PSN, that interacts with the games you join. PSN will get the IDs of the members on your team in each game, and allow you to chat with your team while in that game. When you leave that game, it will remove those contacts from your team and give the contacts of your new team members in the next game you join. This is possible and Sony has already implemented the inklings of this: Players Met, for instance, is very similar.

Since this would be a system wide feature, all games could essentially make use of this, even if they have chat options built in. (For instance Resistance has voice chat, but not text chat; this would work great for Resistance, as then keyboarders can still chat with friends).

*XMB access from anywhere. Yeah there is a thread about this and how there is a petition, but I feel this is absolutely necessary.

*Playlist Creation. Give us the option to create playlists so we don't have to hand select each song we want to listen to.

*Allow us to COPY PS2 saves BACK to a Memory Card. I hate that we cannot do this! None of my friends have a PS3, yet if I am playing say Resident Evil 4 or MGS 3 and want to continue my game at my friend's house after playing on the PS3, I cannot do this! As well, friends who bring their PS2 games to my house to make some headway, can't return home with the progress they made at my house.

The current system of PS2 saves makes it very frustrating for me and my friends. Essentially its not even worth playing PS2 titles on my PS3, since the saved data is stuck on the PS3 and cannot be transferred...

Triv1um
April 16th, 2007, 23:44
I know its stupid but I want theme colours.

I don't like having a colour I don't like thrown on me, and I don't how it slowely goes black.

I would rather have it be black all the time or have choices of colours like psp.

F9zDark
April 17th, 2007, 00:00
Yeah the changing of colors with the time of day does lose its flare after a while. I would love to be able to have customization options like we have available to us on the PSP. Sadly, unless Sony implements these features themselves, I don't think we'll ever see it. It seems that hacking the PS3 is not something people are willing to do (with a 600 USD pricetag, it doesn't surprise me).

I just wish Sony implemented these features from the get go. Imagine the prospects of Sony giving us the tools to change our theme? All the possibilities are there, we can load images to be new icons (from the photo folder) a new keytone or startup sound from the music folder, etc. I just wish Sony would step it up and give us what we want.

As well I'd like to see some more organization options given to us for the XMB. I'd much rather have the ability to organize music, movies and photos as I want. This should also be extended to the PSN, being able to organize friends by game or any other option.

F9zDark
April 17th, 2007, 00:01
Sorry for double post: Oh and to remove the character limit when typing things in text boxes. No reason for such a limit on the PS3. Not to mention it makes the browser less functional, since we cannot post large amounts of written characters, limiting the extent of what can be said on a forum, via the PS3 browser.

mike03$$$
August 8th, 2007, 06:35
everybody said it all i guess