PDA

View Full Version : sandisk or sony?

g00gy
January 14th, 2007, 04:17
Well i had the guts to rip open one of my memory sticks. only to find out that it is a fake (it had a samsung flash chip). now i know why it has a hard time being detected by my psp. all of my ebay brought ones are fake and play games and ps1 games with laggy weird problems (unplayabble). ive had this for a year and it has given me hell.

so i ask you this question my humble friends of the homebrew community.

1. what place to get a real memorystick around 2-4gb?

2. Sandisk or Sony????

juggaleaux
January 14th, 2007, 04:46
I haven't compared the two myself, but the general consensus around here is that Sandisk has a much faster access speed that Sony, plus they're cheaper as well.

Gizmo356
January 14th, 2007, 04:48
Sandisk all the way they are alot faster and cheaper like juggaleaux said:D

xg917
January 14th, 2007, 04:48
yepp, sandisk is the way to go
and go to... ummm i live in the USA so i dont know wat thay have in london..

IronX
January 14th, 2007, 05:48
Yep, sandisk... seeing as my new 4gb sony ms doesn't work well on my PSP.

xtreameracer01
January 14th, 2007, 05:56
Well i had the guts to rip open one of my memory sticks. only to find out that it is a fake (it had a samsung flash chip). now i know why it has a hard time being detected by my psp. all of my ebay brought ones are fake and play games and ps1 games with laggy weird problems (unplayabble). ive had this for a year and it has given me hell.

so i ask you this question my humble friends of the homebrew community.

1. what place to get a real memorystick around 2-4gb?

2. Sandisk or Sony????
1.) EB Games (http://www.ebgames.com/), Gamestop (http://www.gamestop.com/Default.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&) for store bought ones or internet bought

2.)Sandisk if you want speed and have little to spend and Sony if your just a fan boy and believe in buying the "Highspeed" memory sticks for more money........

Yep, sandisk... seeing as my new 4gb sony ms doesn't work well on my PSP.
Where did you get it from? and by it "doesnt work well" do you mean?

g00gy
January 14th, 2007, 06:13
Where did you get it from? and by it "doesnt work well" do you mean?

all my mssticks from ebay. to anyone thinking of buying a msstick from ebay DONT unless you want laggy games and weak infrastructure.

i think the msstick is the cause of the probl;em since ive tried 3diffrent psp's and all my mssticks are from ebay and fake so yeknow.

splodger15
January 14th, 2007, 10:15
yepp, sandisk is the way to go
and go to... ummm i live in the USA so i dont know wat thay have in london..

We do have sandisk cards as well.

gdf
January 14th, 2007, 12:38
go to the shops, defo not fakes in gamestation etc, plus you can get them decently cheap. it's like £40-50 for a 2 gig sandisk.

jonezybaby
January 14th, 2007, 14:50
i have a sandisk 1gb
and had a sony 2gb (note had) it F***ed up on me and ended up in bin

g00gy
January 14th, 2007, 14:55
So now im going to get a 2gb sandisk. But theres these sandisks that have colours and are called gaming editions. do you reccomend those over normal ones?

(especially since you can see the chip without openning it)

SSaxdude
January 14th, 2007, 15:07
I have had less problems with my Sandisks than my Sony sticks, so I would go with Sandisk (plus they are cheaper.)

Don't buy from EB or Gamestop, their prices are way overpriced. I know newegg.com has 4 gb for $100, and there is another site outpost.com (I think that's the name) that has them for $15 cheaper after rebate.

g00gy I've had no problems with my solid colored 1 gb Sandisk than my 256 mb gaming edition one (I've had to reformat it and some stuff gets corrupted.) The sites I mentioned above sell the solid colored ones, not the gaming edition ones. The gaming editions are usually the ones you'd find in EB or Gamestop.

g00gy
January 14th, 2007, 15:14
i still dont understand why sandisk would make 2 diffrent versions. whats the diffrence maybe the gaming edition is faster and more powerfull on the psp with magicgate support.

acn010
January 14th, 2007, 15:22
computer store :P
i have to buy one later my friend is selling me a ScanDisk 4GB memory for 100 dollars,
so i recommend you scan disk because its cheap, fast and affordable

xtreameracer01
January 14th, 2007, 17:59
i still dont understand why sandisk would make 2 diffrent versions. whats the diffrence maybe the gaming edition is faster and more powerfull on the psp with magicgate support.

I beleive i have the gaming edition, (mine are colored), and i havent had a problem since i bought them late last year......

EDIT:
Another good place to buy them is Bestbuy (http://www.bestbuy.com), they normally have deals going on weekly/monthly......

g00gy
January 14th, 2007, 23:38
Im going to use "play.com" becuase they do free delivery and only £39.99 for a 2gb sandisk.

pibs
January 15th, 2007, 00:19
i buy sony highspeeds off amazon.com and they work great. the transfer speeds for big psx games is faster if you are connected through a usb2 highspeed connection.

drEDN4wt
January 15th, 2007, 00:47
i believe the gaming edition is just a nicer colour and bundled with some game extras/downloads.

i have a genuine sandisk 4gb and at first thought it was slower than my Lexar 512 mb it replaced. after using http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48678
i found that their read speeds were the same but that the lexar had a 30% faster write speed.

in the past people had stated that hi-speed cards were no faster than standard speed cards in a psp, but one post in that link shows a high speed card with the same read speed as a std card but the write speed was 2x that of std.

also that how you format the stick matters....fat16 or psp format for large files, fat 32 via pc for small files.

SSaxdude
January 15th, 2007, 01:07
I beleive i have the gaming edition, (mine are colored), and i havent had a problem since i bought them late last year......

EDIT:
Another good place to buy them is Bestbuy (http://www.bestbuy.com), they normally have deals going on weekly/monthly......

Best Buy sells 4 gb sticks for $150, not such a great deal but better than Gamestop or EB.

g00gy
January 15th, 2007, 02:13
Im going to be really upset if after this purchase my PS1 games and PSP games still lag.

as ive noted before this problem has been happening for long (1Year) and cant fix it. ive tried diffrent psp's and 3diffrent fake ms sticks!

I cant wait to see myself playing final Fantasy IX and chrono cross on psp with fullspeed becuase currently they are laggy :(