PDA

View Full Version : Umd Region 2 Information

wraggster
April 5th, 2005, 18:45
Source = <a href="http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=pspmedia&message.id=5383" target="_blank" >Here</a>

<BLOCKQUOTE>please note that the sharing and compatibility of regions between Japan and Europe for PSP UMD movies is a misconception. To clarify, European UMD-Videos will be region coded only for use with European PSP units and you will not be able to view European UMD-Videos on Japanese PSP units.The PSP movie incompatibility between Europe and Japan has been confirmed by our contacts in both Sony USA as well as Sony of Japan.Although the DVD region-2 is used in both Europe and Japan, Japanese movie DVDs are not cross compatible in EuropeRegards,
NCS, Inc
</BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats very interesting, anyone have thoughts on this ?

Vimes220
April 5th, 2005, 18:55
I hope this turns out to be wrong, i could have had a US PSP by now, but hey, who wants to pay £10-£20 for a UMD when you can gaet a memory stick for £100 which will hold what ever movie you want :)

unsungzero
April 5th, 2005, 18:58
Kinda dissapointing, but what Vimes said.. yeah just rip dvds or whatever to your memory stick and you're sorted. Do the UMD movies have special features like their DVD counterparts?

If not then I don't see what all the fuss is about.. not that most people would watch them anyway.

aseddon130
April 5th, 2005, 19:01
that sucks ... but if anything the region thing will be hacked by the time they even come out on UK region 2 so in a way i dont think people will be that worried.

a japanese dvd works on my dvd player (region 2) so i think that is wrong tbh ... i hope it is ...

Vimes220
April 5th, 2005, 19:02
I read somewhere that there were no special features (but if i'm wrong someone will say).

aseddon130
April 5th, 2005, 19:04
u mean like DVD extras ?? if so then it will be true i reckon, except for a few trailer for new films

jhenry_uk
April 5th, 2005, 19:09
Its a worrying thought as Ive got a jap psp on the way, but on the other hand, just cos a store told someone of the incompatibility, dosnt make it true, stores often get these things wrong and sony would have announced it before the store

unsungzero
April 5th, 2005, 19:13
I checked out Spiderman UMD movie on ign.com and it says the only extras are subtitles and the like.. and a couple of movie trailers.

Haha if all UMD movies are gonna be like that, then screw it I'll jus stick to gettin a 512mb memory stick.. that'll do for some episodes of family guy or whatever.

Still, if true, it is a disadvantage to the regular user which may expect the regions to be the same as dvd regions.

I don't think it is true though, I visited that site and it doesn't really look all that pro and maybe they just wanted the guy to buy UMD movies on import rather than wait for them to be released over here.

Corpsical
April 5th, 2005, 19:16
I'm not so sure this will turn out to be wrong, Sony have created the UMD format to protect against piracy (of software) but no doubt to also control the release of movies to various regions, whilst Japan is Region 2 for DVD's which UK players can read, theres no reason why Sony would automatically make a Japan Region 2 and UK Region 2 compatible.

Of course if Sony bring out recordable UMD's then the above statement has even less weight.

Corpsical

Vimes220
April 5th, 2005, 19:24
why don't we wait and see, cos we will only know the answer for definate when UK UMD movies are released

wraggster
April 5th, 2005, 19:29
i want to watch usa umds on my jap psp personally

lets hope they crack the region protection

leggy
April 5th, 2005, 19:30
I wouldnt be surprised if we can't play the UK movies on a Jap machine - sony and the movie business try to shaft us every way they can.

As has been said, who cares when you can rip them onto a memory stick! The movie companies will loose out in the end.

jhenry_uk
April 5th, 2005, 19:33
In the end, region 2 is region 2, if they dont want uk movies to play on jap machines, they would probally have created a new region code naming and not left usa and japan the same as their dvd counterparts

Corpsical
April 5th, 2005, 19:35
Good point Vimes220 :)

As far as the actual UMD movies are concerned I would have thought (using DVD's as my example) that the USA would probably have a bigger range of movies, and will probably be quite a bit cheaper.

Not that I intend to buy any really, I like my movies to be 'uncropped' and can see alot of 2:35:1 movies being made 1:85:1 to fit the screen, so I think I'll stick to transfering to Memory Stick (unless the price of the UMD's are really cheap).

Corpsical

Vimes220
April 5th, 2005, 19:46
I'm currently converting several of my fav movies ready for my PSP. going to alton towers soon and am facing a long trip in the car to get there.

but then that is why i am getting a PSP

leggy
April 5th, 2005, 23:04
Vimes, what are you using to convert your films?

psplover
April 5th, 2005, 23:53
Once the UK systems come out they will have new bios. Don't upgrade your Jap PSP v2 bios to V3, Up them to Euro V1. Tada.

Vimes220
April 6th, 2005, 07:04
Vimes, what are you using to convert your films?

its called 3GP, dunno if its the best or not, just one i picked up off one of these forums

Clare
April 6th, 2005, 12:38
Someones bound to write their own region free movie player, or something like Region X on the PS2 you know.