PDA

View Full Version : Reduce PSX Eboots by a HUGE amount. ~Working~

cdrdj
January 15th, 2007, 07:35
~ NO ISO TALK. THIS POST IS ABOUT RIPPING LEGIT COPIES. BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU SAY~
Some guy over at PSPU has described a way of trimming the games by taking out video and audio. So if you guys don't care much about cg and possibly audio, then this method is for you. I've tried it out and it works pretty well. Reduced eboot from 232mb down to 29mb, WORKING w/music and cutscenes. Very simple too. I suck at all this software stuff and I got this thing to work.

EDIT: I've just looked at this post and it looks long and complicated. Trust me it's not. It's actually really short. I'd say that you could convert 2 or 3 eboots in the time it takes to read this post. So read it once over but after that, it's fast and quick.

If you don't want to read all the comments and stuff, just read the procedure in bold

~~Copied and Pasted From PSPU poster Stubwub~~ (Remember to credit sources even if you don't like the site. I don't want to see another ps2nfo site.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things needed:
psmplay and psxldr: http://pdai.org/~dk/guide/ldrguide.htm
wnaspi32.dll (needed for psmplay): http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...shtml?wnaspi32

- Open PSM Play

- Select "Analyze DAO Image" from the File menu.

- Browse your computer for the image you just made and select the .bin file

- Only check the STR and XA boxes, then hit Start.

- When that is done it will ask you if you want to save your data, hit yes. Then for the sake of convenience, put it in the same
folder as your disc image.

- Now open PSXLDR.

- Locate and Open both your image file and psm file.
You should see the raw data on the files that PSM Play found to the left.

- Press "Rip All", a message box will pop up when it is finished. Depending on the speed of your computer and the ammount of
data that needs to be ripped, this may take a few minutes.

- Once that is finished you may close it.

- Ok heres where I used PSX2PSP 1.0.7.1 to convert the bin for use with popstation my resulting eboot is 56.1mbs for the
game Silent Hill that was a 587 iso, all music works, and game is playable.

[STUBWUB] I've tried two games so far and it's worked for me. The first was Suikoden, where I saved 50MB, and the other was Digimon World 2, where I saved 200MB. (Ie: Normal popstation co mpression brings the eboot to 200 something MB, this method got it down to 57MB)

Everything is playable and the music and all is still there. Well, except for movies. I guess this removes that to cut down on files sizes. But it is working for me and I guess if you dont mind not having cutscenes...

~~End of quote~~ Original Post (http://forums.qj.net/f-general-psp-help-22/t-guide-shrinking-psx-game-size-89945/page6.html)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've done this with chocobo racing and got the eboot from 232 mb all the way down to 29 megs. I've played through it and I'm actually not sure what's missing yet. I played through 5 different stages and 3 different characters. I've also played the first chapter of the story mode. It actually has complete sound and video from what I've seen. So i'm guessing that this method just ripped out the chocobo dungeon demo ( which must've been huge considering how small this eboot now is)

Like I said, this worked for me on chocobo racing, haven't tried any other games yet but comments have ranged saying that some games have no audio or cg whatsover at all but they did work for the most part. More so then the other method discussed recently with cdgenps2. I'm basically posting to share this good piece of news and also to ask poeple who know this program, what are the other check marks like tim vab vag and seq? What do they do?

Just a reminder. People have done this and stopped at the step when you get the file converted because they ended up with the same size or a size that's bigger. It's not this step that you look at the size, it's AFTER you get the file into eboot format. I had my converted Chocobo Racing eboot the same size as the original rip (from my legit psx game) but AFTER I converted using popstation, it became 29 megs instead of the normal 200+. So do this til the very end. Don't stop anywhere

Bytrix
January 15th, 2007, 10:34
There have been many posts already on how to rip media from our PSX backups.

Personally I hate ripping anything from the game, I'd rather play it exactly as it was meant to be played.

jonezybaby
January 15th, 2007, 14:02
Personally I hate ripping anything from the game

i agree, wats the point in playin the games wen everything is ripped out? pointless id say, im guessin desperate people just wanna play the games no matter wat it takes :confused:

cdrdj
January 15th, 2007, 15:33
I somewhat I agree with what you guys say but I'd only apply that thought to things like Rpgs. And it's not always ripping out something bad. Like Chocobo Racing. I still don't know what was ripped out. I've been playing it so far and It's complete as far as I know. And if I can play it mostly complete at 29 megs compared to 200+ megs for a complete experience that includes a demo i'll never play, then i'd choose the 29 meg rip anyday.

And even if it's something like FFVII, I wouldn't mind not having any cg if it means having the eboot trimmed by a few hundred megs. I've played the game through so many times that I don't need to watch the cg's anymore.

Another example is taking out the anime endings at the end of rival schools. It's a fighting game, so the story really shouldn't matter anyway. I personally don't care at all what happens to the characters after beating the game. But if I can trim it by a few hundred megs just for taking out the anime, then i'd do it.

But I guess everyone has different experiences depending on the game. To each his own.

porchemasi
January 15th, 2007, 15:54
What exactly does this remove from the game?

cdrdj
January 15th, 2007, 16:19
What exactly does this remove from the game?

Not exactly sure. Some people have commented that cutscenes or audio is taken out. But I'd say that every game is different. Like Chocobo Racing for example. As I've said, I don't know what, other than the Chocobo Dungeon Demo, was taken out.

Gold Line
January 15th, 2007, 16:23
this dont work for me it dose not let me save the psm file

After it analyzes the bin file it says no valid file format found

xg917
January 15th, 2007, 18:02
did u know that ripping legit copies, also applies to psp games? HAS ANYONE EVER THOUGHT OF THAT!!

mavsman4457
January 16th, 2007, 02:03
Could someone rip the audio of metal gear solid when otacon says, "Snake? Snake?! Snake!!!!" Haha, I have been looking for that for a very very long time and haven't been able to find it.

felonyr301
January 16th, 2007, 05:57
tried it with gran turismo 2 and it came down to 451 from 659 but after the warning screen it goes blank?

Edited: forget it it works but its not stable though crashes many times to me.

pibs
January 16th, 2007, 06:54
Tried it with spyro and it just crashes after i try talking to a dragon

Oraichu
January 16th, 2007, 11:53
Did this with both Resident Evil 3 and Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy crashed anywhere there is a CG-cut scene. In RE the scenes are just empty and it skips them.

Final Fantasy VII 700mb .bin -> 230mb .PBP
Resident Evil 3 700mb .bin -> 290mb .PBP

This space reduction makes the CG-movies no longer work, so there's alot of games that doesn't work with this edit.

xg917
January 16th, 2007, 12:39
i did that with soul blade 400 MB >>>> 29 MB

and it would say that game cannot be played

Tinnus
January 16th, 2007, 23:23
This will (possibly) rip movies (in STR format) and sounds (in XA format).

Some movies are not in STR format and some audio is not in XA, so they're not always ripped :)

I can guarantee you it can't rip a Chocobo Dungeon game, so it's probably a huge intro video or something which you didn't notice it's missing :p

felonyr301
January 17th, 2007, 04:08
the games become very unstable with the psmplay method.

Tinnus
January 17th, 2007, 15:10
Of course, some games cannot be played without the files.

The best thing you can do is replace them with dummy/tiny ones (empty/small videos and sounds, but retaining the right file structure).

Of course in Final Fantasy you cannot do that with all the videos because some of them are interactive.

MikeDX
January 17th, 2007, 15:13
Just like to point out that unless you have a license from sony, copying, ripping etc a PSX game is still piracy.

tsurumaru
January 17th, 2007, 15:16
I'd just like to point out this release as well:

http://lan.st/showthread.php?t=474

tophead420
January 23rd, 2007, 10:27
lol iv tried this and every game iv tried hasn't work and rippin ff7 and other rpgs are out of the question seeing that sum of the game goes into video ( where your still plying while videos occur) ripping the videos from these such games wouldnt work cuz then you cudnt have the game to video cut scenes

Mr. Shizzy
January 23rd, 2007, 19:46
This is hot! I'll try it after work tonight!

I LOVE memory space saving tips :D :D

EDIT: Could you re upload the driver again? The link is broke. Thanks again.

penileartery
January 29th, 2007, 01:59
this isnt bad cool