PDA

View Full Version : Rockbox

quzar
January 15th, 2007, 21:32
anyone here use rockbox for ipod? if so, does anyone know if there is ANY video support at all for it?

the_eternal_dark
February 6th, 2007, 08:29
Yes, I use it. No, no video support at this time.

quzar
February 6th, 2007, 13:33
Actually there is. For the past month. I just recently found out too. They even just added sound to the video support. Previously you could do full video in a rockbox format (yuck) but now they let you play mpeg-1 class files. Of course on a 5.5g ipod a 320x240 mpeg plays at about 8fps, but still!

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/PluginMpegplayer

the_eternal_dark
February 6th, 2007, 19:58
Actually there is. For the past month. I just recently found out too. They even just added sound to the video support. Previously you could do full video in a rockbox format (yuck) but now they let you play mpeg-1 class files. Of course on a 5.5g ipod a 320x240 mpeg plays at about 8fps, but still!

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/PluginMpegplayer

I hadn't checked the daily builds since mid-December. Sorry for the bad info. It looks like I need to update and check it out.

*edit* Why doesn't anyone post here?

quzar
February 6th, 2007, 21:18
There's not much to talk about. iLinux is a bit rough, and rockbox, although so great still falters in it's (for the most part) inability to play video, view many types of pictures, lower battery life, etc.

Most people I've spoken to (I've put rockbox on three friend's ipods, mostly convinced by the fact that I lend them lots of music in flac) don't realize that it's possible to have rockbox run concurrently with the standard firmware (and if you're clever you can actually make your whole music library readable by both).

What we could probably use is more step by step tutorials on how to do this stuff.

the_eternal_dark
February 7th, 2007, 03:26
I don't think the battery life is much different with my Nano running rockbox. It may lose 1-2 hours of additional play, but I don't listen to it for more than 1-2 hours at a time anyway, plus my car adapter is a charger and my iPod radio charges while playing as well.

Running rockbox in parallel to the standard iPod firmware is something we should try to make easier for all users. In my experience, the only people who know anything about rockbox (in my area) found out by over hearing someone talking about it in comparison to iLinux at school or some one asks me at work how to put their cd collection on their iPod without using iTunes. I recommend rockbox to them. For them, it's easier than iLinux to learn and they seem to not notice or care about the video playback.

I'll set out to do some step-by-steps this weekend for the manual rockbox installation, running rockbox in parallel to the Apple fw, and possibly an iLinux installation as well (that is if I don't get an interview anytime soon), with pictures.

*I just noticed, 90 views, 5 replies... Lol. No one has any suggestions??*