PDA

View Full Version : I Need to find a good text writer, but cant.. help?

Joel92
January 18th, 2007, 01:15
lately i have been looking for text writers to put on my ds for some moble homework doing... but i cant seem to find any that actually WORK. i know dragonminded made one, but that just corupted my sd card (not a big suprise, lol), then i found one, but that only worked for flashcarts that work with cf cards, then i found another one that i thought looked good, but i realised that it didnt come with a pre-compiled version of the program in the folder, so i would have to do it myself, which i have tried, but cant get to work.

anyone have a good textwriter out there for me to be able to use? (Note, i would like it to be able to save, please)

Thanks in advance!

DanTheManMS
January 18th, 2007, 02:43
The one you are talking about for CF cards is called TxtWriter, right? I believe that the sources were modified to include DLDI support, so theoretically all cards should be supported now. In one of the DS dev sections of http://forum.gbadev.org you will find a topic called "DLDI for old or unsupported homebrew" that has a download link for the new version. Be sure to patch it with the DLDI patch for your device.

You could also use Vi, part of DSLinux. It's somewhat difficult to navigate, as it's driven by keyboard commands, but it works well enough for short tasks.

Joel92
January 18th, 2007, 03:07
hey, thanks for the reply, but i cant seem to get the links to work... im not sure if this is just my location, or if the links are just dead... if someone could get the file, then upload it someplace else so i could download it... that would be great!!

thanks again in advance!!

DanTheManMS
January 18th, 2007, 05:16
I actually just tried it myself and you're right, the link is dead. I posted a request for a re-upload, so check back on the thread sometime soon.

DanTheManMS
January 20th, 2007, 20:05
Sorry to double post, but I wanted to mention that someone reuploaded the DLDI version of TxtWriter. You can download it at http://users.bigpond.net.au/grandtheftauto/txtwriter_0.3.2.zip

victz
January 26th, 2007, 06:17
I can't seem to get txtwriter to work on my MMP. I didn't spend much time trying though, but any help would be appreciated. :)

Joel92
January 26th, 2007, 23:07
Thanks DanTheMan MS, this helped a lot. i patched the new version of it, and it works great!!

this is just what i needed.

as for victz, did you patch the file with the correct patcher and patch file?

Spelvin
February 21st, 2007, 08:47
AHHHH thank you for your doublepost dan I've been looking for txtwriter for like a week! every link's been dead so many thanks

DanTheManMS
February 21st, 2007, 23:22
No problem. Just for safekeeping, I've uploaded another mirror myself at http://dannysied.googlepages.com/txtwriter_0.3.2.zip

Spelvin
February 22nd, 2007, 09:36
Poop now it doesnt work, the files I save arn't there and when I try to load up a file it won't list anything, is this some weird DLDI thingy I don't understand?

DanTheManMS
February 23rd, 2007, 02:56
I would suggest patching it with DLDI, yes. Basic info on DLDI and how to patch homebrew with it can be found at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DLDI

You could also search for "DLDIrc" which will add an option in the right-click menu for .nds files to patch it.

Spelvin
February 24th, 2007, 22:35
I would suggest patching it with DLDI, yes.

wow, relly? I was just using DLDI as an example of something I am totally in the dark about. You know what tho i just tried it and holy crap it works! Got the TXT folder in the root and it saves there and opens up just fine, moonshell can read it as well as Textedit on my mac! I am lucky enough to have both mac and windows computer here at home so I used DLDI Drop, a super-simple mac app for the patchin', fixed my troubles w/ DSOrganize too.

DanTheManMS
February 25th, 2007, 03:52
Glad to hear you got it working correctly. Yeah, the original version was made for a few Compact Flash devices only, so the fact that it was recompiled with DLDI support is great, as it enables almost every card to use it.