PDA

View Full Version : PSP Multiplayer With One Game

wraggster
April 6th, 2005, 18:28
I was sent this to me:

<BLOCKQUOTE>I was playing around with the PSP and I wanted to play a multiplayer game with my friend. But because he did not have the game I was trying to figure out a way to play with only one copy. And I found out that it is actually pretty easy. I tested the game with Twisted Metal and it worked great. To play any multiplayer game on a Sony PSP with only one copy of a game, do the following:

* Place the game into the 1st PSP. Start the game. Start a Multiplayer Ad-Hoc game. (Set the time to unlimited because moving the game between the units takes a while.) Enter the game.
* Once you are in the game, remove the game from the unit. A message will appear asking whether you want to exit the game, say NO! The game should resume.
* Now take the game and place it into the 2nd PSP. Start the game. Now go to Ad-Hoc games and find the server that the other PSP has already started. Enter the game.
* And now you are playing eachother on two PSPs with only one copy of the game.
This works great, but I bet you Sony doesn't like it. Also to be on the safe side I removed my memorystick to prevent any possible data loss if the unit freezes. Also when you want to exit the game it might freeze. And even trying to power off the unit might not work. To solve this problem just place the game into the frozen PSP and it will do some loading and then resume normally. </BLOCKQUOTE>

this update too

<BLOCKQUOTE>Hey, its the guy who wrote this article. I just wanted to say that you do need to let the 1st PSP completely load into the game, and then only can you remove the game to place it into the second unit. Now on the second unit go to ad-hoc mode and find the server that is already started. Enter the game, which means load it, and now you can remove the disc if you wish to add a third or fourth unit into the game.</BLOCKQUOTE>

Vimes220
April 6th, 2005, 19:11
anyone tried this?

Greensprout
April 6th, 2005, 19:14
Not yet, theres a guy at work with one so I'll give it a go in the morning and I'll let ya'll know..

psplover
April 6th, 2005, 22:44
It will work. PSP loads games into the ram. See you can load up a level of ape escape. Take it out of the system turn the system off then come back hrs later and finsh the stage without the cd in.

alerith
April 6th, 2005, 23:08
Unfortunately, it won't work for games with in-game loading like Untold Legends. It will just hang and wait for the UMD everytime it loads items (drops) and your inventory menu (I tried taking the UMD out after loading my game). But this is good news for games like Ridge Racer and Lumines!!

psplover
April 6th, 2005, 23:11
So why don't you hurry up and eat, then come over so we can play lumines or get your ass handed to me in RR ^^.

psplover
April 7th, 2005, 01:08
So far the only game me and alerith have got working is ridge racer.
Where trying Ape Escape now.

psplover
April 7th, 2005, 01:47
Yeah anything where it doesnt allow time to wait for other players cant connect easly.

alerith
April 7th, 2005, 02:02
Ridge Racer works because it allows one player to be in the game without a timeout while waiting for the other player (It idles at the race start, and the countdown doesn't begin until both players have completely loaded). This is the same concept as Twisted Metal, since in TM you can have one player drive around the course for 30 hours without any other players.

In order for it to work with Ridge Racer, one person needs to load up and start a wireless game. When they're waiting for a new player, switch out the disc and then the second player can keep the disc until after cars are chosen (the cars will only show up for whoever has the UMD). Then the screen will go black, after a few seconds (until you're sure it's done), switch the UMDs again. Then the Now Loading... screen will appear on both PSPs. Then just one more swap, after the race is completely loaded on the first, and then the countdown will begin. Pretty complex, but I guess its worth it on occasion ^_^

As for Lumines, there is an approximately 8 second timeout in which one PSP has to load, you have to swap the UMD, and then the second PSP has to load. I switched it out as fast as I could move my hands (fairly damn fast) and the connection timed out about a second prematurely.

Ape Escape is pretty much the same as Lumines, but it would probably work if the load times weren't so damn long.

So this trick wouldn't work on many games, but Ridge Racer and obviously Twisted Metal are some :)
Anyone have other tests?

Greensprout
April 7th, 2005, 07:40
Yeh Ridge Racer Works just tried at work..

Clare
April 7th, 2005, 07:52
Do you still get the music on both systems with Ridge Racers, as I was under the impression it was streamed off the UMD?

psplover
April 7th, 2005, 11:44
Whichever unit has the umd has the music.

mrgraves
April 7th, 2005, 12:25
puyo pop worx!

Greensprout
April 7th, 2005, 16:11
Just a little tip on RR:

Don't pause the game when doing this because it only pauses one user and then when you resume you will lose your speedo, lap times etc..

Tazbeemer
April 25th, 2005, 16:12
Yeah this works wiv twisted metal GR8. :)