PDA

View Full Version : MS claims 'over half' of 360 buyers didn't own Xbox 1

wraggster
January 18th, 2007, 18:20
via eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=71950)

Microsoft's Chris Satchell claims that "over half" of the people who have bought Xbox 360 since its November 2005 launch did not buy an Xbox 1.

"We've sold 10.4 million, but the stat you may not have heard is that over half of those sales are from people that didn't own an Xbox 1," Satchell - general manager of Microsoft's game developer group - told our sister site GamesIndustry.biz in an interview published today.

"So there're lots of new people coming in, which kind of surprises you. What we're actually finding is that our customer set is broadening, which we think is important."

That's a view well known to be shared by Nintendo, which has made significant strides with its DS and - it believes - Wii business by seeking to broaden its target demographic rather than simply selling more games and systems to existing fans.

However Satchell's comments are likely to be questioned in some quarters because Microsoft has already publicly admitted that it hasn't really sold 10.4 million consoles to consumers.

Speaking to gi.biz at CES, Peter Moore said that in the context of its own figures, "'Sold' means that we're a wholesaler of hardware and we sell it to a retailer, and that's the important criteria."

Meanwhile, recent NPD Group figures put Xbox 360's US installed base at 4.5 million, with Wii at 1.1 million and PlayStation 3 finding its feet with around 690,000 US owners by the end of 2006.

Whatever the real 360 number though, the fact that Microsoft is claiming "over half" as new consumers is likely to cause concern amongst its console rivals and surprise commentators - some of whom have been vocal in their belief that Xbox 360's early success is down to enthusiasm from the existing 24-million-strong pool of Xbox 1 owners, and not necessarily thanks to growth in Microsoft's console business.

spikegrantham
January 18th, 2007, 19:34
I agree. I was a Sony purist. My first console was Ps1 then imoved on to ps2 but saw sonys flaws with the ps3 and went xbox360 6 months ago and am sticking to my decision and not buying a ps3.

shadowprophet
January 18th, 2007, 20:13
Heh, Damned skippy. Cause if they Had. They would have known better then to spend their money on that peice of crap:rofl:

BrooksyX
January 18th, 2007, 21:08
Thats good to hear, I personally bought my XBOX 360 because I liked my XBOX so much.

beetroot bertie
January 18th, 2007, 21:23
I'd agree too. I have 3 mates that also have 360's and out of the 4 of us only one had an Xbox prior to the 360.

One had a PS2 and the other 2 of us had Dreamcasts.

Dickhead
January 18th, 2007, 22:38
Well I bought an 360 and before that I had a PS2, Why did I do this? well Sony has not been very good towards its customers and the PS3 in the UK at least is taking to long to come to the market, also its far too expensive!!. Anyway the 360 has been out well over a year now and the PS3 is just playing catchup. I am pleased of what I have thank you, I also have a PSP too, but thanks to 3.03oe I can play my old PSX games without the ps3....

vtd@.//
January 19th, 2007, 22:01
lol its an interesting fact. :) well here's the thing about me my 1st console was a snes which rocked my world, than i got a sony playstation computer entertainment system for my bday which rocked like heck because i was like woah this thing rules! later on in life (skip to early 2002,an n64,dreamcast,and some handhelds later) i got a brand new sony playstation 2 which i thought was really the best console ever and the console the majority of my games would be on ff10,jak&daxter,rachet etc. (skip to 2006adslite,gc,gbasp later) i was eager to get a ps3 at this point.
up until maybe september when i saw a preview for the new zelda game so i thought to myself:" i want a wii!!!!" i pursued this throughout november and most of december when my mind had quickly changed to :"i want a 360!" gasp i never thought those words would come out of my mouth but when i saw the halo 3 trailer and commercials not to mention blue dragon,gears of war, cod3,phantasy star universe,etc. i then wanted a 360 and guess wat xmas passed no wii in site, 360 always in stock ;) i got my 360 premium, a free copy of graw, and free insurence in store from gamestop! on december 30th and have not regretted this one bit ever since. i have borrowed halo one and two from friends and beaten them,i play prey,graw,cod3,and phantasy star universe online most days and i am eagerly awaiting to get halo 3 legendary edition !

quzar
January 20th, 2007, 00:53
That just goes to show how miserably they failed at the backwards compatability.

BrooksyX
January 20th, 2007, 04:04
That just goes to show how miserably they failed at the backwards compatability.

Well what I think they are trying to get at is that people who had a ps2 or gamecube bought a 360 instead of a Wii or PS3.

But I do agree that the backwards compatibility is garbage, only 1/3 of the original titles are supported. At least they didn't try and do it through hardware emulation because that would make the 360 cost more money.

mnuhaily22
January 21st, 2007, 05:31
Well I didn't own an xbox, but I played call of duty 2 demo at the local game store, I enjoyed it so much, that I got a 360, but no game realy hit the spot for me on the original xbox, except ofcourse halo and halo 2, which I play now on my 360...