PDA

View Full Version : What Could Sony do To Make the PSP Better?

wraggster
April 7th, 2005, 02:00
The PSP is a great console, theres no doubting that but what could be done by Sony to make it even better, have your say Here :)

alerith
April 7th, 2005, 02:05
Include a UV/screen protector. *praises Hori*

psplover
April 7th, 2005, 02:12
Make the sides matted instead of gloosed. Make the kit come with a screen protect/uv screen. Come with tv out. Be about $50 cheaper. Support loading from 1 umd disk. A bios update disk for ps2 so that you could use your psp to transfer your ps2 saves too.

criptix
April 7th, 2005, 02:22
support atrac format for the memory stick pro duo

at the moment it only works with regular duo and the bigger sticks are pro
think of the amount of music that could be put in atrac on a 1gb stick :D
Interchangeable faceplates

tv out
burnable umd

twomilesfromdavid
April 7th, 2005, 02:50
create the ability to make it a phone, add a sort of FLIP-UP keyboard for typing. add a camera attachment to take pictures, and add a microphone for online voice chat or IN GAME voice chatting. DAMN THAT WOULD BE THE SHIZNIT!

When i think about it ... it's only compitition is the DS and NOW the Sidekick because of psp's multi-possibilities. If it had those things i mentioned it would be the best and most useful thing to own.

P.S. .... maybe some sick-@$$, long lasting battery pack would be nice.

:eek: :cool:

-David

twomilesfromdavid
April 7th, 2005, 02:51
o yeah and burnable UMD and TV out like criptix said.... OMG wouldnt THAT be awesome. Thank God for third party companies. This system's gonna be sooooo fuuuuun!

psplover
April 7th, 2005, 03:29
While there at it they mines well include every PSP game ever to be made. No ones stupid enough to include a burner in there system. Lets ****ing be reasonable.

twomilesfromdavid
April 7th, 2005, 05:36
well as cool as it sounds to burn (copy) PSP games i wasnt even talking about that. I WOULD LOVE to store movies, mp3s, and images... or even maybe online developed games/emulators that people have made on their own time ONTO UMD discs! i bet they would be so much cheaper than buying a memory stick everytime. you can burn discs and pass em out to people if you have saved pictures or movies or mp3s on them ... that would be totally kick ass!... AND YOU KNOW IT! lol

-David

leggy
April 7th, 2005, 07:30
Nothing - it is perfect as it is :D

Seriously though, a hard drive would have been nice if it were incorporated into the existing machine.

Apart from that I would love a UMD burner!

Clare
April 7th, 2005, 07:37
Well I can think of one or two things that would make the PSP a little bit better:

1. Socket for composite or Svideo output.

2. Touch Screen or keyboard (I know there will be a keyboard available soon though). Also I bet some clever person will create a clip on screen protector that when in place plugs into the USB providing a touch screen.

3. More protocol options on the WIFI, Some people don't use just WEP or PPPoE for security.

4. PDA like software built into firmware, such as calendar, address book etc..

5. Protective case supplied with even the most basic package.

6. As already mentioned by some of you, a protective screen, but I would like one that isn't shiny!

7. No dead pixels, and a returns policy for units with dead pixels. I think the PSP is going to suffer with all that I have heard on the dead pixel issue. Sony, pull your finger out!

8. Snap on face plates, allowing you to change the look/colour of the system like you can with a lot of mobile phones.

9. Better software supplied. They could have included software to convert video to the correct screen res, pixel colour depth and file name format (I get the feeling people will pick up on this and tell me things like "But Sony don't want that and want you to buy UMD's not make your own movies"). Also a little Util to auto format pictures for the unit too. I mean, it's pointless putting a huge JPG or GIF on it that's larger than the screen can take.

10. And finally, a pop up toaster so I can have breakfast on the move!!!!

Vimes220
April 7th, 2005, 07:51
10. And finally, a pop up toaster so I can have breakfast on the move!!!!

now thats just silly, where would you keep the bread butter and jam??? :D

Huckleberry_Fin
April 7th, 2005, 10:24
A massive imporvement hardware wise would to to include a decent sized hard drive, yes I know the cost would probably rocket but a PSP with only a 10Gb HD built in would be amazing and definately put the last nail in Nintendo's overdue coffin.

Imagine a world where films, photos, songs and Home Brew games nolonger have to fight each other for space on our tiny and overpriced Memory Stick Duo's, are you feeling it too?

Secondly does anyone else try to stand up after wearing the remote control and headphones and find that they need a degree in escopology? The great Harry Houdini and the farse that is David Blaine would even struggle, those wires are far to long when connected together. Sony have been making the 2 part remote control and headphone sets since Mini Disc Walkmans came out but they were never that long.

darcy67
April 7th, 2005, 10:54
The ability to replace the screen when you get a scratch. Rather than having to replace the unit if it gets really bad.

aseddon130
April 7th, 2005, 12:59
to be honest i do not agree with the 'Hard Drive' thing you all say. i mean cmon, the PSP isnt even that big and u wanna add a hard drive to it? (think about it - the xbox has a hard drive, look at the size of that lol) - its supposed to be a portable handheld gaming system, all the MP3 and video playback is an added bonus. on that note i think they should lower the price of memory sticks

as for improvements, the biggest one would be the release date over here to be sooner !! ;)

as for minor ones, the obvious ones would have been to not make the screen so easily to pick up fingerprints!

make the PSP easier to make homebrew stuff for, i got a feeling theyll crack it eventually but still ...

lukej101
April 7th, 2005, 14:15
a

leggy
April 7th, 2005, 15:02
to be honest i do not agree with the 'Hard Drive' thing you all say. i mean cmon, the PSP isnt even that big and u wanna add a hard drive to it? (think about it - the xbox has a hard drive, look at the size of that lol) - its supposed to be a portable handheld gaming system, all the MP3 and video playback is an added bonus. on that note i think they should lower the price of memory sticks

My sister has just got an Archos with a 100GB hard drive and it is smaller than the PSP.

If only sony had incorporated one when they designed the PSP!

Mental2k
April 7th, 2005, 16:36
Actually release it in the UK!!!!!!!!! You know why it gets held up. Beacuse of all these crappy EU safety guidelines.

For EU, read: French

Darksaviour69
April 7th, 2005, 16:41
Actually release it in the UK!!!!!!!!! You know why it gets held up. Beacuse of all these crappy EU safety guidelines.

the biggest reason is that europe is its the smallest market (of us, jap, eu) so it is not as important, thats always will be the way and always will... unless we get bigger.

japan is the biggest, then the US but the US is the fastest growing market, thats why its getting more attention than japan these days

Vimes220
April 7th, 2005, 16:43
programable infra red remote control.

twomilesfromdavid
April 8th, 2005, 00:24
good ideas everytone!

and yeah you can fit a 100 gig harddrive into the PSP just to let you know. The harddrives they are coming out with now are SO DAMN small, its not even funny. And aseddon130, once you get a PSP ... and you realize how much you can do with it and put on it, you'd want a harddrive TRUST ME.

-David

aseddon130
April 8th, 2005, 00:49
i know David - i do have one - but they might aswell just make memory cards cheaper than what they are than sticking a Hard Drive, a Memory Stick is waaay smaller than a Hard Drive and they do the same thing, a hard drive probably would use more battery too. thats why i think that a HD on a PSP isnt such a hot idea!

Vimes220
April 8th, 2005, 06:50
A method of generating sensory data onto the human nural cortex.

they have the patents apparently

article:
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/07/1213210&tid=200&tid=155&tid=233&tid=126&tid=10&tid=14

leggy
April 8th, 2005, 10:10
Cheap as chips memory cards would be great!

Huckleberry_Fin
April 8th, 2005, 16:38
Sony or ScanDisk are not going to lower the price of memory sticks because they've got all PSP, Clie and Sony DSC camera users by the short and curlys.

A hard drive is definately the way forward because it is way cheaper. A 1Gb memory stick here is £100 (at best) and for less than that you could have a 200Gb hard drive. Granted the hard drives pysical size is massive but all we need is a cheeky little 10 or 20Gb and we're rocking. I don't fancy buying ten 2Gb memory sticks. May as wel buy one of those OQO bad boys, now they are a miracle or mordern technology. Anyone want to buy my kidney for £1,600 so I can afford one?

Corpsical
April 8th, 2005, 18:24
I think a Hard Drive will be released as an USB add-on, on the top of the console, that way Sony can keep the unit price down and allow those who wish, to purchase extra storage.

Dont think there will be any change to the DUO stick prices in the short term but memory generally allways gets cheaper, 2GB cards are already available at a price, which could easily store 2 movies, a few TV shows, half a dozen mp3 albums and all the save games you could throw at it, certainly enough to last for a holiday.

Hope to see a GPS system myself , would be cool :)

Also the inevitable Internet browser would be a welcome addition.

Corpsical

lukej101
April 8th, 2005, 19:15
a