PDA

View Full Version : Review: Double! Expand Memory Converter

bandit
January 20th, 2007, 03:53
Double! Expand Memory Converter
Manufacturer: DragonPlus
Site: Buy from Goldenshop (http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/psp/doubleexp.htm)
Price: $19.00

Overview : Finally an affordable solution to use cheap SD, Mini SD or MMC cards you already own on your PSP! The Dragon Double Expand Memory Converter for PSP is a plug & play solution that saves you money and expand your PSP media capacity! 2 cards can even be used at the same time!!

Features :

High quality 3rd party product.
Converts SD, Mini SD, MMC card to be used on PSP.
2 pcs of memory cards can be used simultaneously.

Quality/Usability : The ability to use different storage media on your PSP is a dream come true. With the Double Expand Memory Converter, you can use SD, Mini SD and MMC cards if you have them laying around the house. Not to mention, they are cheaper than Sony's proprietary format, Pro Duo.

Attaching the adapter to the PSP is simple. Whats great about this adapter is that you can use multiple cards at once. Want 4GB of storage? Just use two 2GB cards. And yes, you can use different types (i.e. SD and Mini SD, SD and MicroSD, etc.) Although the package says that 4GB cards are not supported, it actually does. I dont know if you can use two 4GB cards as I only own one.

In order to use multiple cards simultaneously, you need to format both of them using your PC. Once you format the cards, they have to be in the same spots they were originally in inorder for them to work. If the cards were swapped, it will no longer work and you would need to reformat them again.

Now that you know that you can use different media cards and multiple cards, you would want to know how it fairs in speed for reading/writing of data. I must say, the speed for reading/writing is fairly close to that of the Memory Stick Pro Duo itself. It takes slightly a little longer to load certain movies and games. I didnt notice any slow down in music.

I have also tested this with Devhook and emulated the firmware. It took a little longer to load the emulated firmware but wasnt too noticeable. I have also tested this on Dark_AleX's Custom Firmware 3.03OE-B and just like the others, there was slight delay in accessing the memory cards.

Conclusion : Overall, the Double Expand Memory Converter is a great alternative as a media storage. If you have any high capacity SD, Mini SD or MMC cards laying around the house, you wont need to purchase any Pro Duo cards. Unfortunately, the converter doesnt accept Pro Duo cards. It would of been nice if it would accept the original Memory Sticks as we all have those laying around the house. I know I do.

Images via comments

mad-brian
January 20th, 2007, 05:52
That looks pretty ugly, and the cable does retract? like wtf, it might be ok for home use or such but not much good for playing outside and such with that BIG cable sticking out

bandit
January 20th, 2007, 17:13
Cable does not retract. You think thats big? Take a look at Datel's 4GB HD. Thats BIG. I agree, they could have made the cable shorter.

DennyPSP
February 13th, 2007, 22:26
No Comments !

8GB in PSP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=401H72wia_E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=401H72wia_E

nerosephiroth
August 9th, 2007, 17:46
I have been eyeballing this thing for my PSP for quite a while and have been browsing the web for many a day and haven't found an answer yet. Most of the sites I have gone to that are selling this device don't have much in the way of a description (detailed anyway) so, here goes:

Does this device of wonderment and seduction support SDHC cards? I see in the video on Youtube of that Russian guy and he shoves what seems to be 4GB Kingston Elites in there but I see not where that item is listed on the Kingston Webpage. There is also a 8GB card out there. I am wondering if folks have tried it with the 8 card.

I would appreciate any time taken to solve this mystery before I end up taking a 200 dollar bath in 2X 8GB SDHC cards which I cannot use in the device that I want to use them. Thanks in advance.

PLZKLLME0080
August 9th, 2007, 17:50
i have a question for this, will this be able to split 1 file and be able to save it across 2 memory sticks? mainly big files that wont fit on just one of the memory sticks.

bandit
August 9th, 2007, 19:35
I have been eyeballing this thing for my PSP for quite a while and have been browsing the web for many a day and haven't found an answer yet. Most of the sites I have gone to that are selling this device don't have much in the way of a description (detailed anyway) so, here goes:

Does this device of wonderment and seduction support SDHC cards? I see in the video on Youtube of that Russian guy and he shoves what seems to be 4GB Kingston Elites in there but I see not where that item is listed on the Kingston Webpage. There is also a 8GB card out there. I am wondering if folks have tried it with the 8 card.

I would appreciate any time taken to solve this mystery before I end up taking a 200 dollar bath in 2X 8GB SDHC cards which I cannot use in the device that I want to use them. Thanks in advance.
I doubt it will work.

i have a question for this, will this be able to split 1 file and be able to save it across 2 memory sticks? mainly big files that wont fit on just one of the memory sticks.
No. You can not use two separate memory cards at the same time. It will only read one card but you can have two cards inserted at the same time.

VampDude
August 29th, 2007, 19:08
Will this device make it easier to play multiple disc PSone games (like Final Fantasy) that require the user to have more space to load the multiple discs (files in this case) which often requires to delete and send the next installment to the Memory Stick, and how easy will it be to change from one card to the other?

bandit
August 29th, 2007, 21:06
Will this device make it easier to play multiple disc PSone games (like Final Fantasy) that require the user to have more space to load the multiple discs (files in this case) which often requires to delete and send the next installment to the Memory Stick, and how easy will it be to change from one card to the other?
It all depends on the size of your memory card. The bigger the cards, the more you'll be able to hold. If you have two 1GB cards and a 700MB file on each, I dont think you would have a problem at all.

VampDude
August 29th, 2007, 22:08
It all depends on the size of your memory card. The bigger the cards, the more you'll be able to hold. If you have two 1GB cards and a 700MB file on each, I dont think you would have a problem at all.

For playing Final Fantasy 8 on the PSP with this a combo of a 2GB and a 1GB SD would go nicely as it's 3 700mb files (2100mb), but one thing that I would be worried about like what I have with my Datel 4GB MAX HDD is the speed rate of which the data flows to the PSP - The Datel 4GB HDD gets warm after a short while and the data flow is limited...

...This would be an ideal device for me if I knew that the problems like with the Datel product were not on this, because I would love to be able to take a whole 3 disc PSone game with me wherever I go and be able to play it without the frustration of my PSP freezing up on me during gameplay.

evilsweeps1234
March 8th, 2008, 09:24
this thing had been one big pain in the ass.

I just got one of these and i had 2 old 2gb sd cards that i wasn't using, i formated the cards using my ps, formated them to FAT that didn't work, FAT32 didn't work, the psp will not recognize the SD memory cards in the coverter. i tyed port 1, port 2, both together, nothing worked,

any suggestions on how to format my sd cards so the psp will recognize them?

jokerswildt69
March 12th, 2008, 05:05
I am having the same problem i can not get my psp to recognize any sd card. any help would be much appreciated. I was also wondering if anyone has tried the 16 gig sd card yet, i have one but of course it wouldn't recognize that either.

jarshale
February 25th, 2009, 02:59
i think with 4gb cards being about 40USD now its better to just get one of those. less hassle
I hated my datel 4gb hdd. it was slow and heated up like crazy. not to mention made it awkward to stick in a pocket.
This doesn't look much more accommodating.