PDA

View Full Version : Guide - Recovery mode wont run after failed 3.03 oe install

redweaselboy
January 20th, 2007, 09:56
This guide is intended to help anyone who has found themselves in the situation i was in :-

I was running Dark Alex custom firmware 3.02 oe b with no trouble.
Wanted to upgrade to 3.03 oe.
Used easy installer to put the files onto the psp ( as i did with 3.02 which worked no trouble )
Ran the updater
Started to install ok
The 1.5 bit completed to 100%
Then disaster struck
The 3.03 bit got to 3% and failed
The PSP reset
I was left with a blank screen on start up with the access light flashing at 2 second intervals.
Recovery mode menu was accessable (thankfully)
Even though the recovery mode was ok there was a problem
Recovery mode would not run , no matter what we did and what recovery we used ( tried recoverys from all custom installations and 1.5, 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7 updates )
All that happened was the same black screen and the same 2 second flashing access light.

That is the boring backround out of the way.

After 2 hours of trying everything the answer was fairly straight forward.

Here is how we fixed it :-

My PSP 1.5 > 3.02 oe a > b > semi-brick > 3.03 oe a

Restart the psp.

Hold R to access recovery menu

Activate usb mode

DELETE the RECOVERY folder.

Create a /PSP/GAME/BOOT folder on the PSP

Get the Dark Alex 3.03 update ( Not an easy installer) Get it here : -

http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/998

You will also need the 1.50 and 3.03 official updates
Get them here :-

http://www.psp-hacks.com/category/36

Open the 3.03 update folder you just downloaded and copy the EBOOT.PBP file from the oeupdatemaker folder ( not the % one ) to the BOOT folder you created on your PSP

Rename the two firmware updates you just downloaded to :-

The 1.50 EBOOT renamed to 150.PBP
The 3.03 EBOOT renamed to 303.PBP

Copy both these files to the BOOT folder on your PSP

Go back to the recovery mode on the PSP

Select the configuration option from the menu

Enable the `AUTORUN PROGRAM AT /PSP/GAME/BOOT/EBOOT.PBP` option

Come back out of recovery and re-start your PSP

If all goes well the update maker should run

Now you need to watch this carefully as when it has finished it will re-start your psp for you. if you dont catch it quick it will just run the update maker again. (when it has finished there will be green writing on the screen to tell you it will restart in 5 secs - as soon as this appears hold the off button for 3 secs to total off the PSP)

Re-start the PSP and go into recovery mode again ( hold r)

Enable usb

Check inside the BOOT folder on the PSP and there should be the DATA.DXAR file

It should be about 17,944 kb in size

If it is not then you were not quick enough to turn off the PSP after the update maker ran and it has overwritten the file. just run the update maker bit again and be quicker

Delete everything inside the BOOT folder on the PSP except the DATA.DXAR file

Go back to your downloaded 3.03 update folder.

Now copy the EBOOT.PBP file from the 303oeflasher folder ( not the % one ) to the BOOT folder on your PSP

You should have just the EBOOT.PBP from the 303oeflasher folder and the DATA.DXAR file in the BOOT folder on the PSP

Go back to the recovery menu on the PSP and make sure the `Autorun program` option you used earlier is still enabled.

Re start the PSP

The update should run ( red writing on the screen )

When finished it will tell you to re start the PSP

Do this but make sure you hold R as you do to go back into recovery.

Enable usb mode and delete the BOOT folder off the PSP.

Re start again

You should be back to 3.03 oe.

This worked for me where all else had failed.

Sorry to be so long winded but although i am an avid PSP fan i know little about the nuts and bolts of the system and a simple guide like this would be ideal for me.

This guide would not of been possible without the help of all the guys on this forum who were kind enough to help me.

Biggest thanks go to TETRIS999 who took 2 hours out to help me on MSN.:)

vision
January 20th, 2007, 17:40
Lol i thought about that way but i didn't get into it, But anyways thanks alot i hope this helps people, Also a mod should make it sticky or something

ucenikkk
January 20th, 2007, 18:23
Hello , i sow ur posts in some forums, maybe u can have some time to write me back...i have bricked my psp during an 2.71->1.51 downgrade...and now psp boot at startup but the display remains open some seconds after that turn off, and i can t enter in the menu...i readed a lot on websites and i understand it s an semibrick...can i recover my psp ?and how?the right button doesn t work on startup to boot recovery , since i have installed 2.71 not an 2.71 se...can i do something about that?thanks and any help is appreciated.

xg917
January 20th, 2007, 21:59
hey wut i just noticed that it force starts the homebrew through the psp/game/boot as if it was a 1.0 homebrew. like u dont need the eboot from the % folder

mnuhaily22
January 21st, 2007, 05:57
I knew the easy installer was no good...

xg917
January 21st, 2007, 06:01
lol, jus to give u a heads up, anything with the word "EASY" has the most posibility of bricking. hehe

Tetris999
January 21st, 2007, 07:46
lol, jus to give u a heads up, anything with the word "EASY" has the most posibility of bricking. hehe

V-E-R-Y true professionals opinion

( ps i NEVER used an easy installer, i always did it the hard way and guess what i never bricked my psp by doing that)

xg917
January 21st, 2007, 16:01
and guess wut, the harder way isnt even hard!

flyingvking
January 24th, 2007, 03:18
Thanx To Red Weasalboy For The Guide I Had A Simular Problem But Alot Worse! I Went From 3.02b To 3.03b It Seemed Ok But Dident Play My Games So I Foolishly Just Tryed The 3.02b Update Thinking It Would Go Back But It Bricked It Instead Lol! I Tryed Your Guide But It Failed! ThRough Trying Different Things I Started To Understand Wot I Was Doing So I Found My Old Daxs Files And 3.02 Eboot Flasher And Skipped The First Part Completely And Fashed The System To The Original! I Think I Could Have Fashed It To 3.03a! But I Cant Complain Im So Releaved Thanx Again!!

RaiderX
February 10th, 2007, 16:59
Aren't you glad DAX is so smart! Make it copy the recovery first. :p

Nice guide btw, I'm sure others have or will have this problem. :thumbup: