PDA

View Full Version : Great idea for "Other OS"

IndianCheese
January 21st, 2007, 20:51
Wouldn't it be awesome if the PSP XMB was ported as an alternate OS to the PS3 so we could play our PSP homebrew games (and maybe even backups) on the PS3? I'm sure that if someone could port Linux, an operating system made by a completely different company, porting the PSP XMB, or even a PSP emulator for the PS3 would be just as simple.

F9zDark
January 22nd, 2007, 01:40
That sounds doable actually. We have the contents of Flash0 and Flash1, all we'd need is a bootable 'devhook'. Of course it would need to emulate the MIPS processor in the PSP and maybe even the Media Engine for games that use it, but its doable.

wowzors
January 22nd, 2007, 02:03
Yes this actually does sound doable but i would not expect this for sometime as a full speed/compatible PSP emulator is not avalible on PC yet.

F9zDark
January 22nd, 2007, 02:07
Very true and making it bootable nonetheless...

It would probably run a Linux backbone actually.

SSaxdude
January 22nd, 2007, 02:47
IndianCheese long time no see!

I don't really see the point in PSP homebrew on the PS3, since homebrew could be written for the PS3 and it would be better since the PS3 is powerful. But PSP games on the PS3 would definitely raise game sales.

F9zDark
January 22nd, 2007, 02:51
If the PS3 had a UMD drive. If I could play my PSP games on PS3 via Linux + Emulated PSP firmware, I would do so in a heartbeat and would give a legitimate reason to have UMD dumps; but I am afraid that people would just download them too...

However, Sony could easily combat this: allow us to plug in our PSP's via USB to the PS3 and play our UMD games on the PS3.

Would also give PS3 owners who don't have a PSP a reason to by one, UMD drive for the PS3.

Video_freak
January 22nd, 2007, 03:07
But PSP games on the PS3 would definitely raise game sales.

Only if it was a UMD loader or something. Otherwise, people would just be using illegal isos. :(

F9zDark
February 1st, 2007, 02:37
Only if it was a UMD loader or something. Otherwise, people would just be using illegal isos. :(

Sony should really think into releasing a UMD drive for the PS3. Plug it in via USB, pop in the UMD and bam. Good to go.

This would be easy money for them since they don't have miniaturize the technolgy, don't have power constraints and it will keep UMDs alive a little longer. Hell maybe then Sony could work a deal with record companies to use UMDs as well as CDs; can fit two or more albums easily on a UMD, which also serves the dual role of being portable...

I still believe Sony should make UMD burners; really, they'd make tons of ****ing money if they did, since burners and media generally tend to sell well, and I know I'd buy them for just about everything.

joshisposer
February 12th, 2007, 01:35
With the umd, it can use at3s, so they could hold like, a lot of albums. I think a burner would be awesome and then maybe like someone said, make it where u plug in your psp and you play it. That would be a good firmware update.

snuffster
July 16th, 2007, 04:23
sounds like a good idea lets hope somthing comes soon
even though i think sonys already given up on the umd
the more ps3-psp conectivity features the better
remote play rocks