PDA

View Full Version : What do i need to play homebrew on ds

ICE
January 22nd, 2007, 17:36
ok so im just getting started in nds homebrew so im clueless. basically i need some people to just tell me their set-up for nds homebrew and i'll use the power of google for the rest. thanks in advance.

DanTheManMS
January 22nd, 2007, 22:02
1. Either a slot-1 or slot-2 card. Slot-2 cards are currently more supported by homebrew.
Examples of slot-1 cards: R4, M3 Simply, DS-Xtreme, Supercard DS
Examples of slot-2 cards: M3, Supercard, G6

2. If you get a slot-2 card, you will need a slot-1 passthrough device to let DS code run from the GBA slot. Recommended ones are NoPass devices like the Max Media Launcher, Superkey, or PassCard 3. Alternatively, the Action Replay DS will also function as a NoPass if you hold Select.
If you get a slot-1 card, it will most likely have NoPass functionality built-in.

3. A media card. Some devices like the DS-X have built-in memory, but others use removeable storage. Slot-2 cards can come in Compact Flash versions plus 3 varieties of Secure Digital - SD, miniSD, and microSD. Slot-1 devices that use removeable storage typically use microSD cards.

4. If you get a media card, you will need a card reader. These are usually cheap and connect to a USB connector on your computer.

I personally would recommend a slot-2 device if you are into homebrew, and make sure you get one that has GBA compatibility. The cards with GBA compatibility have 32 MB of RAM that they copy GBA binaries to before running. Some DS homebrew can also use this 32 MB for additional features. DSLinux uses it extensively to prevent crashes, especially when browsing the web in it (the only two homebrew web browsers are in DSLinux). Also, SnezziDS, the best of the three SNES emulators for the DS, requires that RAM to be present or it won't run. Moonshell uses the RAM to speed up image processing for large JPEG files.

Slot-2 cards have also been out much longer and enjoy higher homebrew compatibility.

I have a Supercard miniSD myself.

ICE
January 22nd, 2007, 23:29
thank you for your very helpful reply. ok so with the Supercard miniSD i need an sd card and a passkey? will this work?--http://www.gameyeeeah.com/supercard-minisd-rumble-adapter-p-175.html

kcajblue
January 22nd, 2007, 23:58
is gameyeeeah even trusted?
you are correct,
if you had the supercard miniSD
you would need
*the supercard
*the miniSD card
and a
*passcard or superkey

ICE
January 23rd, 2007, 00:01
but that one i found( minisd rumble adapter) will work?

EDIT: also will the passcard 3 work??
sorry... im a TOTAL noob at nds homebrew. ive only done dreamcast and psp.

DanTheManMS
January 23rd, 2007, 01:01
The Rumble series does not have GBA support, although it would work for other DS homebrew. They removed the RAM necessary for GBA support in order to lower the price. The rumble feature itself is pretty worthless from what I've heard. If you don't really need GBA support (or want to use DSLinux or SnezziDS) then you should be fine with the Rumble.

You would still need a miniSD card and a NoPass. The PassCard3 will work as your NoPass if you want.

ICE
January 23rd, 2007, 02:15
ok thanks im gonna look for the non-rumble then.

http://www.gameyeeeah.com/product_info.php?products_id=34{2}6
look good?

DanTheManMS
January 23rd, 2007, 03:53
If you have a DS Lite, then yes it's good. If you have a DS Phat, you might want to consider a miniSD product instead, since the Supercard Lite won't fit into a DS Phat, and an M3 Lite only fits in with the help of an adapter.

You could just get the non-rumble version of the product you posted earlier. Here's a good store, linked to the Supercard miniSD section - http://www.realhotstuff.com/supercard-supercard-minisd-c-32_41.html

It's got both the Rumble and non-rumble versions, and it has bundles that include the Superkey you'll need and SD cards. I would recommend buying your own miniSD card elsewhere though, as you can get good deals if you shop at the right time.

In any case, before buying anything I would recommend doing some more research to make sure you know what you're getting into. No sense making an uninformed decision after all.