PDA

View Full Version : Metal Slug

Elven6
January 25th, 2007, 03:48
Is their a emulator out for the Metal Slug games? I have one fore 1 and 2 but what about the others?

Darksaviour69
January 25th, 2007, 09:11
AES4ALL plays metal slug X

Elven6
January 25th, 2007, 16:15
So 1,2, and X are the only ones playable so far on a DC?

Edit: I saw the compat list and found out 3 and 5 are also compatible, however 3 says Encrypted GFX, how would I do that?

Christuserloeser
January 25th, 2007, 21:07
Neo4All/CD play Metal Slug 1 & 2 perfectly.

Neo4All/AES is good for Metal Slug X, though in 2 player mode it's a good bit slower than in 1 player mode.

The other Metal Slugs are not yet really playable in Neo4All/AES. The fact that they do run however is a miracle itself.

Elven6
January 26th, 2007, 03:36
How is it a miracle? Is it theoreticaly unable to run on DC or is it just a not yet thing?

Christuserloeser
January 27th, 2007, 01:23
Both ^^

In fact they were assumed to be impossible to emulate on DC because of the system having only 16 MByte Main RAM, 8 MByte Video RAM and 2 MByte Sound RAM, and the games are much bigger than that.

However, Neo4aLL/AES uses MMU to load those parts of the game into the RAM that currently are needed to run the game (a bit like streaming the game's data if you like).

This method doesn't work flawless with every game right from start though. An optimized prefetch is needed to tell the emulator what exactly should be loaded and precached next, so it doesn't constantly load stuff that's not yet needed or not needed anymore.

So, while Metal Slug X does already have a good prefetch that allows the game to be played without too much loading in 1 player mode, the other Metal Slug games lack this kind of prefetch or any prefetch at all. That makes them run pretty jerky as they're keep loading from disc every few seconds while the game stops until the loading is completed.

In the end you should stick with Neo4All/CD for Metal Slug 1 and 2, and use Neo4All/AES with Metal Slug X. For other games in the Metal Slug series I would recommend to wait until a good prefetch is available.

bruce110
April 5th, 2007, 08:07
Neo and kawaks and MAME both can play the matel slug.You can try it.

Christuserloeser
April 5th, 2007, 10:27
? - Not on Dreamcast. MAME4All works with CPS1 games but not with NeoGeo games. You need Neo4All or AES4All to play Metal Slug on Dreamcast.