PDA

View Full Version : Chankast & Debug Console

warmtoe
April 9th, 2005, 21:55
Hi, not sure this is the right place, but I want good coverage

I primarily use Chankast now for all of my development work, it is great and does make the turnaround of code much quicker - but for one thing, there is no debug console output (printf would go to it normally)...

There was some talk about this at one stage - but I never saw a good response about setting it up - has anyone done this / does anyone know if the Chankast team are going to support this?

GPF
April 9th, 2005, 22:05
yeah that would be very cool and usefull, I usually use dcemu for checking serial output, even though its about 1000% slower ,when something wont work in Chankast, I use it to debug where its crashing so i can fix it so it works in CHankast.

I played around with those game cheat search tools to see if i could find a memory location within Chankast to maybe write a hook that could display the output, only problem was it was found in multiple locations and different depending on my program i was testing. Maybe this is a valid route if they dont release a version with a built in debugger?

I also was looking into a writing a debug handler that would redirect serial output to a vmu file since those can be viewed in a hex editor , text editor etc. But with the changes to the debug handling in Kos 1.3 I wasnt able to get it to work.

Troy

warmtoe
April 10th, 2005, 23:48
OK - I guess that using the DC is my only current option. Shame.

Darksaviour69
April 11th, 2005, 11:26
http://boob.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard3/ikonboard.cgi?s=425a4f4c23bdffff;act=SF;f=10

zezu is still working on Icarus, and has been active on the forums for that last few weeks, you could ask him about adding such a feature to Icarus

GPF
April 11th, 2005, 17:29
yeah that would be very cool and usefull, I usually use dcemu for checking serial output, even though its about 1000% slower ,when something wont work in Chankast, I use it to debug where its crashing so i can fix it so it works in CHankast.

I played around with those game cheat search tools to see if i could find a memory location within Chankast to maybe write a hook that could display the output, only problem was it was found in multiple locations and different depending on my program i was testing. Maybe this is a valid route if they dont release a version with a built in debugger?

I also was looking into a writing a debug handler that would redirect serial output to a vmu file since those can be viewed in a hex editor , text editor etc. But with the changes to the debug handling in Kos 1.3 I wasnt able to get it to work.

Troy

Well i posted a message over on emutalk.net chankast forum to see if I get any response.

GPF
April 11th, 2005, 17:38
http://boob.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard3/ikonboard.cgi?s=425a4f4c23bdffff;act=SF;f=10

zezu is still working on Icarus, and has been active on the forums for that last few weeks, you could ask him about adding such a feature to Icarus

Ok started a thread over there as well.

Troy (GPF)

GPF
April 12th, 2005, 16:43
well on this thread over on talfi.net . There is a screenshot that shows Chankast with a debugger. Dont know if there is someway we can enable it or if we just have to wait till they release it/source etc. Hopefully Soon :)

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.talfi.net%2 Fe107%2Fforum_viewtopic.php%3F3.5771.0%235778&lp=es_en

BTW- Anyone know of anyway to tell your running within Chankast instead of on a real dreamcast, since code could be altered with different workaround for each platform.

Thanks,
Troy (GPF)

warmtoe
April 12th, 2005, 19:57
For what I want, that's the wrong kind of debugger - I want a console window that is written to by the 'printf' functions in KOS - those windows seem to be debuggers for the actual CHANKAST itself - which might be useful too, but not quite how I need them.

GPF
April 12th, 2005, 20:12
For what I want, that's the wrong kind of debugger - I want a console window that is written to by the 'printf' functions in KOS - those windows seem to be debuggers for the actual CHANKAST itself - which might be useful too, but not quite how I need them.

Yeah me too. I downloaded the video where they displayed the debugger, but since I my understanding of spanish is next to none, I couldn't understand what they were saying LOL.

Like I said play around with those cheat search utilities or some kind of opensource windows hook code that could maybe display it. I wrote a little program that continuely printed 2 string "Hello" and "World" that I concatenated and then printf to the serial port. I then ran it in Chankast and used a program called Memware Trial version to search Chankast memory for the String "Hello World" and it would find it in 2 locations. Like I said the memory locations would change depending on the program, but maybe there is some way to figure it out and write a program the displays that memory location to a window like we want :)

Troy

warmtoe
May 7th, 2005, 14:10
Yeah me too. I downloaded the video where they displayed the debugger, but since I my understanding of spanish is next to none, I couldn't understand what they were saying LOL.

Like I said play around with those cheat search utilities or some kind of opensource windows hook code that could maybe display it. I wrote a little program that continuely printed 2 string "Hello" and "World" that I concatenated and then printf to the serial port. I then ran it in Chankast and used a program called Memware Trial version to search Chankast memory for the String "Hello World" and it would find it in 2 locations. Like I said the memory locations would change depending on the program, but maybe there is some way to figure it out and write a program the displays that memory location to a window like we want :)

Troy

I only just saw this - It must be possible to do... Hmmmm...