PDA

View Full Version : Review: Brando 55 in 1 Card Reader/Writer

bandit
January 26th, 2007, 01:39
Brando 55-in-1 Card Reader/Writer
Manufacturer: Brando
Site: Buy from Brando (http://videogame.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00415&dept_id=017&cat_id=038)
Price: $28.00

Overview : Brando WorkShop 55 in 1 Card Reader works with the most popular cards, even new SDHC / SDHC 2.0 cards. Besides, it is able to read MicroSD/T-Flash, miniSD, Memory Stick Micro (M2) directly WITHOUT any adapters!!

With the new design and advanced chipset, it is capable of TURBO speed access! Like Extreme III CF, it takes only 6 secs to copy 100MB files, whereas other common card readers takes 14 secs.

So, what sort of disadvantages of this card reader? Smart Media Card is uncompatible though. Guess you no longer use Smart Media Card, don't you?

Features :

Brando Workshop brand new extraordinary designed
5 slots 55 in 1 CARD READER
True plug & play and hot swapping
USB 2.0 speed - Fast data/files access and transfer rate up to 480Mbps
MicroSD/T-Flash direct access No adapter required
MiniSD direct access No adapter required
M2 direct access No adapter required
Support NEW high capacity standard SDHC SD card
Compatible with PC & Mac
RoHS compliant

Specifications :

Size: 85x58x12mm (3.15"x2.28"x0.47")
Weight: 40g (1.41 ounce)
Interface: USB2.0 (480Mbps), backward compatible with USB 1.0/1.1
Power Supply: Bus-powered
System Requirements: Support Windows 2000 SP3/SP4, ME and XP, Support Mac 8.6, 9.x, 10.1.2 and above (Driver is required for Windows 2000, Mac 8.6/9.x)

Supported Memory Cards :

CF I
CF II
CF I WA
CF I ELITE PRO
CF PRO
CF PRO II
CF Ultra II
HS CF
CF Extreme
CF Extreme III
CF Extreme IV
IBM MD
Hitachi MD
MAGICSTOR
MS
MS MG
MS PRO
MS PRO EXTREME
MS PRO MG
MS DUO
MS DUO MG
MS PRO DUO
MS PRO DUO ULTRA
MS PRO DUO MG
MS PRO ULTRA II
MS ROM
MS MEMORY SELECT FUNCTION
MS DUO HS
MS PRO EXTREME III
MS PRO HS
MS PRO DUO MG HS
M2
XD
XD H Type
XD M TYPE
SD
SD PRO
SD ELITE PRO
SD ULTRA
SD ULTRA II
SD EXTREME
SD EXTEREME III
SD HS 150X
SDHC 2.0
MINI SD
T-Flash
Micro SD
MMC
MMC 4.0
HS MMC
RS MMC
RS MMC 4.0
HS RS A15MMC
MMC MOBILE
MMC PLUS 200X

Package Contents :

Brando WorkShop 55 in 1 Card Reader
USB Cable
Quick Start Guide

Quality/Usability : I have a Sony MSAC-US20 Memory Stick Reader/Writer, SanDisk MobileMate SD+ and various USB cables that connects to my devices inorder for me to transfer data as well as adapters. Thats a lot of stuff on my computer table. With Brando's 55 in 1 Card Reader/Writer, it removes all those and puts them all into one!

Whats great about the 55 in 1 is that not only does it eliminate all those devices, adapters and cables but its works with any Windows and MAC operating systems. Not to mention, NO drivers needed (except for older OS)! The reader/writer is powered by your USB port with no additional power supply and uses USB2.0. It is also backwards compatible with USB1.0/1.1. When the reader is plugged in, I noticed that under MY COMPUTERS, there were three REMOVABLE DRIVES. When you insert a storage card, a green LED is lit up to let you know it is in use.

I tried various cards from a 4GB Hitachi MicroDrive, to a 256MB SD card, to a 1GB Memory Stick/Pro Duo cards and even the new smaller micro cards, microSD and Sony's M2. All work without any problems and all showed up perfectly and without any adapters! I no longer have to mess with cables or adapters in order to transfer data.

Normally, I connect my digital camera to my computer via USB cable. I tried my 4GB Hitachi MicroDrive with the card reader. The 55 in 1 had no problem reading it. Transferring pictures was just as easy and fast. It only took less than a minute to transfer my pictures to my computer. Mind you, these pictures were taken at 10.1MP and the files size are huge.

So I decided to try my 1GB that I use for my Nintendo Wii. Transferring VGA quality images were fast as well. It didnt take long before it was finished. Usually I would use the MobileMate SD+ adapter to transfer files. Transferring files to the Memory Stick and Pro Duo were the same. With the Pro Duo cards, I no longer had to use the adapter in order for me to transfer data. I just slipped it in and the reader had no problem recognizing the card.

My next test was my microSD and M2 that I used for my cellphones. The two newest memory cards to hit the market for the latest devices. I transferred not only pictures but also music. Transferring data was flawless and no adapter was needed at all unlike my other readers.

No matter what sized storage card I threw at the 55 in 1, it had no problem recognizing the card. You must say to yourself, there are other card readers out there that does the same. Yes, you're right BUT they are usually limited to how big in size it will read your card. My Toshiba laptop has a card reader built in. Reading small sized memory cards to 2GB memory cards were not a problem. But when I inserted my 4GB Pro Duo, it didnt read it at all.

Before getting the 55 in 1, I had contacted companies regarding the limitations of how big the storage card it will read and all said 1GB to 2GB at most. That would do me no good since I have 4GB storage cards.

Conclusion : Overall, the Brando 55 in 1 Card Reader/Writer is the best thing out there. Not only is it compatible with the latest operating systems without the need for drivers, it accepts 55 different cards. It eliminates the use of USB cables for your devices and adapters. This is the best investment there is if you use different storage cards for your devices. My only complaint is that to me, the USB cord that is included measures 24 inches (2 feet) and is a little short for me. To others, its probably more than enough. 3-4 feet USB cable would of probably been enough for any normal user. This permanently replaced all my card readers and USB cords.

Images via comments