View Full Version : Game Review: Wii Sports

bandit
January 28th, 2007, 06:21
Wii Sports
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo
Genre: Sports
Players: 1-4, depending on game
Get From: Goozex US/CAN (http://www.goozex.com/go.asp?ref=dcemu.co.uk) / Goozex EU (http://www.goozex.eu/go.asp?ref=www.dcemu.co.uk)

Overview : This is what video games should be: fun for everyone. Wii Sports offers five distinct sports experiences, each using the Wii Remote controller to provide a natural, intuitive and realistic feel. To play a Wii Sports game, all you need to do is pick up a controller and get ready for the pitch, serve or that right hook. If you've played any of these sports before, you're ready for fun!

Features :

Play Tennis, Baseball, Golf, Bowling and Boxing in the comfort of one's living room. No ball boys scurrying about, no oil from the alleys to get players dirty and no rain to keep anyone from a day at the court, park or course. Use the Wii Remote controller to mimic the actions of swinging a racket, bat or club, roll a ball down an alley or bring the left jab.
Players can use their own Mii caricatures in the game and play them against their friends' Miis for a more personalized experience. As players improve, their Miis' skill levels will increase, so that they can see exactly how much better they've become.
People of all skill levels can pick up and play any of the games in the unprecedented Wii Sports package, making this truly a title for everyone!

Gameplay : Nintendo decided to include a game with every Nintendo Wii console purchased. This is a great way to show off the Wiis new intuitive control scheme. When every swing and motion of the Wii remote, you perform certain motions. With the ease of a swinging a bat or tennis raquet motion will perform a swing. The motion of a golf swing, throwing a bowling ball or punching will perform each respective motion.

There is pratically no learning curve to Wii Sports. You simply pick up the Wii remote and just start swinging away. A child and elderly can enjoy the game easily.

Tennis (1-4 players): Players grab the Wii Remote like a racket and swing – the game registers forehands, backhands, volleys, lobs, slices, spin and power depending on how fast the user swings and at what angle. Don't worry about moving around the court to get to the ball – the game automatically moves players into position.
Baseball (1-2 players): Players grip the Wii Remote like a bat and swat fastballs out of the park, or fire a fastball over the plate with a flick of their wrist. Timing and bat speed will make all the difference between going yard and whiffing, so keep an eye on the ball and swing for the fences. In the two-player game, one player pitches and the other bats – all fielding and running is automatic, so that players can focus on the action.
Golf (1-4 players): Step up to the tee, hold the Wii Remote like a golf club and swing naturally to smack the ball onto the green. The harder players swing the club, the farther the ball will fly. Be careful, though – if players swing too hard, their ball will fly out of control, so they should be sure to take some practice swings before going for the pin. After reaching the green, line up putts carefully, practice the stroke and try to hole out.
Bowling (1-4 players): Players raise the Wii Remote in their hand just like a bowling ball, and then swing their arms to roll the ball. The speed of the swing and the angle at which they release the ball affects the ball's spin, so it will take some practice to master control over the ball and knock down the pins.
Boxing (1-2 players): Using the Nunchuk™ controller as one glove and the Wii Remote as the other, players dodge, weave and punch their opponents. Players hold their hands high to guard their faces or low to block their torsos. They punch high to hit their opponents' faces or low to get under their guard for a body blow. Swing both arms left or right to sidestep oncoming blows and move into position for a devastating knockout.

There is also a Training mode as well as a Fitness mode. In Training mode you complete certain tasks and try to earn medals and move onto the next level. Fitness mode is just that. Getting in shape. Just playing regular boxing can help you get in shape but if you would like to keep track of your fitness, Fitness mode is the way to go.

Graphics : The graphics are not mind blowing as you would find on the PlayStation3 or Xbox360 but nice, unique and simple. Purpose is to show off how the Wii works. Each characted featured in Wii Sports are known as Mii. With the Nintendo Wii, you can create yourself and play as yourself or make other celebrities and play as them.

Sound : Nothing fancy. The music is just generic music being played over and over. You'll have the occassional fans in the background cheering. I must say though, the music goes great with the game and does not get annoying where you have to turn down volume.

Replay Value : Wii Sports is a great game for get-togethers and to show off the potential of the Wii. Some games have great replay value such as Tennis, Bowling, Boxing. Golf and Baseball on the other hand is fun for only a certain amount of time.

Conclusion : Overall, Wii Sports is a great way to show off the Wii's control scheme. Children of all ages and even adults will have no problem enjoying Wii Sports. The learning curve is pratically none is a pick up and play type of game. Would of been nice if there was more games too choose from. Hopefully, there is a Wii Sports 2 in the works.

Score: Great
http://games-reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review/review4.gif

Images via Comments

blackbeard269
March 23rd, 2007, 19:32
Well i got the nintendo wii for my wife and kids so they would leave my Xbox 1 and 360 alone because they are both moded. But for the money of the wii and the lake of games with gameplay besides the wii play games it was a waste of money if you ask me. Looks like its ready for the grave.

Blackbeard269 AKA GiGGiT

Gold Line
March 23rd, 2007, 20:41
Well i got the nintendo wii for my wife and kids so they would leave my Xbox 1 and 360 alone because they are both moded. But for the money of the wii and the lake of games with gameplay besides the wii play games it was a waste of money if you ask me. Looks like its ready for the grave.

Blackbeard269 AKA GiGGiT

shut up wii is great :mad:

blackbeard269
July 14th, 2007, 08:56
i think a boy just told me to shut up. well boy the wii would be a great system but there is one thing in it's way and that is an xbox 1 moded & the king of the block is the xbox 360.

billionhits
July 15th, 2007, 10:07
On wii sports it soooooooooooo hard to hit the ball in baseball if the other person bowls a A+B Button - Splitter thing. I can never hit it because it just rolls along.

JKKDARK
July 15th, 2007, 11:33
i think a boy just told me to shut up. well boy the wii would be a great system but there is one thing in it's way and that is an xbox 1 moded & the king of the block is the xbox 360.

Wii sales are kicking both, Xbox and Xbox 360 sales.
At least, your wife and kids are not using commercial failures ;)

mikebeaver
July 15th, 2007, 18:19
well, the guy ha a good point, he just dosnt realise it yet -the Wii DOSNT need to have the worlds greatest gaphics or he biggest processor, (or weigh 20lbs for that matter), becuse it has some of the most FUN games around, X box and 360 are just expensive, cumbersome systems that are not really necessary as we all have a PC to do jobs that require powerful work.

If you dont like the console just simply dont play it, after all you said yourself that you bought it for you wife and child, if they use it and are happy with it stfu and go play your X box or the 360.
Or would you have rather that you bought it and they didnt play on it? that would have been a waste of money.

l33t_haxz0r
July 15th, 2007, 21:15

Blackbeard269 AKA GiGGiT

Lake of games? I think you mean lack of games.. The Wii hasn't been out that long.. and the sales are owning Xbox and 360 even with lack of games.. Just wait till SSBB and Mario Kart Wii come out, the sales will sky rocket.

nirp1981
March 7th, 2008, 17:21
hello guys
please help me i dont know what to do!
i cant decide between Xbox 360 and Wii!!
i love both but cant afford it!
please give me some advice
thanks very much
nirp from DiscussFitness (http://www.discussfitness.com)

fg-54
May 15th, 2008, 22:33
it depends on what you like nirp1981, i personally prefer the 360. right now i have both =3 and i can tell you rite now, that there are alot more good games for the 360 then the wii.

blackbeard269
July 28th, 2008, 00:25
Damn its been a long time for me to post. Anyways about the Wii. Yea i did buy it for the wife and kids but after they played it a few times it is just sitting on the shelf. They play the 360 more then anything. The only thing i really don't like about the wii is that its only 720p and not 1080i. All game consoles make dumb games that's just the way it is. But the wii is like an upgraded Game-cube with a cool controller. But when the kids asked for it they loved it at first and then it just sat there. I had to buy a broken Xbox 360 off of Ebay just so i could play it...But from time to time i do play the wii. It has some cool things to it. Only other thing i hate is limited space on the internal Memory.
I have always been a Nintendo fan. The NES System is still my favorite console. But what people forget about is that the Commodore 64 is the king of all! Without us BBS programmers the internet would not be where it is today. The days of groups putting out Intro's and Demo's was cool stuff. If anyone remembers Q-Link it was turned into AOL.