PDA

View Full Version : Review: Nyko Intercooler 360

bandit
January 30th, 2007, 04:11
Nyko Intercooler 360
Manufacturer: Nyko
Site: Buy from Nyko (http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=71) / Buy from ConsoleSource (http://www.consolesource.com/affiliates/idevaffiliate.php?id=123)
Price: $19.99

Overview : Reduce the internal operating temperature of the 360 while prolonging the consoles lifespan. The Intercooler 360 is a snap on cooling attachment that easily connects to the Xbox 360 to significantly reduce the internal heat of the console. The Intercooler 360 provides increased air flow throughout the 360 which allows the internal circuitry to perform at cooler temperatures and last longer. No internal modification of the Xbox 360 is required. A pass through power connection utilizes the existing Xbox 360 power supply negating the need for an extra AC adaptor. The unit also powers on and off automatically with the 360 and the Intercoolers small size will fit in tight spaces like entertainment centers with your 360 displayed in either horizontal or vertical format.

Features :

Increase air flow and reduces heat throughout the 360 providing extended life and reliability
Powered by the Xbox 360 console, no extra AC adaptor needed
Auto or manual power on and off
Snap on installation means no tools or other modifications are required
Can be used with the Xbox 360 in vertical or horizontal position

Quality/Usability : The Nyko Intercooler 360 is set out to keep your Xbox 360 cool from overheating and prolong the life of your consoles life. Does it? Read and see what we have to say about it.

The Intercooler 360 has three extra cooling fans that is housed in a plastic housing that matches the 360's color. The Intercooler is snapped onto the back of the Xbox 360's own internal fan to circulate air inside the Xbox 360 which lowers the temperature inside the console. The Intercooler 360 is snapped into the Xbox 360 by using plastic clips that go into the ventilation holes.

The Intercooler 360 has a pass-thru which allows you to plug your power cord into the Intercooler like you would on the console. The Intercooler itself adds about 2 inches to the depth of the Xbox 360 and turns ON and OFF when the console starts and shuts down. Nyko also gave the ability the user the ability to manually turn off the Intercooler with a built-in switch.

With three times the fan power, the Intercooler significantly pushes through more air into the Xbox 360. Simply by placing your hands over the fans, you can feel the air being blown in to the Xbox 360. NYKO claims that there is a ~10 degree difference between the internal temperature with the Intercooler in place versus just the internal fan from the consoles fan. I dont have the ability or the utility to confirm this but we'll just have to take Nyko's word for it.

With three additional cooling fans, you wont notice much noise as the console itself is pretty noisy as it is. You'll be so focused on your game, you wont notice any noise.

There have been some information on the web regarding the Intercooler 360. Some users have stated that the Intercooler has damaged their system or left burn marks on the back of the Xbox 360. Rest assured, there has been no problems. I'm not sure if Nyko has fixed this problem or if it was just a isolated problem and was a defective product for those certain users. But my Xbox 360 has not crapped out on me nor left any burn marks on my system.

Conclusion : Overall, the Nyko Intercooler 360 is a must own for those who have their console in a tight or want to prolong the life of their console. With a reasonable price to boot, its a great investment rather than having to spend another $400 on a new console or having to deal with the hassle of Microsoft's repair center.

Images via comments

wraggster
June 3rd, 2009, 17:56
yeah, putting more stress on the 360 isnt really the best policy, keeping consoles in a ventilated place however is ;)