PDA

View Full Version : PSP Analog Stick Mod: Any Ideas from the Hardware Inclined?

F9zDark
February 2nd, 2007, 02:25
After having seen the rash of other analog stick mods out there, I decided maybe I should give it a shot for myself.

Now the key difference between this mod and others are my plans for it, which seem feasible. For starters, I am not gonna use some huge dual shock analog stick. Why? Quite simply, its too big.

So I immediately decided that if I do use any analog stick, it would be of the PSP style.

Then that got me thinking, and I took apart my 1.0 PSP to see what I was up agains. I want this mod to be as legit looking as possible (no beef jerky containers...) So I looked at the guts of the PSP and in theory, a new analog nub COULD fit on the right side, IF the DC plug was removed from that area.

I have no hard data (ie measurements) to confirm this just yet, but just looking at it, it seems possible. However, for the sake of simplicity I also came up with another idea, that would utilize a USB mini B port coming out of the faceplate of the PSP (to attain the same relative position as the left nub, which would be the easiest for playing games.) The second analog nub would mount to the faceplate some how, and while not looking the best, would resort to no modding of the DC In.

Herein Method A will be defined as "the analog stick is installed into the PSP itself and looks as though Sony made it themselves."

Method B will be defined as "the analog stick is mounted externally to the PSP's face plate."

The Pros and Cons of each method:

Method A

Pros:

- Looks legitimate
- Feels and plays like the left analog stick
- 1 hole drilled into the face plate for the nub

Cons:

- Requires modding of the DC In, making it unusable with docking stations
- Modding of DC In may be very difficult

Method B

Pros:

- No DC In modification required.
- Can be removed easily since it will utilize USB Mini B (unless permantly attached to the face plate)

Cons:

- Would require a 'housing' unit before placement on the face plate (for cosmetic reasons mainly, but also to protect the USB)
- Would be raised considerably off the face plate, affecting playability (this would be user dependent)

What I intended was pipe over the face button controls to the new analog, thus making FPS games possible on the PSP. As well, one can also use the right analog, plus D-pad for the "Keyboard and mouse" style or use both analogs.

The requirements that both methods share would be:

- Wires (4)
- Analog nub and control mechanism (Divineo seems to have them listed separately)
- Faceplate

Method A requirements on top of the ones above:

- Extra parts for DC In modification

Method B requirements on top of the ones above:

- USB Mini B Male and Female connectors
- Housing material for the analog stick

Now that I have it all on the table, I wanted to see what some of the more hardware savvy around thought or had to say about DC In modification. Is the DC In port easily removed?

If not Method B will easily suffice for me, but I'd like to know anyway, just so that its out there for anyone else wishing to mod their PSPs in this fashion.

josh1991
October 25th, 2007, 21:15
so ur using an origional psp nub? if so i ws thinking about doing this