PDA

View Full Version : Import Duty

astra2k5
April 12th, 2005, 20:01
Hello, i've just bought a brand new sony psp from ebay from the states and wondered how much the import duty is likely to be. Does anyone know from experience or know anything about import duty and can work out how much it might be? I've had a look on the uk import, custom and excise sites for information on working it out but couldn't find much.

Cheers.

Allan.

Dan255
April 12th, 2005, 20:19
The import duty will be about £50.89 - thats what i paid when i imported mine from Japan and it will porbably be the same

wraggster
April 12th, 2005, 20:24
you may get away with it

fingers crossed

psplover
April 12th, 2005, 21:30
Is that only a UK thing? I've never payed import taxes on anything.

SalTheWop
April 12th, 2005, 21:35
The import duty will be about £50.89

Is that right?? Sounds a hell of a lot . I bought $700 US worth of bike bits and only paid £90

Kpow
April 13th, 2005, 12:48
Post from VImes220 Delivery Drama

My item sent via USPS with tracking number, this number you can track progress from hub to hub across US. This number can then be used on the PacelFarce website (I call them that cos once they left a package in my bin and the bin men collected that day!!!!) Once PF have it they will send you a letter saying that they have your package and that it has charges to be paid.

They day my PSP came in to PF i checked the tracking and it was with them at 4am, they will require you to pick it up as the Unions don't want their drivers to handle cash/cheques etc. So if you see it has arrived at your local depot call them, don't wait for the letter. You will need to pay VAT on the item and VAT on the carriage cost as well as a £13.50 charge from PF for passing through customs on your behalf. It is not a duty item so you won't get charged for that.

I bought off ebay too, questions: what service did they use/charge for? Do you have tracking number? if you have track number go to http://www.usps.com/ if it is still in US you will prob get in 2-3 days. if in UK check http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw this should only take about 2 days to get through Customs and then through the International Hub to your local PF depot. It won't go via your postie as the package is too big.

It is not a duty paid item only VAT charged @ 17.5%, call HMCE and go through to Toys section

£50 does sound about right, if the item is marked at £200 then 17.5% VAT is £35 plus a Parcel Farce charge of £13.50 soon mounts up. I only paid £33 in total as the Ebayer marked the value down as video games and customs didn't open it.

Import duty is different for many items, if you bought a digital camera then no duty, if you bought a 35mm SLR then it is about 10%.

I have spoken to customs myself and suggest you do the same rather than just relying on my word or anyone elses.

Kpow
April 13th, 2005, 12:50
Is that only a UK thing? I've never payed import taxes on anything.

What contry do you live in? yes it is a UK/EU thing.

ganon
April 13th, 2005, 13:08
wtf £50 i gonna be ****in skint

Kpow
April 13th, 2005, 13:25
wtf £50 i gonna be ****in skint

Ha ha, well you will go buyin expensive toys ;)

BTW, my wife thinks i only paid £150 for mine :) :) :) if she knew the real cost she'd have me rollocks off :eek:

leggy
April 13th, 2005, 17:03
You may be lucky and not get charged - cross every part of your body !!

ganon
April 14th, 2005, 02:04
leggy i hope your right

astra2k5
April 14th, 2005, 03:00
Cheers for the replies guys. The person i bought it off marked it down as a gift valued at 100 canadian dollars, about £40 so lets hope i won't get charged too much for import tax. Mine wasn't sent via usps, was sent via canadapost, i've been tracking it and today it left canada so will keep an eye on it and watch out for it getting into the uk. Will post again when i find out how much i am going to be charged if i am.

Cheers.

Allan.

Vimes220
April 14th, 2005, 08:11
ok, consoles are import duty free,
but games you pay duty on.
but you pay vat on both.

Am i right

and whatabout accessories?

Kpow
April 14th, 2005, 11:15
HMCE Definition

Consoles that are handheld (PSP DS Etc.) are duty free
Consoles that plug in to TV are not

Games is confusion, HMCE man say that if on a cartrige then no, optical disc possibly yes. When i explained that PSP games are optical disc in a seal cartridge he said "no duty"

Vat on items bought over the internet costing £18 or more yes, if a gift under £36 no.

Astra2k5, it's good that they marked down the cost, if customs don't open then you will pay only VAT based on that cost and carriage. The gift bit doesn't make any difference as the cost marked is about £42 (2.33 Ex rate) so above the £36 threshold.

Hope this makes sense, just keep an eye on ParcelFarce, you should be able to use the Canadapost tracking number on their website, just remeber to tick the international box.

oasismark
April 14th, 2005, 11:46
Ha ha, well you will go buyin expensive toys ;)

BTW, my wife thinks i only paid £150 for mine :) :) :) if she knew the real cost she'd have me rollocks off :eek:

LOL

I told my girlfriend i was buying mine to sell it on at a profit!

"No i won't play on it and want to keep it, i promise" ;)

astra2k5
April 14th, 2005, 15:03
Cheers Kpow. I checked the parcelforce website and it says Status : Advised, any ideas why this means? There is no information for "Last Tracked At:" so i guess it hasn't arrived in the uk yet?

Cheers.

Allan.

Kpow
April 14th, 2005, 19:40
Cheers Kpow. I checked the parcelforce website and it says Status : Advised, any ideas why this means? There is no information for "Last Tracked At:" so i guess it hasn't arrived in the uk yet?

Cheers.

Allan.

Probably not yet, it's probably on the red eye tonight.

astra2k5
April 16th, 2005, 18:20
Just to keep you guys up to date, the psp is now at my local delivery depot, and the expected date of delivery is monday the 18th, have i managed to get away without paying import duty or will the delivery driver on monday morning ask me for money? I see someone on the previous page said that i should phone the delivery depot but i cannot find their number on the parcelforce website.

Cheers.

Allan.

Kpow
April 16th, 2005, 19:48
Astra2k5

Good news it's here, if it's with ParcelFarce they won't send it out if there are charges because the Unions voted not to let drivers carry or handle any money. They will send you a letter in a day or so, i would suggest you conatct the PF helpline and ask the op for the phone number of the depot the package is held at and speak to them direct.

One word of warning, when I phoned mine (Mitcham are useless) they said it was with the driver and no charges to pay at 09:30, then checked the web again at 3pm and it said on the tracking info that the item is held for charges. Went to pick it up and it was ready for me. Jou just need a form of ID ie. Drivers Licence or Passport etc.

No import duty but VAT and PF handling charge of £13.50.

Good luck, need any more advice just ask. :D

astra2k5
April 18th, 2005, 10:58
Thanks for the reply Kpow. Just to confirm that's the package just arrived - no charges at all, not even vat. Parcelforce just delivered it, 10.53am, so i am very happy :) Hope to talk to all you guys soon on the forums. Going to give it a try now heh.

Cheers.

Allan.

Kpow
April 18th, 2005, 13:33
good on ya, lucky you, must have been well marked up.