PDA

View Full Version : Custom XMB in 3.10 OE

jak66
February 6th, 2007, 17:01
OK, alot of people are asking if they can customise their XMBs on 3.03 OE/3.10 OE, so i decided to make this post telling people what they can and cannot customise (and also how for some - gonna edit in)

- Customisation Type - 3.03 - 3.10 - Notes
- Custom Coldboot - YES - YES
- Monthly backgrounds - YES - YES
- Font - YES - YES - May break P.O.P.S.
- XMB Waves - YES - YES
- Topmenu Icons - YES - NO
- Other menu Icons - YES - YES
- Gameboot - YES - YES
- Debranded Gameboot - YES - YES
- Custom MAC Address - YES - YES
- Custom System Version - YES - YES
- Hide UMDtm Update - YES - YES
- Custom Recovery Colour - YES - ???

I WILL NOT ADD TUTORIAL FOR CUSTOM RECOVERY COLOUR AS 1)I HAVEN'T TRIED MYSELF (I downloaded my custom one from somewhere else) AND 2)IT MAY BE BASED ON 0okm's FINDINGS WHICH HE HAS ASKED NOT TO POST ELSEWHERE (I can't find out about this because taka (@gmail) won't allow free e-mails to register)

How to for 3.03/3.10 (Possibly other CFWs as well)

Credits for the following info goes to bstronga and his guide over at maxconsole - find it HERE (http://forums.maxconsole.net/showpost.php?p=378106&postcount=1)

Debranded Gameboot
(For custom opening use 0pening_plugin.rco)
1) Get an opening_plugin.rco for your _CURRENT_ firmware.
2) Open in a hex editor and go to offset -> 0x3A14 (OFFSET IS FOR 3.03/3.10, PROBBABLY DIFFERENT FOR OTHERS).
3) Replace 7D with "55".
4) Flash it to the /vsh/resource/ folder.

Debranded Coldboot
1) Get an opening_plugin.rco for your _CURRENT_ firmware.
2) Open in a hex editor and go to offset -> 0x31AC (OFFSET IS FOR 3.03/3.10, PROBBABLY DIFFERENT FOR OTHERS).
3) Replace 9A with "55".
4) Flash it to the /vsh/resource/ folder.

Custom Opening with P.O.P.S. Working
1) Make your custom opening_plugin.rco with zinga's application.
2) Get a decripted game_plugin.prx for your _CURRENT_ firmware (vsh/nodule/ for one on flash0, run through prxdecripter. vsh/module/ for one dumped with psardumper).
3) Open in a hex-editor and search for opening_plugin.rco.
4) Replace opening_plugin.rco with 0pening_plugin.rco (Thats a zero not a capital o).
5) Backup existing opening_plugin.rco from flash0. Rename as 0pening_plugin.rco.
6) Flash hex-edited game_plugin.prx to vsh/nodule. Flash opening_plugin.rco and 0pening_plugin.rco to vsh/resource/.

Credits for the following info goes to chachakoala and his guide over at maxconsole - find it HERE (http://forums.maxconsole.net/showpost.php?p=417414&postcount=1)

Hide UMDtm Updates
1) Get a decripted vshmain.prx for your _CURRENT_ firmware (vsh/nodule/ for one on flash0, run through prxdecripter. vsh/module/ for one dumped with psardumper).
2) Open in a hex-editor and search for disc0:/PSP_GAME/SYSDIR/UPDATE.
3) Replace disc0:/PSP_GAME/SYSDIR/UPDATE with disc0:/PSP_GAME/SYSDIR/UDPATE.
4) Rename vshmain.prx to vsh.prx.
5) Backup pspbtcnf.txt from flash0.
6) Open pspbtcnf.txt in notepad (or whatever text editor you prefer).
6) Add the line, /vsh/module/vshmain.prx after, /kd/vshctrl.prx. Change the last line from,
$%%/vsh/module/vshmain.prx to, $%%/vsh/module/vsh.prx.
7) Flash pspbtcnf.txt to kn/ and vsh.prx to vsh/nodule/.

splodger15
February 6th, 2007, 17:18
Nice list Jak66 although how can i debrand gameboot on 3.10 OE

jak66
February 6th, 2007, 17:29
Added debrand gameboot and debrand coldboot

Coldboot Sound, Gamemenu Icons and Savedatamenu Icons to come soon

vision
February 6th, 2007, 22:34
Thanks, im going to make a whole new theme pack. This should get me started

althena77
February 9th, 2007, 11:07
Custom Coldboot Sound
1) Get a decripted firmware 3.10 opening_plugin.rco.
2) Open the opening_plugin.rco with a hex editor and find the offsets
- Left Channel:0x3B58
- Right Channel:0x1C568
3) Open your .vag file
4) Copy the content over the above offsets in the opening_plugin.rco.
5) Save the opening_plugin.rco and flash it to the /vsh/resource/ folder

I opened the opening_plugin.rco and my self created coldboot.vag with a Hex Editor and also found the offsets, however I am now not sure what is meant by "copy the content over the above offsets".
Shall I copy the whole content of the coldboot.vag? And then I paste it into the opening_plugin.rco twice at the two offsets? And do I have to delete some parts first?
Sorry, but didn't use a Hex Editor often before.

jak66
February 9th, 2007, 12:01
open the coldboot.vag in your hex editor and copy everything (use select all if you have that feature then copy)

switch to opening_plugin.rco and paste. Providing you hex editor overwrites rather than inserts you shouldnt have to delete anything

althena77
February 9th, 2007, 12:32
OK, I just copied everything from the coldboot.vag into the opening_plugin.rco twice and saved it (using HxD as the Hex Editor) and saved it. The file was almost 200 kb bigger and I would have bet on a semi brick to be honest after flashing it ;)
But actually it worked, thanks for the fast reply, now I finally I have in 3.10 OE the wonderful classic Capcom logo sound again :thumbup:

jak66
February 9th, 2007, 16:10
The file was almost 200 kb bigger and I would have bet on a semi brick to be honest after flashing it ;)

Odd, but when yo say 200kb bigger, do you mean;
A) Custom opening_plugin.rco was 200kb bigger than before you saved it.
or
B) Custom opening_plugin.rco was 200kb bigger than one on flash0.

althena77
February 9th, 2007, 20:03
Odd, but when yo say 200kb bigger, do you mean;
A) Custom opening_plugin.rco was 200kb bigger than before you saved it.
or
B) Custom opening_plugin.rco was 200kb bigger than one on flash0.

I mean before I saved it.

The original decrypted opening_plugin.rco from my PSP has a size of 226 kb.
The one I edited with the Hex-Editor has a size now of 423 kb.

Maybe the original coldboot sound is still in there too? I just pasted the new one in there twice at the lines mentioned here without deleting anything because I have no idea what exactly I should delete/overwrite :confused:

jak66
February 9th, 2007, 22:05
maybe, but that would mess around with whatever data comes after the vag files (because you would have 4 vag files in a row rather than 2, if you search for text string VAG you can find out if there are 2 or 4)
as long as it works fine it doesnt matter i guess
if you wanted you can make a different VAG play over each channel (using mr shizzys bootsound i had darth vader bootsound with ace ventura over the top...i found it funny at least)

baracki96
February 9th, 2007, 22:56
why is it that with the custom firmwares, as the version increases, customizability decreases, or becomes harder. Although you get more features, and a higher firmware, your psp loses a bit of that "uniqueness" and wow factor. Why is it that flash related ccustomizing changes with updates? is it a space on Flash0 thing, cause thats an easy fix ( IE. go delete/dummying crazy). Until I am sure that I can do all my customazations on 3.10-oe, I am keeping my 3.03oe-b psp, with all its bells and whistles.

jak66
February 9th, 2007, 23:06
its because sony changes the encription of certain files, change how others work, change how some are arranged, etc. If sony kept the basic stuff the same the all firmwares would probably be easier to customise, but sony dont want us to be able to do stuff like that.

althena77
February 10th, 2007, 06:54
maybe, but that would mess around with whatever data comes after the vag files (because you would have 4 vag files in a row rather than 2, if you search for text string VAG you can find out if there are 2 or 4)
as long as it works fine it doesnt matter i guess
if you wanted you can make a different VAG play over each channel (using mr shizzys bootsound i had darth vader bootsound with ace ventura over the top...i found it funny at least)

I checked the opening_plugin.rco again by searching for the text string VAG and found it indeed four times, so seems that the old one is still in there after all. Guess it really doesn't matter as it is working right now, but I would feel better if inside the file everything is like it should be ;) Maybe I could try another Editor, is there one you could recommend? Or where do the old VAGs end, so I could delete them first myself?

I created the VAG myself, I found the classic Capcom logo sound on an old Megaman OST I bought years ago. I downloaded mr shizzys bootsounds a while ago, but personally didn't like most of them because they don't fade out at the end and so stop a little abrupt.
But the idea with two VAGs sound interesting, maybe I can use next to the Capcom logo a typical soundeffect from a Capcom game like Ryu making a fireball or dragonpunch :D

jak66
February 10th, 2007, 10:17
when i did my VAG replacement i use this hex editor;
http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Products/home/hex-editor-free.html

Not because i heard it was good or anything, but because it was the first i found on google that had copy/paste functions.

Method Man
February 10th, 2007, 12:07
THX you very very much
EDIT: i can't find the 3A14 (debranted gameboot), my opening-plugin.rco (or however it is called) goes only till 38~

althena77
February 10th, 2007, 13:22
when i did my VAG replacement i use this hex editor;
http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Products/home/hex-editor-free.html

Not because i heard it was good or anything, but because it was the first i found on google that had copy/paste functions.

Thanks, that did the job just fine :)

I did the same as with the other editor, looked for the offsets you mentioned here and copy/pasted there the complete content of the VAG and saved the opening_plugin.rco. But this time the size of the file did not change and it still worked :thumbup:

Thanks again for all your help and answering my questions so fast!

jak66
February 10th, 2007, 13:27
THX you very very much
EDIT: i can't find the 3A14 (debranted gameboot), my opening-plugin.rco (or however it is called) goes only till 38~

did you take the opening_plugin.rco straight off flash0, or did you run a psar dumper an dump decripted. it does say to use a decripted one and everything on flash0 is encripted+sig checked, except custom prx's and stuff youve already moddified

Method Man
February 10th, 2007, 14:06
did you take the opening_plugin.rco straight off flash0, or did you run a psar dumper an dump decripted. it does say to use a decripted one and everything on flash0 is encripted+sig checked, except custom prx's and stuff youve already moddified

i'd pressed [], means that i got to press X?

jak66
February 10th, 2007, 14:21
hmm..square should have dumped it decripted.

when you open your opening_pluging.rco in a hex editor, does it start with hex string 00 50 52 46 96 (that as a txt string would show as .PRF-) or does it start differently (if different, please post how it starts)

Method Man
February 10th, 2007, 15:32
it starts with 00 50 52 46 96 00 00 00 00 ...
but the 0x ends with 0x38940

jak66
February 10th, 2007, 15:35
uploaded it somewhere and pm me a link, ill take a look and try to sort it out myself

Method Man
February 10th, 2007, 16:40
oh, thx, i am a big n00b in hex-editoring *lol*
EDIT: where you have the gameboot from? i seen the site 1 time before, but i can't find it

jak66
February 10th, 2007, 16:56
i got the dax gameboot from maxconsole

Method Man
February 10th, 2007, 17:14
btw, is it right that cintro is workin on 3.10-A & A'?
i read it in the maxconsole forum

jak66
February 10th, 2007, 17:34
only from memory stick, not flash1 mod of kandos

Method Man
February 10th, 2007, 17:48

and how'll make it work? the readme tells only the flash1 possibility

jak66
February 10th, 2007, 17:56
put the stuff in ms0:/PSP/GAME/BOOT
rather than flash1

last i checked flash1 mod doesnt work because autoboot program only works on eboots on ms, not flash0/1/2/3

Method Man
February 10th, 2007, 18:02
thank you for the big help you gave me! ;)

Mr. Shizzy
February 13th, 2007, 08:26
I downloaded mr shizzys bootsounds a while ago, but personally didn't like most of them because they don't fade out at the end and so stop a little abrupt.

Your absolutely right. I'm currently redoing them all to sound better, and be 3.10 OE friendly. :) The remakes will also automatically debrand your gameboot & bootsounds for you. ;)

jak66- Awesome guide bro. :D

You should add Custom XMB click sounds in there.

originaly posted by: bstronga: 1.00 system_plugin.rco also 8 .vag files, but they allow to put in sound files with a much higher size.

1. 0x100D8-0x15007 (20272bytes)
scroll through xmb sound. (aka cursor ;p)

2. 0x15008-0x1BCE7 (27872bytes)
NormalOK. (didn't heard it yet in the xmb)

3. 0x1BCE8-0x24C37 (36688bytes)
Back sound. (didn't heard it yet in the xmb)

4. 0x24C38-0x2D6E7 (35504bytes)
Enter click sound.

5. 0x2D6E8-0x36157 (35440bytes)
Options sound.

6. 0x36158-0x38807 (9904bytes)
error sound.

7. 0x38808-0x44717 (48912bytes)
System Ok sound.

8. 0x44718-0x4A707 (24560bytes)
System Error.

Note: unlike changing the coldboot sound you have to keep the original fileheader this time.

Xando
February 13th, 2007, 09:52
So what is the 1.00 bogus firmware? And to customise 3.10 using a plugin from that how do I get it from the EBOOT? I have done most of the customising that is there. Can you add how to change MAC address and System Version please. Oh and if you want to change gameboot get Flash Agent and you can redirect the plugin to use the gameboot you have put at ms0:\gameboot\gameboot.pmf. Also, what is the most current version of CIntro, and can I use it like other people have to have a video coldboot at the beginning instead of just sound?

althena77
February 13th, 2007, 10:51
Your absolutely right. I'm currently redoing them all to sound better, and be 3.10 OE friendly. :) The remakes will also automatically debrand your gameboot & bootsounds for you. ;)

Cool, looking forward to that :)

althena77
February 19th, 2007, 00:16
I just read here, that you can now customize the Sony Computer Entertainment Logo and the Gameboot PSP Logo, however with the usual tools again it does not work with 3.10.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53417

Is there maybe also a possibility to do this with a Hex Editor?

Xando
February 27th, 2007, 19:09
you can do it on 3.10, i think, you need rco editor 1.5 and a decrypted 2.5 firmware.

jak66
February 27th, 2007, 20:24
Update - Removed everything that can be done with zingas app.
Added custom opening with working PSX and Hide UMDtm Updates.

Mr. Shizzy
February 28th, 2007, 08:38
jak66- How did you get the high resolution bg behind the wavy lines w/o corrupting your icons?

jak66
February 28th, 2007, 08:59
custom topmenu, dunno how but it doesn't corrupt the icons when a high res bg is used

AuroEdge
March 11th, 2007, 03:46
When I use any custom background from any of the big themes floating around, 01-12.bmp, with 3.10A' some of the icons turn into flashing squares. I AM NOT using topmenu. Even if I was the XMB wouldn't boot really at all so I wouldn't be able to tell that the icons are not right. When I use the default 01-12.bmp and leave everything else custom the way it is the icons go back to normal. Oh yeah, some custom backgrounds mess up different icons than others. Weird.

D0N
March 11th, 2007, 18:57
btw, is it right that cintro is workin on 3.10-A & A'?
i read it in the maxconsole forum

Could I have a link to this please? I want to check it out. Thanks in advance

-D0N