PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting Quake 4

beetroot bertie
February 7th, 2007, 13:13
I've thinking about getting Quake 4 and was wondering if anyone here has it and would like to share their views of it. The reviews I've seen seem to be a mixed bag and whilst I'm not arsed about it having any new gameplay features (I've always liked the series' pure run & gun style), I am concerned about slowdown that quite a few reviewers have mentioned.

So, would anyone here recommend it or should I stay clear? (it's currently £17.99 on Play).

My thanks in advance.

Welshboy
February 7th, 2007, 14:11
I've had quake 4 since the release. If you like quake 3 then there's a good chance you'll enjoy this. The multiplayer although good just doesn't have the support or size of community like quake 3 has. The single player is excellent though and well worth it for that alone. When you can find a game of q4 with a reasonable ping it is very enjoyable. In other words multiplayer - q3 single player -q4.

It's what i think anyway.

BrooksyX
February 7th, 2007, 14:42
Yeah it is worth that price. I recently bought it for about $20 and I am glad I got it. I think its a really good game and should have been given better reviews. The single player is longer than most game and is really fun. The multiplayer is good too, but sometimes it can be hard to find a game.

I say: Get it, especially if you liked Doom 3.

beetroot bertie
February 7th, 2007, 14:42
Thanks. How about the frame rate. Is it reasonably stable?

And does the PAL release have the bonus disc with full Quake 2? If so, what's that like?

Darksaviour69
February 7th, 2007, 15:04
yeah my mate got quake 4 with quake 2, but i'm not sure if its a limited edition thing or not.

for the record i hated doom 3 for the xbox, it was dull and predicable, walk into room monsters appear in front, the wall behind you opens with monster in it.... dull

gdf
February 8th, 2007, 21:29
old dooms were better, y'know, the ones with the enemies that looked like torn up, warped versions of the mona lisa

beetroot bertie
February 28th, 2007, 20:00
Finally succumbed after some fun blasts with the demo and bought it.

It does have a Quake II on a second disc, and it's currently £14.99 at Blahdvd.com if anyone else is interested.

Ta for the feedback.

BrooksyX
March 1st, 2007, 16:28
Yeah having quake 2 with it was part of the reason why I bought Quake 4.

beetroot bertie
March 5th, 2007, 13:02
If only it had online Quake 3. That would have been so cool as Quake 4 only has 8 maps and there aren't even any to pay to download on the Live marketplace. Have ID not bothered supporting the Xbox 360 release?