PDA

View Full Version : This is going to sound like a total noob question

J_Villa1983
February 13th, 2007, 01:36
I keep getting into arguments with one of my friends about the GDROM. They say that running programs off of cdrom discs versus the GDROM discs wrecks the motor in the dreamcast. I wouldnt think that it would but.. i'd rather ask people in the know before i tell someone they're full of sh*t. If anyone could answer this it woudld be completely awesome!!

Thanks
-JV

Xiaopang
February 13th, 2007, 02:20
well...you can find arguements about that topic all over the internet. logic dictates that this is bs. the gd-rom does not only consist of a high density track, but also of a cd-rom track which it boots off and which you can read with every cd-rom-drive. second of all, the dreamcast has an integrated audio player in it's setup, so it's designed to play audio-disks and cd-r's containing audio data. If the motor was wrecked by cd-roms, sega wouldn't have implemented that feature. besides, i'm using several hundred cd-r's with my dc for 7 years now and it still works without a problem. needless to say that if you burn your discs with max speed, the track is burned more inaccurate which can put the gd-rom-drive under extra pressure while reading and thus wearing it down faster. but this is the case for every drive, not just gd-drives.