PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what I need

disturbed798
February 13th, 2007, 02:19
I've read all the FAQS and everything, but I'm still a bit confused on what i need. All I'm looking to do is run back-ups of DS and GBA games, and maybe use a GB/GBC emulator. Now, I see all these supercards and this and that, and see this Flashme everywhere. Out of all of this stuff, what is the simplest thing i can use/do, to do what I want? I really appreciate the help.

DanTheManMS
February 14th, 2007, 02:33
If you're interested at all into GBC or SNES emulation, I would recommend a slot-2 card instead of a slot-1 card. The best GBC emulator was made for the GBA, while the best SNES emulator requires a GBA-like filesystem, which can only be provided by a slot-2 card.

If GBA support is important, I would recommend the M3 over the Supercard. So the M3 Perfect would probably suit your needs (don't get the Pro series, as it has little/no GBA support).

Then the only issue left is size. CF sticks out of the GBA slot a lot, SD sticks out a little, miniSD does not stick out of a DS Phat, and microSD (aka Lite) does not stick out of a DS Lite.

kcajblue
February 15th, 2007, 01:37
disturbed798, you should edit out the part about gba and nds roms.

disturbed798
February 18th, 2007, 00:48
Would the R4DS or M3 Simply work for me?

DanTheManMS
February 18th, 2007, 03:38
Only if you don't care about GB/GBC emulation or GBA compatibility and can live with somewhat-lacking DS homebrew support.

Slot-2 cards are better for DS homebrew, though the slot-1 cards have their uses.

disturbed798
February 18th, 2007, 03:47
Only if you don't care about GB/GBC emulation or GBA compatibility and can live with somewhat-lacking DS homebrew support.

Slot-2 cards are better for DS homebrew, though the slot-1 cards have their uses.

So I can't run GB/GBC emulators or have GBA compatibility no matter what with either of those?

If i were to get a slot-2 device, what all do i need, and do i need to flash my ds, cause im trying to stay away from that if i don't need too.
Also, would you be able to recommend a reliable site where i can purchase this stuff?

DanTheManMS
February 18th, 2007, 04:18
Nope, it's not possible. Well, okay, so there IS DSboy which works on slot-1 cards, but it's really unusable, and I wouldn't count on it. Only the GBA has Goomba and Goomba Color, the best GB/GBC emulators available.

I gave a recommendation in my first post...

If GBA support is important, I would recommend the M3 over the Supercard. So the M3 Perfect would probably suit your needs (don't get the Pro series, as it has little/no GBA support).

So I would suggest some variant of the M3 Perfect plus a NoPass device like the PassCard 3 or Supercard (so you don't have to use FlashMe). RealHotStuff.com is a good place to order, as they value customer service very much. Comparable prices, cheap shipping ($8 within USA), and very fast service (2-3 business days).

disturbed798
February 18th, 2007, 16:13
Nope, it's not possible. Well, okay, so there IS DSboy which works on slot-1 cards, but it's really unusable, and I wouldn't count on it. Only the GBA has Goomba and Goomba Color, the best GB/GBC emulators available.

I gave a recommendation in my first post...

So I would suggest some variant of the M3 Perfect plus a NoPass device like the PassCard 3 or Supercard (so you don't have to use FlashMe). RealHotStuff.com is a good place to order, as they value customer service very much. Comparable prices, cheap shipping ($8 within USA), and very fast service (2-3 business days).
Does the M3 Lite fall in the catagory of M3 Perfect?

(Or would this work without flashing? http://www.realhotstuff.com/lite-superkey-bundle-p-99.html)

SSaxdude
February 18th, 2007, 16:56
disturbed798 yes you don't need to flash with a Superkey or Passcard. M3 Lite is like the M3 Perfect except it doesn't stick out on DS Lites. The M3 Pro (I think that's what it's called) is the size of the regular M3 Perfect but without the GBA rom support, so it costs cheaper.

I use a M3 Perfect with Passcard. It's more expensive than a Supercard, but the GBA compatibility is much better. Also firmware updates are released fairly often so it can always play all the newest games.

disturbed798
February 18th, 2007, 18:07
Alright, thanks alot guys. I think I have it under control now.