PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router Problem

Maroonie
April 16th, 2005, 21:20
I for the life of me cannot manage to connect to my wireless router with my PSP.

Its a netgear DG824M Router and it's on channel 13 (could that be the problem?) It's got no WEP encryption and even when i stand right next to it and scan I get "A connection error has occured. The acces point was not detected"

Would love to get this sorted.

Best,

M

Dan255
April 16th, 2005, 21:53
i had exactly the same problem and i fixed it by changing the router settings to g&b bands because the psp can only see b bands. Also, you will probably have to log onto your router onto the internet and set the psp as a device which the router can 'talk' to.

Kpow
April 16th, 2005, 22:29
Funny, i have the same router and it just connected without any messing about.

My settings on PSP are no Wep and easy address, have you tried the scan mode?

Maroonie
April 16th, 2005, 23:50
Yea, When I scan It just says "No Access points detected"

Kpow, which channel do you have your router on? thats the only other thing I can see. :rolleyes:

Maroonie
April 16th, 2005, 23:59
Dan these are the only settings my wireless section has http://img25.echo.cx/img25/8526/router2se.jpg

Any ideas?

Cheers

M

Kpow
April 17th, 2005, 00:18
I have channel 3 but shouldn't make any difference, I have an HP Ipaq that connects without any problem. Can't check my settings on PC at the moment as i'm at work all night, but will look in the morning.

Don't know if anything in it but I have my wireless network named and i used that name when setting up my PSP. The first time i did it that's all i changed, left everything as it was and hey presto.

Kpow
April 17th, 2005, 00:23
BTW, the only other thing i can think of is there is a problem with your PSP, do you have any hotspots near you, you should be able to go along and detect (you won't connect though without the WEP), when i'm on the train sometimes to london my ipaq picks up lots of peeps networks on the way, should be the same with the scan function on the PSP.

At the moment my PSP is picking up my work WLAN but is secure. So proves a point that you should be able to scan and detect. Will show Encryption and Signal Strength.

reakt
April 17th, 2005, 02:39
Dan these are the only settings my wireless section has http://img25.echo.cx/img25/8526/router2se.jpg

Any ideas?

Cheers
M

Yes, I know the problem mate.
Channels 12 and 13 are only allowed in Europe. When you set up your Router it probably asked you what country you were in (and showed a legal statement) this is so it could configure itself to provide or deny the option to broadcast on channels 12 and 13.

I'm not sure which version of the PSP you have, but I'm almost certain that (since it's not European), it will not transmit (or even scan) on channels higher than 11.

So change the channel on your router and scan again.
Let us know if this solves the problem, as I have a similar router at home, and my PSP is arriving next week.

Cheers,
Ric

PS: Just noticed in your screenshot you have the option to change the location of the router. Select, for example, USA and notice that you can no longer select channel 13 as your broadcast channel.

Kpow
April 17th, 2005, 02:58
Good call, might try that one when i get home in the morning.