PDA

View Full Version : What is the Daedalus code?

kharaboudjan
February 15th, 2007, 19:18
so.. i was wondering what is the Daedalus code really? is it a port from the pc or is it like the SCUMM engine?

i mean if it is a port from the pc wouldnt it be much more promising to write a N64 emulator from scratch (just like gpSP)?

i know that it would be freaking difficult but wouldnt it probably perform better if someone knew the N64 structure and the pspstructure?

-Xandu-
February 15th, 2007, 20:11
No, the PC can't even emulate N64 that good, how can the PSP do it?

The full speed emulators on the PC depend on plugins, which can't be used on the PSP..

joshisposer
February 15th, 2007, 20:12
StrmnNrmn has an emulator he had for the pc. he stopped that a while ago and started to write this Daedalus for the psp.

mesosade
February 15th, 2007, 20:14
well he's got a point i mean monkey 64 was looking quite good.

F9zDark
February 15th, 2007, 20:15

The full speed emulators on the PC depend on plugins, which can't be used on the PSP..

I have an N64 emulator on PC and it runs fine. The biggest issue I have with it is the controls

Added:

well he's got a point i mean monkey 64 was looking quite good.

And once Daedalus rolled out R1, Monkey64 was down the tubes and PSMonkey left the scene shortly thereafter.

Really I don't understand this scene whatsoever... Rather than work together people would rather quit when someone hits the mark first...

Apoklepz
February 15th, 2007, 20:21
/\ /\ Ain't it the truth /\ /\

-Xandu-
February 15th, 2007, 20:27
I have an N64 emulator on PC and it runs fine. The biggest issue I have with it is the controls

You're using plugins then..

And once Daedalus rolled out R1, Monkey64 was down the tubes and PSMonkey left the scene shortly thereafter.

And don't talk like that about a respected developer..

ICE
February 15th, 2007, 20:36
psmonkey left because some sony related company hired him hired him or something.

F9zDark
February 15th, 2007, 20:47
You're using plugins then.

I am not using any plugins, just download, run and play. Nothing special.

And I never disrepected him, just speaking the truth. And no offense to these respected developers, but I have little respect for quitters. If everyone quit their work when someone came out with it first, we'd still be using sticks and stones to hunt our food.

kharaboudjan
February 15th, 2007, 21:14
StrmnNrmn has an emulator he had for the pc. he stopped that a while ago and started to write this Daedalus for the psp.

so.. at first he did a pc port.. but then he stopped with that project and started to code a new from scratch? so this emu isnt a pc port then, or am i missing something?

joshisposer
February 15th, 2007, 21:18
I didn't say it was a port. I was letting you know about how he started a pc emu and so he does have some good coding in him. Also, F9z, if it's Project 64, you are using plug ins. They are configured automatically so it works at it's best. Probably like 90% of the pc emulators use plug ins.

F9zDark
February 15th, 2007, 21:23
Also, F9z, if it's Project 64, you are using plug ins. They are configured automatically so it works at it's best. Probably like 90% of the pc emulators use plug ins.

I stand corrected then. I thought plugins as in an addon to an existing program.

gdf
February 15th, 2007, 22:35

you can buy controllers for the pc that mimic n64 ones and use them!:thumbup:

xg917
February 15th, 2007, 22:53

bull, its ur computer then cuz itz so slow. i just downloaded a n64 emu for my Mac and it runs just fine. also i downloaded project 64 for my pc and it worked just fine. i didnt download any extras or plugins for it

and the controls are fine to me

psiko_scweek
February 16th, 2007, 01:30
alright PSMonkey did port a PC N64 emulator to the PSP, it was Nincest. Now that was just a Proof of Concept port. People said N64 emulation on the PSP was impossible and he ported Nincest to say that it wasnt. He did determine that it because Nincest was developed for the X86 processor and not the PSP processor that a simple port would never work properly, but one written from scratch would. So he started to work on Monkey64. An Nintendo64 emulator written from scratch for the PSP. It developed along pretty well and he got hired by a company doing PSP Commerial work and thus had to stop development on Monkey64 as well as Sandbox and Iris.

~psiko

Zion
February 16th, 2007, 01:36

What are you on about man? pc can emulate 99.9% of nintendo 64 games full speed with awesome sound....

its not dependent on plugins either....some plugins produce better sound or gfx for certain games thats it.....

the speed isnt affected by plugins at all

more or less very little gfx issues either..

download project 64

S34MU5
February 16th, 2007, 02:08
My PC runs all the games i have tried Perfect, except smash bros...

Im using project64 1.6 as i downloaded it not downloaded any plugins or whatnot

Baboon
February 16th, 2007, 12:35
My PC runs all the games i have tried Perfect, except smash bros...

Im using project64 1.6 as i downloaded it not downloaded any plugins or whatnot

Yep same as me. :thumbup:

I dont know where people get the idea that it doesnt run perect on a pc? ...plus my pc is about 9 years old and has no problems playing the games! I would advise getting an adapter though so you can use consol joypads for the pc else some games are a mare to play!

I'm just soooooooooo looking forward to N64 working well on-the-go on my PSP! :D

HomerSp
February 16th, 2007, 13:15
Try running an n64 emulator on a 333mhz pc with like a 32mb (is that correct?) graphics card and you'll probably run into some problems...

Baboon
February 16th, 2007, 13:38
Try running an n64 emulator on a 333mhz pc with like a 32mb (is that correct?) graphics card and you'll probably run into some problems...

Well my PC is piss poor but it still manages to run everything 100%.

If your machine doesn’t work though because it is that prehistoric I would suggest actually buying a real N64 as this would be probably a lot cheaper than upgrading your PC. :rofl:

Anonymous D
February 16th, 2007, 14:20
project 64 comes with plugins, that help with the rendering and such, true most of the emulation code is in the main program but it does rely on the plugins to render sound and video.

mcvader
February 16th, 2007, 15:35
I don't get you're point about plugins, even the PC version of daedalus uses plugins, and if you check StrnmNrnm's post about sound in Daedalus you'll see that he has used a slightly modified version of azimers HLE sound plugin for Daedalus PSP ;) .

-Xandu-
February 16th, 2007, 15:37
Project64 runs on plugins..

Please search before you post crap, xg917..

Try running any other emulator without plugins on the PC, you'll notice how choppy it is...

papayo
February 16th, 2007, 15:48
Project64 runs on plugins..

Please search before you post crap, xg917..

Try running any other emulator without plugins on the PC, you'll notice how choppy it is...

Actually that's not entirely true...

Of course the plugins do matter, graphics plugin for the graphics and sound plugin for the sound. However, it is the emulator core that counts. Just look at 1964 and Project 64, if they both use the same plugins, the speed would still be different.

mcvader
February 16th, 2007, 16:04
If plugins were coded into PJ64 would they then cease to be plugins?

It's my understanding that plugins are there to give us choice, some plugins might give better results with certain games than others, also it shows the scene working together instead of witholding work.

Of course PC plugins aren't going to work on PSP, they'd have to be ported like anything else, the fact that porting azimers audio plugin to PSP only took StrnmNrnm a couple of hours shows it's possible, but then again StrnmNrnm isn't just any coder.

-Xandu-
February 16th, 2007, 16:07
Try running a N64 with SDL, which is software based. You'll notice the difference.

mcvader, true.

Sonic-NKT
February 16th, 2007, 16:10
daedalus was a PC N64 emu, quite old and was stopped some years ago... now he started porting it to PSP, but since those 2 systems are very different i think its mostly a rewrite.

btw why do you shout for a emu from scratch, daedalus is becoming really awesome and is allready almost fullsped without sound with R9...

kharaboudjan
February 17th, 2007, 00:25
daedalus was a PC N64 emu, quite old and was stopped some years ago... now he started porting it to PSP, but since those 2 systems are very different i think its mostly a rewrite.

btw why do you shout for a emu from scratch, daedalus is becoming really awesome and is allready almost fullsped without sound with R9...

Well.. we all saw what happened when Exophase wrote an gba emulator from scratch and what groundbreaking it was for the psp emus.. thats why. i dont believe anyone can do a port equally great as a new written emu.. but thats just me

V3N0M
February 17th, 2007, 01:32
Well.. we all saw what happened when Exophase wrote an gba emulator from scratch and what groundbreaking it was for the psp emus.. thats why. i dont believe anyone can do a port equally great as a new written emu.. but thats just me

I do agree with the fact that any emulator made for the PSP from scratch will perform better than one just ported. But to say, "i dont believe anyone can do a port equally great as a new written emu..." is not necessary true. We have seen amazing emulators like snes9xtyl achieve quality that could match just about any other snes emulator made from scratch for PSP.

XioN980
February 17th, 2007, 01:44
Okay:
1) Daedalus is a port from PC
2) StromnNrmn attempted porting it the
Xbox pre-psp but i dont know if he released it.
3) Xandu is correct the Best PC emulators do run off plugins such as PJ64, yes they run perfectly well, but the emulator still had to have an Interpretter core/Recompiler to run the plugins.
4) Daedalus does technically use plugins on the psp but you cant change them, they are precompiled in the EBOOT, He uses the Daedalus Graphics plugin and is currently porting Azimer's audio plugin.
5) Psmonkies new job isn't Directly sony orientated, he develops psp games for a games developer i think (correct me if im wrong) so dont flame him. The statement he "went down the plug" is stupid because he still released 2.0 of his emulator.
6) That is all :D

kharaboudjan
February 17th, 2007, 10:13
I do agree with the fact that any emulator made for the PSP from scratch will perform better than one just ported. But to say, "i dont believe anyone can do a port equally great as a new written emu..." is not necessary true. We have seen amazing emulators like snes9xtyl achieve quality that could match just about any other snes emulator made from scratch for PSP.

Well i agree what u say besides 1 thing.. there are many people who wonders why snes9xtyl is much much slower than gpsp even though gba is a harder platform to emulate.. and besides the ppl behind snes9xtyl have said after their last release that they probably could get like 5 % more speed of the emu.. that not much indeed ^^

I mean there are too many games that need 2-4 framskips.. so im 100 % sure that a snes emu could be done better than the one we got now..

and remeber im NOT saying the snes9xtyl is bad.. i have been enjoying that emu since it was firstly released.. but it feels just old and slow nowadays ;)

im just curius how great the SNES system (or the N64) could be done if a superb coder like Exohpase did it! :)

psiko_scweek
February 18th, 2007, 08:49
Strmnnrmn is doing a great job on the N64 emulator. Yes, it is a port of the PC emulator of the same name, that he was a developer for. Now, the emulator itself is basically going through a major rewrite (hence the different releases) and is not staying the original PC emulator, so you could simply just say it is being written basically FOR the PSP and is no longer just a port.

Monkey64 by PSMonkey IS a N64 emulator written from the ground up for the PSP and it shows. Compare that to the port of Nincest and you can see that there is a major difference if you design a emulator for the platform it is running on.

I agree though, an SNES emulator written for the PSP alone would run better than SNES9Xtyl. But seeing as how good that emulator runs, i doubt we will see a SNES emulator written exclusively for the PSP like we did for the GBA.

The GBA emulator is also proof enough. It was written with the PSP in mind and is not a port of VisualBoyAdvance as the other GBA emulators were and it shows, the gpSP emulator at version 1 out performed all the other GBA emulators hands down even with sound enabled. And with revisions here and there, of course the speed went up as well as the compatibility.

Im thinking we should try and get more emulators ported to the PSP of consoles that we dont have, or that are not emulated fully, such as the Jaguar.

~psiko

throughsilver
February 18th, 2007, 16:21
Well i agree what u say besides 1 thing.. there are many people who wonders why snes9xtyl is much much slower than gpsp even though gba is a harder platform to emulate..
I'm no coder, but I wonder if that is strictly true. Sure, the hardware is about a decade more recent, but the SNES had all those custom chips and 'modes' that I'm sure would make emulation an arse. That would explain why Mario Kart Advance runs far more easily than Super Mario Kart, despite the eight-year difference between the two.

The GBA emulator is also proof enough. It was written with the PSP in mind and is not a port of VisualBoyAdvance as the other GBA emulators were and it shows, the gpSP emulator at version 1 out performed all the other GBA emulators hands down even with sound enabled. And with revisions here and there, of course the speed went up as well as the compatibility.
That reminds me: do Marios Tennis and Golf work yet?

Im thinking we should try and get more emulators ported to the PSP of consoles that we dont have, or that are not emulated fully, such as the Jaguar.
Heartily agreed. I need access to Tempest 2000 on my PSP screen. Plus, the Jag can't be *that* hard to emulate... can it?

joshisposer
February 18th, 2007, 23:28
This might be a little difficult, but i would like to see maybe 32x or MegaCD from sega. I like to see systems that aren't popular cause normally they look pretty good. I loved the spider man for 32x, it looked pretty neat. I know it wouldn't be easy but it would be cool.