PDA

View Full Version : would like to start coding a game...

chokedbyaknife
February 17th, 2007, 18:54
Okay here is the deal... I am an artist, who has dabbled in code for fun and in high school. I really would like to start up a game or something just for fun, in my spare time (sadly it isn't that often). If you could maybe point me in the right direction for where to maybe start a game (little online tutorials?) it would be pretty awesome. I have a couple of ideas, so hopefully I can hit the ground running with one of them, and not disappoint. BUT I can't promise anything, might all be over my head lol. Thanks in advance for any help I may get though.

splodger15
February 17th, 2007, 19:57
Well there are two languages you can code in either Lua or C++

Lua is a simple language and can be learnt very quicky and easily

C++ is a more powerfull language although needs a compiler along with C++ knowledge

yaustar
February 17th, 2007, 20:14
Okay here is the deal... I am an artist, who has dabbled in code for fun and in high school. I really would like to start up a game or something just for fun, in my spare time (sadly it isn't that often). If you could maybe point me in the right direction for where to maybe start a game (little online tutorials?) it would be pretty awesome. I have a couple of ideas, so hopefully I can hit the ground running with one of them, and not disappoint. BUT I can't promise anything, might all be over my head lol. Thanks in advance for any help I may get though.
What is your previous programming experience if any?

chokedbyaknife
February 17th, 2007, 20:17
well if lua would be easiest, can you point me in a certain direction to get started?

ive kinda looked at c++ before, but I don't think I am quite ready for it so much.

splodger15
February 17th, 2007, 20:21
Have a look here for Lua tutorials (http://www.evilmana.com/tutorials/lua_tutorial_list.php)

chokedbyaknife
February 17th, 2007, 20:26
thank you very much..

oh and for previous experience:
- stupid flash apps for school
- a lot of java apps
- made a keypad for door entry with like switches on a board and visual c++ as well as a traffic light (lol)

nothin crazy but i mean, it does give me somewhat of a background in somethings.

*edit* now using lua to try things out... it is actually pretty damn simple so you might see something from me in a week lol.