PDA

View Full Version : Total N00b alert!

Deathnix
February 18th, 2007, 19:58
Yeah, I know nothing about NDS homebrew.
I know I will proberly be shouted at and called a retard, but, meh, flame ahead XD

I just wanna know if this
http://www.linker4u.com/pp/item_detail.asp?itemID=E408E346-DA5F-4D18-9672-A6B7E6C7CB0D

Is all you need to make home brew work on a DS?

Thanx to any one who replies

DanTheManMS
February 19th, 2007, 01:39
I've heard of that product, but I have no idea how well it works for DS homebrew. I don't see a DLDI file for it on Chishm's website, so it's probably not supported. That means that homebrew compatibility will be rather low, and the product focuses mostly on piracy.

If you want a slot-1 solution, the M3 Simply or R4 or Supercard DS would probably be a better choice. Yes, you have to buy an additional microSD card, and you need to have some sort of microSD card reader for your computer, but you gain the ability to increase your storage capacity relatively cheaply.

Deathnix
February 19th, 2007, 02:41
I've heard of that product, but I have no idea how well it works for DS homebrew. I don't see a DLDI file for it on Chishm's website, so it's probably not supported. That means that homebrew compatibility will be rather low, and the product focuses mostly on piracy.

If you want a slot-1 solution, the M3 Simply or R4 or Supercard DS would probably be a better choice. Yes, you have to buy an additional microSD card, and you need to have some sort of microSD card reader for your computer, but you gain the ability to increase your storage capacity relatively cheaply.

Does this mean it wont run Snes and genisi emulators?

DanTheManMS
February 19th, 2007, 03:18
I have no idea. As it is a slot-1 card, it won't run SnezziDS, though it might be able to run SNEmulDS and SNES DS with roms smaller than 3 MB in size.

I don't even know what the Genesis emulator is called. Either way though, I would suggest getting a card with DLDI support, as that increases homebrew compatibility dramatically.

Deathnix
February 19th, 2007, 12:39
I have no idea. As it is a slot-1 card, it won't run SnezziDS, though it might be able to run SNEmulDS and SNES DS with roms smaller than 3 MB in size.

I don't even know what the Genesis emulator is called. Either way though, I would suggest getting a card with DLDI support, as that increases homebrew compatibility dramatically.

Awesome, thanx for all the info ^^
I will steer clear of the one I linked then.
Could I be a real pain in the ass and ask for a linked example of what am looking for?
Also, I been looking through that linker4u site, and I seen simmiler things to what I linked, with SD cards, does that mean you can get a device that lets you use homebrew that reads off a SD card? If so, that would rock, I just brought a 2gig sd card last week! LOL

Thanx again for all the advice

Deathnix
February 19th, 2007, 12:45
Is
http://www.linker4u.com/pp/item_detail.asp?itemID={6BE7C9A1-CB15-4B06-A6DA-7AB32719803E}
And
http://www.linker4u.com/pp/item_detail.asp?itemID={D48690BB-0333-42E2-9300-6AE8D004046C}
What I want?
Also, I got a normal NDS, not lite version, if that makes any diffrence.

PS, sorry for being an annoying N00b XD

mesosade
February 19th, 2007, 13:09
no probz i was actually wondering on this too...good thing you asked before me :S

DanTheManMS
February 20th, 2007, 00:09
That looks good, yes. As long as it's not the Rumble series, you'll be fine.

I would suggest using RealHotStuff though, as it would be cheaper to buy from them. Total cost from Linker4U would be $82.13 plus about $10-15 shipping, while RHS sells a bundle for $64.00 plus about $8-12 shipping. Shipping should take about the same amount of time in both cases, though RHS might be faster since they're located in the US.

Deathnix
February 20th, 2007, 16:18
That looks good, yes. As long as it's not the Rumble series, you'll be fine.

I would suggest using RealHotStuff though, as it would be cheaper to buy from them. Total cost from Linker4U would be $82.13 plus about $10-15 shipping, while RHS sells a bundle for $64.00 plus about $8-12 shipping. Shipping should take about the same amount of time in both cases, though RHS might be faster since they're located in the US.

Hmmh, I went to that RealHotStuff site, and it says about needing to flash your DS to let the homebrew equipment work?
Is this true, and if so, how hard to do?

DanTheManMS
February 21st, 2007, 01:24
It's not necessary. It's useful, as you no longer have to insert the Superkey to boot your Supercard in DS mode, but it's not essential.

Basically you plug in your DS, start the flashme program, unscrew the battery cover, and use a metal object short the SL-1 contact to enable writing to a write-protected portion of the firmware. This is where the emergency recovery code is stored. Once the flashing process is done, you turn off your DS. Now you don't need the Superkey, and you also got rid of the health screen.

I find it useful, but there's always the chance that the DS will turn off in the middle of the flashing process (usually happens only on DS Lites though). If you've gotten about 3% of the firmware written by that point, you can use the emergency recovery feature. I personally had no issues whatsoever, but you should be aware of the risks.

If you decide to flash your firmware, be sure to look up more detailed instructions on the Internet. I just gave you a brief summary. There are also some video tutorials on Youtube.

Deathnix
February 22nd, 2007, 02:38
It's not necessary. It's useful, as you no longer have to insert the Superkey to boot your Supercard in DS mode, but it's not essential.

Basically you plug in your DS, start the flashme program, unscrew the battery cover, and use a metal object short the SL-1 contact to enable writing to a write-protected portion of the firmware. This is where the emergency recovery code is stored. Once the flashing process is done, you turn off your DS. Now you don't need the Superkey, and you also got rid of the health screen.

I find it useful, but there's always the chance that the DS will turn off in the middle of the flashing process (usually happens only on DS Lites though). If you've gotten about 3% of the firmware written by that point, you can use the emergency recovery feature. I personally had no issues whatsoever, but you should be aware of the risks.

If you decide to flash your firmware, be sure to look up more detailed instructions on the Internet. I just gave you a brief summary. There are also some video tutorials on Youtube.

Ok.... Am gonna keep to using a superkey! XD
Sounds safer!