PDA

View Full Version : Viewing images on DS (Moonshell, DSOrganise etc)

gohan2091
February 19th, 2007, 06:25
I have an M3 Simply, 2GB Sandisk MicroSD and a few hundred images ranging from landscapes to cars, to family photos etc.

My problem is, I can never get all the images to display on my DS. It's worth mentioning that ALL images are in JPEG format and they vary greatly in dimension.

Moonshell can open 90% of my images, no matter how large in dimension they are but it can become incredibly slow when moving the image with the pen. The image opens up 100% full size and with small preview of the whole image, I have to scroll with the pen to see what image is being displayed.

DSOrganise can only open around 40% of my images but I perfer this as I get a neat little preview on the touch screen and the image is displayed in large on the top screen. My DS doesnt slow down at all when moving the image with the pen.

My questions are....

1) Why can't Moonshell open a few of my images?

2) Why does DSOrganise have trouble reading most of my images?

3) Why is Moonshell incredibly slow when viewing most images? (the loading bar keeps coming up everytime I move the image)

4) What's the name of the DS application where you can view images on both screens by turning the DS on its side? Is this any good? (I understand you have to convert the images first for the application to read them)

DanTheManMS
February 19th, 2007, 06:40
1. Moonshell can't handle some JPEGS, and it's either interlaced ones or progressive ones that have trouble (can't remember).

2. Not too sure. It's probably because it can't scale the image down with the limited RAM of the DS.

3. The image is too large, and the DS isn't very powerful, so it becomes difficult for Moonshell to keep up with the entire image at once. Smaller images let you scroll around much easier. I've also noticed that it scrolls with less loading when viewing at 100% or 50%, as those modes don't have the extra filtering enabled.

4. You want Comic Book DS. Yes, you have to convert beforehand, but after that it functions much like both Moonshell and DSOrganize put together, plus tons of other features. You can have a preview pane at the bottom like DSOrganize, or you can use both screens at once like Moonshell. You can use progressive zooming as well, and you can turn the DS on its side if you want. I would highly recommend it.

gohan2091
February 19th, 2007, 21:40
4. You want Comic Book DS. Yes, you have to convert beforehand, but after that it functions much like both Moonshell and DSOrganize put together, plus tons of other features. You can have a preview pane at the bottom like DSOrganize, or you can use both screens at once like Moonshell. You can use progressive zooming as well, and you can turn the DS on its side if you want. I would highly recommend it.

I downloaded Comic Book DS but I cant seem to convert my JPEG files into a suitable format. I run pictods.exe and it asks to add a file, but I cant view my JPEG picture files in the windows browser. I zip an image up and add that zip file, then I click PROCEED but the program just sits there.

Are you sure it can be used for JPEG files? It seems its only designed for comic books...

DanTheManMS
February 20th, 2007, 00:21
Comic books can come in .jpeg format, usually zipped, and I haven't had any issues with JPEG files. If you want to select uncompressed images, use the Add Folder option and select the folder with all your images.

Zipping a single image and selecting it with Add File should work. I just tried it myself and it worked fine. I don't know why it's not working for you. Check the options to make sure the paths look right, and check the "nds" folder to make sure that it didn't already finish processing the image without you noticing. It should produce a "NAME.cbds" file that you can rename and place anywhere on your card, along with the ComicBookDS.nds and ComicBookDS.ini files

gohan2091
February 20th, 2007, 04:37
Well when I click on add file, and the windows browser comes up, it doesnt even list jpeg or jpg as a recognised format under the "files of type" box. It only lists

.zip
.rar
.cbz
.cbr

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5971/pictods1bif9.jpg

I can click on the "files of type" drop down menu and select *.* this allows me to view jpeg files in the windows browser. I select a jpeg or mulitple jpegs and click on "open".

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9060/pictods1aaq5.jpg

Then I click the PROCEDD button, part of the PictoDS box goes grey but the loading bar doesn't work, all buttons are greyed out, I cant even click the cancel button because this doesnt respond.

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/515/pictods2ut3.jpg

DanTheManMS
February 20th, 2007, 12:23
I just told you that if you want to use uncompressed images, you need to add the whole folder. Add File will only pick up compressed archives. When you force it to accept JPEG files with Add File, it tries to uncompress it when it's already uncompressed.

So either use Add File with zip/rar/cbz/cbr archives, or use Add Folder with uncompressed images.

gohan2091
February 21st, 2007, 21:01
Thanks all. I am now using ImageViewer for my pictures and its great.

DanTheManMS
February 21st, 2007, 22:29
Heh, glad to hear you at least got some form of image viewing working correctly. So did you ever figure out how to make Comic Book DS work? It might have frozen due to a corrupted .zip file (happened to me before, entire program locked up).

gohan2091
February 22nd, 2007, 02:25
When I heard about imageviewer, I put comicbook ds to the side. When I realised that imageviewer can do exactly what I wanted, I deleted comicbook ds.

Thanks for your help anyway.