PDA

View Full Version : PogoShell DS

TeenDev
February 19th, 2007, 18:48
Yes i know Moonshell took over for pogoshell but I thing pogoshell looks better and i like the plugin and theme feature. I have attached the source og Pogoshell 2.0 Beta 3+. I was hoping someone could make it into a Ninendo DS version. It could even be used to boot GBA homebrew. It would be great for people with MMD or evn Slot-1s. I got the source from: http://www.nightmode.org/pocket/

somebody please make a DS version of this.:(

Junixx
February 19th, 2007, 19:47
But Moonshell has a plugin feature....and a theme feature...

Heres some good themes:

http://www.m3-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2276

Nobody really makes many plugins though..

TeenDev
February 19th, 2007, 21:57
But Moonshell has a plugin feature....and a theme feature...

Heres some good themes:

http://www.m3-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2276

Nobody really makes many plugins though..

ty nice themes

DanTheManMS
February 20th, 2007, 00:05
The MMD and slot-1 cards cannot launch GBA binaries at all. Period. Well okay, it might be possible for the MMD to launch multiboot files <256 kb in size, like the GBAMP can do, but that's about it. No amount of sotware porting can help that fact. Compact Flash and SD are simply too slow for the GBA to use.

TeenDev
March 10th, 2007, 03:05
The MMD and slot-1 cards cannot launch GBA binaries at all. Period. Well okay, it might be possible for the MMD to launch multiboot files <256 kb in size, like the GBAMP can do, but that's about it. No amount of sotware porting can help that fact. Compact Flash and SD are simply too slow for the GBA to use.

so to make a .gba file boot on a MMD i would have to add a bootloader to it?

DanTheManMS
March 11th, 2007, 03:33
Are you talking about ".ds.gba" files or just ".gba" files? .ds.gba files are actually DS binaries, and you can usually convert them to MMD-usable .nds files by chopping off the loader that's already on there. However, like I said in my previous post, regular .gba files cannot be loaded on the MMD at all due to the way it works.

Junixx
March 11th, 2007, 14:54
The GBAMP can boot in GBA mode, while the MMD cannot, thats the reason why GBAMP can boot very small homebrew games

TeenDev
March 11th, 2007, 17:00
Are you talking about ".ds.gba" files or just ".gba" files? .ds.gba files are actually DS binaries, and you can usually convert them to MMD-usable .nds files by chopping off the loader that's already on there. However, like I said in my previous post, regular .gba files cannot be loaded on the MMD at all due to the way it works.

I would I go about doing that? Hex editor?

DanTheManMS
March 11th, 2007, 22:56
Yeah, a hex editor would work, though I'm not exactly sure how much you should chop off. There is also a program that can do this for you called pme2nds.exe - it's a command-line program, but you can just drag and drop the file onto it. If it's convertable, it will change "program.ds.gba" to "programC.nds". It was made a long time ago though, so it may not work entirely. I don't use it that much since my Supercard works best with renamed .ds.gba files anyway.

ndstool.exe also might help, though I haven't used this one myself.

Most homebrew should come in .nds format to begin with though, so use that if you can.

TeenDev
March 12th, 2007, 23:01
I am getting a GBAMPv2 in a few days! how would u add a loader to the .gba file?

DanTheManMS
March 13th, 2007, 01:15
Once again, are you trying to run .ds.gba files or are you trying to run actual GBA binaries?

And the .ds.gba files already have a loader that the MMD and GBAMP do not need. You should use the straight .nds files if possible (not .sc.nds, as those are actually renamed .ds.gba files).

TeenDev
March 13th, 2007, 02:00
.gba files

DanTheManMS
March 13th, 2007, 02:15
I've told you twice now that GBA files cannot be run on the MMD. At all. Please stopt trying. The header thing only applies to .ds.gba files, which are actually DS binaries to begin with.

The GBAMP you ordered can launch small multiboot GBA files since it can load them directly into the GBA's RAM. There is a partial list of such files at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/List_of_GBA_multiboot_games

As long as you got the CF version, you can run special versions of PocketNES and Goomba Color that will let you run NES and GB/GBC files larger than 256 kb, normally impossible due to the RAM constraints. This is because they use a paging system that calls up specific parts of ROM into RAM as needed. This means however that some larger games will be constantly swapping the working set, causing noticeable slowdowns (called "thrashing").

EDIT: I realize now that my first paragraph here was really rude. Sorry about that. Don't take it personally, I'm just in a bad mood right now.

TeenDev
March 13th, 2007, 02:30
I've told you twice now that GBA files cannot be run on the MMD. At all. Please stopt trying. The header thing only applies to .ds.gba files, which are actually DS binaries to begin with.

The GBAMP you ordered can launch small multiboot GBA files since it can load them directly into the GBA's RAM. There is a partial list of such files at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/List_of_GBA_multiboot_games

As long as you got the CF version, you can run special versions of PocketNES and Goomba Color that will let you run NES and GB/GBC files larger than 256 kb, normally impossible due to the RAM constraints. This is because they use a paging system that calls up specific parts of ROM into RAM as needed. This means however that some larger games will be constantly swapping the working set, causing noticeable slowdowns (called "thrashing").

EDIT: I realize now that my first paragraph here was really rude. Sorry about that. Don't take it personally, I'm just in a bad mood right now.

i completely understand. I was talking about the GBAMP v2 CF

DanTheManMS
March 13th, 2007, 02:34
Ah, then yes, try the multiboot games or one of the special emulators. I have heard that some multiboot games that approach 256 kb in size will not boot for some reason, but I don't know of a way to remedy this.

Junixx
March 14th, 2007, 03:33
Okie Dokie, I think your talking about using a NDS bootloader right? well before you can run DS code from the GBAMP, you'll need Chishm GBAMP firmware hack, get it

Here (http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/NDSMP/ndsmp_v2_11.zip)

Once you run in GBA mode, you'll need to place a _BOOT_MP.nds in the root directory of the CF card, the load it via a NoPass, Flashme, or whatever, and it should load, although keep in mind it wont load every single time, but most times it will

TeenDev
March 14th, 2007, 23:31
Okie Dokie, I think your talking about using a NDS bootloader right? well before you can run DS code from the GBAMP, you'll need Chishm GBAMP firmware hack, get it

Here (http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/NDSMP/ndsmp_v2_11.zip)

Once you run in GBA mode, you'll need to place a _BOOT_MP.nds in the root directory of the CF card, the load it via a NoPass, Flashme, or whatever, and it should load, although keep in mind it wont load every single time, but most times it will

yeah i know