PDA

View Full Version : Best MAME?

halcyon626
February 19th, 2007, 20:08
I want something to run S.T.U.N. Runner and Bonzo? Brothers specifically. I'm guessing MAME is the way to go, but after trying MAME4ALL, it didn't even detect the roms. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Shadowblind
February 19th, 2007, 20:32
I've also been lookin for a MAME emulator that can play Viper Phase 1...anyone?

devdj
February 19th, 2007, 20:43
Well i've always wanted to play the dragon ball z games for mame on the psp but MAME4ALL can't detect the roms. What to do?

Baboon
February 19th, 2007, 21:05
Unfortunetly theres no mame emu for psp out yet that plays any of those games mentioned above. :(

Mame4all 0.03 for me seemed the most compatible emu out there and most of the old classics worked quite well on that (shinobi, ghosts n goblins, golden axe, robocop, double dragon 1&2, gradius, galaga, dragon ninja, hellfire, pow, bomb jack, wonder boy, kung fu master, road blasters, snow bros etc etc)... but its by no means perfect and theres shed loads of games that either dont work on it or have no sound at all. :( ...the other downer is that its based on old mame rom sets so its a bit of a hit or miss mission to get some games to work.

Im just really suprised that nobodys released any new mame emus for the psp for ages (excluding all of NJ's CPS1/2, Neo geo etc master peices).

If you look at the Dreamcast or GPX32 theyve got shed loads of more compatible games being emulated (tmnt, bubble bobble etc)... fingers crossed someone will one day amend things and make more mame titles compatible for us?? ...boo hoo, sniff. :(

throughsilver
February 19th, 2007, 21:28
Im just really suprised that nobodys released any new mame emus for the psp for ages (excluding all of NJ's CPS1/2, Neo geo etc master peices).
I still can't, for the life of me, get MVSPSP working. It's a shame because the last CPS2 emu is unbelievably good (like, demonstrably better than the old one of his on a game like SF Alpha 3).

Whatever games I try sticking on there, I get error messages. Hmm, maybe I'll give the 2.0 a go - it worked for the previously frustrating Marvel and Darkstalker games on CPS2...

Baboon
February 19th, 2007, 21:43
I still can't, for the life of me, get MVSPSP working. It's a shame because the last CPS2 emu is unbelievably good (like, demonstrably better than the old one of his on a game like SF Alpha 3).

Whatever games I try sticking on there, I get error messages. Hmm, maybe I'll give the 2.0 a go - it worked for the previously frustrating Marvel and Darkstalker games on CPS2...

Make sure youve also got the neogeo bios in the roms folder (which obviosly isnt supplied with the emulator), otherwise you'll get an error message and nothing will work.

throughsilver
February 20th, 2007, 13:07
Right, here's the situation:

Just stuck MVSPSP Ad Hoc 2.0 on my PSP. I looked at the readme, and the folders that I saw on there that weren't already extant, I created. STATE, SNAP etc. ROM and CACHE folders, natch. I have tried sticking BIOS folders, both zipped and unzipped, in my ROMS folder, but still can't get any games working.

Best result thus far is that I get told NVRAM files have been removed, and then that BIOS can't be found.

Does this mean anything to you? Thanks for any help.

[edit] Could it be that I just have bad BIOS? I have two lots, with zipped folder sizes of 27 and 55kb.

althena77
February 21st, 2007, 16:57
Right, here's the situation:

Just stuck MVSPSP Ad Hoc 2.0 on my PSP. I looked at the readme, and the folders that I saw on there that weren't already extant, I created. STATE, SNAP etc. ROM and CACHE folders, natch. I have tried sticking BIOS folders, both zipped and unzipped, in my ROMS folder, but still can't get any games working.

Best result thus far is that I get told NVRAM files have been removed, and then that BIOS can't be found.

Does this mean anything to you? Thanks for any help.

[edit] Could it be that I just have bad BIOS? I have two lots, with zipped folder sizes of 27 and 55kb.

When you are in the list with all your roms, you can also push a button (don't remember exactly which one) and you end up in a list with all the Bios versions in your neogeo.zip, maybe you must select one there. Not sure if you have to, but I did always anyway.

throughsilver
March 2nd, 2007, 16:45
OK, public thanks to althena77 for the help.

I decided to try my hand at using MAME, and have had mixed results.

I downloaded a ton of MAME games, made sure (generally) they were pretty old and neither CPS nor Neo Geo. Stuck them all in my MAME roms folder and saw what stuck.

Most of the games don't show up on my MAME menu, so I figure they aren't compatible. I'm talking:

Arkanoid 2
Double Dragon
NBA Jam
Ninja Warriors
Out Run
Pit Fighter (don't ask)
Pole Position
Smash TV
Total Carnage
Space Harrier

I know I can play some of these on Genesis or SNES, but I fancied trying out the arcade versions. The ones that do work are:

Tempest
Gyruss
Rastan

Weirdly, Select (coin) doesn't seem to work for Bionic Commando. Arkanoid tells me 'BAD HARDWARE', and Spy Hunter just glitches up.

Anywone had similar issues? Also, is there a database/list somewhere that is quite comprehensive on what PSP MAME emulators will and won't work? If not, it might be handy to have a pinned list or something.