PDA

View Full Version : m3 simply + a slot 2 device?

sp00k
February 21st, 2007, 18:54
Hi all,

I have an M3 simply and was wondering how the boot slot 2 mechanism works.

My main reason for getting a slot 1 solution was the lower battery drain (and it was cheaper and easier to find :D). Now I'm considering getting a slot 2 solution to augment this, possibly a Supercard or an M3 lite perfect. Now if I leave the slot 2 adaptor in and don't boot it, then am I right in assuming it wont be consuming power? Also would having the slot 2 card alleviate the homebrew incompatibility problems with the M3 simply?

I mainly want Beup and DSOrganize to work, Beup freezes on 'doing handshake' and DSOrganize corrupted my micro sd card. As far as I can tell most homebrew works perfectly on slot 2 solutions. Any advice appreciated.

DanTheManMS
February 21st, 2007, 22:28
Well, the GBA cartridge does have power and ground pins on it, so as far as I can tell it will use 5 volts as long as the DS is on. I haven't really tested this myself, as I use my slot-2 Supercard all the time so it would be impractical for me to eject it. However, I know that ejecting a slot-1 card will improve the battery life of a slot-2 card by about an hour, so I'd assume the same is true for the opposite way.

DSOrganize sometimes corrupts my miniSD card as well, but certainly not to the point that it's unrecoverable. Running Chkdisk on my computer usually fixes everything. It doesn't happen all the time either, but I tend to be cautious when using DSOrganize nonetheless.

I've never used Beup, so I'm not sure what the problem is. It could just be the Wifi issue with new DS Lites. If this is the case, Beup would have to be recompiled with the new Wifi library to fix this, so getting a slot-2 card wouldn't do much good.

sp00k
March 5th, 2007, 16:20
Hi,

I have one more question about the slot 2 adapters. I read somewhere there's some battery or something on-board, I can't remember where I read it though and can't seem to find any information about it.

Perhaps I read it wrong. But is there anything along those lines I should be aware of? Is there a battery on slot 2 cards that will run out eventually?

DanTheManMS
March 5th, 2007, 23:10
On Supercard devices, only the supercard miniSD version has a battery, and this is used for saving the contents of SRAM, which is usually only used in GBA stuff, though a few DS programs like SnezziDS use it. Basically, it's mostly used for making QPC saving easier. If you're fast enough at turning the power off and on, then the battery is unnecessary.

However, M3 products may be different. I believe these all have batteries that keep SRAM saves alive until the next reboot, at which point it is saved onto a file on the CF/SD card. I'm not positive about this though.