PDA

View Full Version : gettin external hard drive 2 work

hondaboybt
February 21st, 2007, 20:29
hi i have just got usb external hard drive for my ps3 to store films on but i cant get the ps3 to pick it up on menu does any1 hav any ideas

hondaboybt
March 7th, 2007, 20:21
can no1 help :(

superd123
March 10th, 2007, 00:09
Make sure your hard drive is in the FAT32 format. The PS3 will read nothing else.

Hope that helps.

hondaboybt
March 15th, 2007, 20:26
i heard that from somewhere else but i couldnt work out how to format it to fat32

DaKik
May 10th, 2007, 17:28
I have a 400g usb hdd formatted in fat32 but my ps3 doesn't recognize it... How comes?

DaKik
May 23rd, 2007, 20:11
Please anybody I posted on several forums and I still don't have an answer... I heard about some usb adapter for devices unregonized by the ps3 but I cant find anything about price or where to find it.

SilverSony
August 1st, 2007, 12:44
Hi Guys

firstly if you have a pc, why do you not hook up the HDD to your ciomputer and format it on your pc to fat32, and then the ps3 should recognise it ??!

SilverSony
August 1st, 2007, 12:46
Make sure your hard drive is in the FAT32 format. The PS3 will read nothing else.

Hope that helps.

Hi Guys

firstly if you have a pc, why do you not hook up the HDD to your computer and format it on your pc to fat32, and then the ps3 should recognise it ??!

Guys sorry for double post?

Chameleon
August 1st, 2007, 12:50
I have a 400g usb hdd formatted in fat32 but my ps3 doesn't recognize it... How comes?

It has to be a notebook sized SATA- 5400 rpm

Speediakal
August 5th, 2007, 00:31
What? he said a USB HDD.

does the drive show up in the menu, but with no files on it? or does the drive not even sow up in the menu?

Train04
August 8th, 2007, 11:30
I know this is probably of no use to you now but why not buy a internal ps3 hard drive they seem to be alot cheaper (160gb = £55 inc pp) and more reliable.

jonezybaby
August 8th, 2007, 13:14
wen i tried my USB HDD it wouldnt show on the menu :(

DaKik
August 12th, 2007, 02:07
What? he said a USB HDD.

does the drive show up in the menu, but with no files on it? or does the drive not even sow up in the menu?

Nope,i just see the round thingie in the upper right corner for a few seconds,then simply nothing!

And as I said before (but it seems that not much people are reading well!) It is an USB hdd in fat32.

I know that it needs to be in fat32 (maybe ext3? But I never used that one!) but still, it doesn't work. TVersity allowed me to stream movies and music to the ps3, but I can't do a system save...And I might need it soon!

preetyforu
December 27th, 2007, 08:41
What does that mean exactly?

If it's recognized the right way, it should appear in My Computer and you can drag and drop any files to it, like you drag and drop files around on your c-drive.
If it isn't recognized, it won't appear in My Computer and you can't use it.

The things I wonder:
- Is the drive partioned and formatted?
- If it is formatted, is it formatted FAT32 or NTFS? Windows ME doesn't recognize NTFS, so it should be repartitioned and reformatted.
- Does this drive need a Windows ME driver?

I think your friend is the best person to answer those questions. He might not like if you repartition the drive and delete all his files doing that.

preety
webmaster
http://www.entertainmentvenues.org

Triv1um
December 30th, 2007, 10:05
All my externals just plug and play in my ps3.

They NEED to be fat32.