PDA

View Full Version : Review: Kingmax microSD to Pro Duo Adapter

bandit
February 22nd, 2007, 03:25
Kingmax microSD to Pro Duo Adapter
Manufacturer: Kingmax
Site: Buy from Brando (http://videogame.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00424&dept_id=006&cat_id=007)
Price: $17.00

Overview : Transform microSD into Memory Stick Duo

Features :

Ideal for use in small digital devices
Transform microSD into Memory Stick PRO Duo format
Compatible with Memory Stick PRO Duo device e.g. PSP

Specifications :

Form factor:
MS PRO Duo adapter: 31(w) x 20(H) x 1.6(D)mm
Operating Voltage: 2.7V~3.6V
Weight Aggrox. 1g

Quality/Usability : Some of you have probably heard about this unique adapter. The Kingmax microSD to Pro Duo Adapter allows you to use your microSD card, also known as TransFlash, in your electronic devices that uses Pro Duo such as Sony Ericsson cellphones and your Sony PSP.

Prices of microSD are fairly cheap and are the size of a thumbnail. If you can find the right deal (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25935), you can get a 1GB microSD card for free or for $10. The bigger the storage, the higher the price. This is a great alternative to having to buy a 1GB Pro Duo card.

Slipping the microSD card into the Pro Duo adapter is like any other adapter whether its Pro Duo to Memory Stick adapter, microSD to SD adapter and so on. Removing it is the same as well.

Once a microSD card is inserted, reading and writing is about the same as if it was a Pro Duo. I used Brando 55 in 1 Card Reader/Writer (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50683) and the speeds of reading/writing to the card is fairly quick.

I tried the adapter both in my Sony PSP and Sony Ericsson w810i. I tested this with a SanDisk, PNY and US Modular 1GB microSD cards. In both devices, they both read the adapter without a problem. Listening to music and playing videos did not show any signs of slow down. With regards to playing games on the PSP, I didnt notice any slow downs or lags.

Conclusion : Overall, the Kingmax microSD to Pro Duo Adapter is great if you have microSD cards laying around the house. The speed of reading and writing is as fast as a normal Pro Duo card. Luckily, the price of microSD cards are cheap so it makes a good alternative to the Pro Duo card. Currently, the highest microSD card available is 2GB.

Images via comments

HellHitZ
January 7th, 2008, 22:05
Sorry for digging this thread (found it on google), but has anyone tried using a MicroSDHC card with this adapter on the PSP? I have some MicroSDHC cards for my mobile phone, I just wanted to know if it would be recognized and all the space would be available.

gbellini
January 21st, 2008, 21:06
Hi HellHitZ, yust fall into your reply.
I bought an unbranded microsd to memory stick pro duo adapter and I used with a 4gb sandisk microsdhc. It does not work with my PSP Slim. but works fine with 1gb and 2gb microSD. (I used it with the 1gb to unbrick my PSP ;).

I dunno if it is a problem of my adapter or of the card. But the 4gb micro worked in my tytn mobile and on my laptop.

I think it's better you wait until the make one with better compatibilty.

HellHitZ
January 21st, 2008, 21:11
Thanks for your answer :)
I realize it doesn't really work with microSDHC, too bad, microSDHC cards aren't very expensive.