PDA

View Full Version : is there going to be a new snes emu?

NJisMYhome
February 24th, 2007, 20:58
im really hoping for one because my games are running really slow, is tyl still working on thiers???

Triv1um
February 24th, 2007, 21:00
What emu are you using at the moment?

NJisMYhome
February 24th, 2007, 21:00
snes tyl 042

Gold Line
February 24th, 2007, 21:02
No snes9x tyl is finished they say its completed but like you some of my games run slow oh well you never know someone may come out with a different snes emu

cal360
February 24th, 2007, 21:06
you never know if we can get a full speed ps1 emulator we should be able to get a full speed snes emulator you never know a new coder could start one at any point and get further than the current one

throughsilver
February 25th, 2007, 12:49
you never know if we can get a full speed ps1 emulator we should be able to get a full speed snes emulator you never know a new coder could start one at any point and get further than the current one
The PS1 emu is full-speed because Sony made it.

I don't really have issues with SNES games. Mode 7 is a pain (but I don't see anyone remedying that on account of the Modes were some special Nintendo hardware weapon), but apart from that, and some Mana slowdown, the emu is eminently playable.

Personally, I'd rather people get machines like the N64 (Strmnnrmn seems to be doing well) and Jaguar playable.

Gold Line
February 25th, 2007, 12:56
but apart from that, and some Mana slowdown

Mana did you mean secret of mana i LOVE that game

cal360
February 25th, 2007, 13:02
The PS1 emu is full-speed because Sony made it.

Sony may of made it but its the PSP thats handling it so it does show that the PSP is capable of handling high quality games

throughsilver
February 25th, 2007, 23:59
Sony may of made it but its the PSP thats handling it so it does show that the PSP is capable of handling high quality games
Oh, no doubt. The PSP is a hot device, but all I'm saying is the PS1 emu was official Sony, and they know how to get the best out of the system.

I still reckon Mode 7 will be a point of awkwardness for coders - but I say that as a total layman. :)

Mana did you mean secret of mana i LOVE that game
Yeah, got it for Xmas 1993, and it changed my whole concept of what a video game could be; opened my eyes to RPGs. Such a beautiful game.

gunntims0103
February 26th, 2007, 00:05
yea i had some slow downs on the snes emulator as well. I was hoping it would get updated. You have to play around with some of the configuration to get snes at good speed........

xg917
February 26th, 2007, 00:07
psp is capable of anything up to ps1 and n64 (which will be full speed one of these days =]

and yo!! i miss NJ!! man, y did i have to move to gay clermont... wut part of NJ u live in? i used to live in essex county in a town called verona.

SSaxdude
February 26th, 2007, 00:59
I hope somebody can make some very small fixes to SNES9XTYL. ZX-81 can you hear me?

mcvader
February 26th, 2007, 01:51
gpSP was ported to the Dreamcast, I wonder if it would be possible for DreamSnes (Dreamcast SNES emu) to be ported to PSP?

Dreamsnes dosn't run full speed but the PSP has double the memory and an extra 133mhz to play with.

I know the Dreamcast port of gpSP lacks dynarec so runs slower than it would if it was written for the Dreamcast, I'm guessing a PSP port of DreamSnes wouldn't have dynarec either (I'm assuming Dreamsnes uses a dynarec) which would be an issue as a new dynarec would have to be written.

As far as I'm aware DreamSnes is written from scratch and as everyone likes to point out an emu written from scratch would have better results than a port but what if the emu being ported was written for a (apparantly) less powerfull console?

I'm in no way an expert on the subject and I don't even know if the source for DreamSnes has been released, just a thought I had.

Gold Line
February 27th, 2007, 13:29
Yeah, got it for Xmas 1993, and it changed my whole concept of what a video game could be; opened my eyes to RPGs. Such a beautiful game.

did you ever complete secret of mana caz i did:thumbup:

and i dont think a new snes emu is going to be released it has been a year before snes was the big thing on psp now days its ps1 and n64 so dont get your hopes up for a new snes emu:(

Balthasar00
February 27th, 2007, 15:33
I am certain that the PSP can emulate snes perfectly. If the psp can emulate GB advance perfectly and n64 almost perfectly.. then why not snes ?

Someone said here that on a equivalent 333mhz pc you can't expect snes full emulation but its not true.

With an old 130 mhz pressario laptop, under win95, I can tweak Zsnes emulator to play snes games with out lag and perfect sound. However, using snes9x with the very same laptop gaves me really bad and not playable results. Zsnes is the fastest emulator for Pc system. I wonder why there is no portages of this emulator..? not open source?

HomerSp
February 27th, 2007, 15:51
SnesTYL is a bit overkill, it has way too many features and doesn't seem to be very optimized...

DreamSnes you say? I might have a look at it :)

EDIT: Source code doesn't seem to be available...

mcvader
February 27th, 2007, 16:15
SnesTYL is a bit overkill, it has way too many features and doesn't seem to be very optimized...

:( Damn.... thanks for looking into it tho.:thumbup:

Maybe you should try contacting the author?, I'm sure he wouldn't mind having his work ported to another system, with any luck if he/she see's enough demand for it he/she may port it his/her self.

I remember using ZSNES on my old P1 200Mhz and it ran perfectly if using the standard renderer, with 2xSai things started to look a bit choppy. I wonder if the source has been released for that?

I noticed that both the GBA and N64 MarioKarts run a lot faster than the SNES version and SNES 9x tyl is the only one (I think) that uses the ME!!

kharaboudjan
February 27th, 2007, 16:34
I agree with all of you.. the snestyl 0.42 ME feels often very slow.. so hopefully there will be a new snes emulator released for the psp!

I mean there are not many games that run with no frameskip, and too many games need 2-4 framskips to run at full speed.. and therefore those games are not playable :(

throughsilver
February 27th, 2007, 20:08
did you ever complete secret of mana caz i did:thumbup:
Yeah, I finished it in early 1994. ;)

Made me happy and sad at the same time. I bang on about it, among other games, here (http://www.throughsilver.eu/2005/07/my-top-10-video-games.html). I'm gonna have to modify that a bit, I reckon.

Gold Line
February 27th, 2007, 20:27
Yeah, I finished it in early 1994. ;)

Made me happy and sad at the same time. I bang on about it, among other games, here (http://www.throughsilver.eu/2005/07/my-top-10-video-games.html). I'm gonna have to modify that a bit, I reckon.

I love all these games as well apart from Tetris I would replace that with zelda twilight princess

PLZKLLME0080
February 28th, 2007, 01:39
No snes9x tyl is finished they say its completed but like you some of my games run slow oh well you never know someone may come out with a different snes emu

Maybe someone, probley a random coder, could go in and fix the bugs in it. that would be nice. or maybey a fast emu like that zsnes as long as it can read the savestates from snes9x tyl; im about 31 hours into final fantasy 6, it would be hell to restart it.

psp_sfdm
February 28th, 2007, 07:46
Zsnes is the fastest emulator for Pc system. I wonder why there is no portages of this emulator..? not open source?

Have a look at this thread --> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7795

PsychoSync
February 28th, 2007, 13:22
It would be awesome if a coder like ZX-81, Exophase, NJ or any other good coder would start a new Snes emulator from scratch. SnesTYL is optimized as hell but it's a port, Yoyo and Laxer3a don't want to recode some critical parts that could improve the emu a lot because it would be a pain in the ***. Its looks like coders are scared of making a snes emu for PSP cause coding one from the ground up is a BIG task, Snes is a complicated system, all the special chips... I don't think that porting any snes emu will make it any faster than TYL's emu. GPsp appeared out of nowhere and was fullspeed out of the box (almost), i really hope something similar will happen for Snes, it is one one the greatest console of all time.

NJisMYhome
March 1st, 2007, 02:26
psp is capable of anything up to ps1 and n64 (which will be full speed one of these days =]

and yo!! i miss NJ!! man, y did i have to move to gay clermont... wut part of NJ u live in? i used to live in essex county in a town called verona.

i live in essex county in belleville

samthegreat68
March 1st, 2007, 07:15
haha at first i thought you guys were talking about NJ the coder, not New Jersey lol.

but i cant complain about the latest TYL, ive been schooling my little brother on Street Fighter 2 alot lately.

HomerSp
March 1st, 2007, 08:26
Maybe someone, probley a random coder, could go in and fix the bugs in it. that would be nice. or maybey a fast emu like that zsnes as long as it can read the savestates from snes9x tyl; im about 31 hours into final fantasy 6, it would be hell to restart it.

You can always do an sram and transfer that between emulators.
Savestates from one emulator usually aren't compatible with any other emulator...

g00gy
March 1st, 2007, 18:53
Yeh i think if NJ would build a Snes emu he would perfect it. And would release updates every so hour. After all he did create the neogeo CP1 and CP2 emulators so im prettu sure that Snes must be easier than those.

Tinnus
March 2nd, 2007, 13:32
People, please go read on the SNES Graphics & Sound chips as well as the co-processors before you start guessing around it would be easier than this or that just because of the looks of it :)

Kichigai Mentat
March 2nd, 2007, 19:02
gpSP was ported to the Dreamcast, I wonder if it would be possible for DreamSnes (Dreamcast SNES emu) to be ported to PSP?

Dreamsnes dosn't run full speed but the PSP has double the memory and an extra 133mhz to play with.

Ahh, DreamSNES, what an emulator! The biggest problem is that the DreamCast ran on a Hitachi SH4 CPU, and the PSP runs on MIPS. They're two different architectures, so DreamSNES would have to re-coded to run on the new CPU, and then we'd have to re-optimize it. That's a lot of work right there.

quzar
March 2nd, 2007, 20:09
There's a lot of room for optimizations in tyl (yes, I've looked at it). Is it that games without special chips generally run full speed and those with them do not, or is it generally not fullspeed?

titch71
March 2nd, 2007, 20:39
There's a lot of room for optimizations in tyl (yes, I've looked at it). Is it that games without special chips generally run full speed and those with them do not, or is it generally not fullspeed?

Think there is a mix of both. The main games i've tried have variable results

Yoshi's Island - almost full speed in areas with high frameskip but slowsdown in others

Mario Kart - Seems to run pretty well at auto frameskip full speed IMO

Turrican - Requires frameskip and some other tweaking to get it to a decent speed.

IMO not that it counts much if there was room for optimization then it could make at least some of the least supported games run better.

I guess considering the 2 coders that were running with this project felt it was to much work for too little gain then there probably isn that much room for improvement without a lot of recoding.

Apoklepz
March 2nd, 2007, 20:51
I personally think TYL team made a landmark move in the PSP scene with their SNES9x emulator for PSP. Their work will always be praised and respected.

Though, even as nice as it is it's still very slow on some games/game sections + FX chip support was never achieved. Did I mention the final build is still a very buggy one?
Proof? Turn on SPC background music along with the spinning 3D graphics and try to change your menu background at the same time....actually, don't do this if you want everything in your memory stick to corrupt. This is the worst bug I've seen so far in any PSP homebrew application, and that's just one of them.

The source for this emu has been out and about for some time...I wonder if anyone's been playing with it.

On a final note, I believe Perfect SNES emulation is very possible on PSP. Just look at the last Game Boy Advance Emulator by Exophase and you, like me will believe....SONY sure didn't make that GBA emulator...now did they? There's CPS2/NEO GEO emulation for PSP (thank god for NJ)...now tell me why isn't SNES perfectly possible?

quzar
March 2nd, 2007, 22:13
Think there is a mix of both. The main games i've tried have variable results

Yoshi's Island - almost full speed in areas with high frameskip but slowsdown in others

Mario Kart - Seems to run pretty well at auto frameskip full speed IMO

Turrican - Requires frameskip and some other tweaking to get it to a decent speed.

IMO not that it counts much if there was room for optimization then it could make at least some of the least supported games run better.

I guess considering the 2 coders that were running with this project felt it was to much work for too little gain then there probably isn that much room for improvement without a lot of recoding.

Wow, I didn't know that it had games not fullspeed with frameskip. On the Dreamcast we have snes emulation at basically the same level. From what I saw the biggest speedups could be made in games with extra chips, although there's plenty to go around.

throughsilver
March 2nd, 2007, 22:59
Mode 7 stuff (I don't know how au fait you are with SNES architecture, so forgive me if this is basic stuff to you): hardward scaling and rotation, is the most awkward for TYL to emulate. Mario Kart and Super Tennis were pretty much unplayable last time I checked (Mario Kart isn't so much of a problem as GPSP emulates Mario Kart Advance perfectly. Super Tennis is more of a problem, though, as GPSP has major issues with Mario Tennis on GBA).

I haven't tried much that uses a Super FX chip (Starfox, Stunt Race FX etc), but Yoshi's Island is very slow.

I think my personal issues with Secret of Mana generally stem from Mode 7 causes. Moving clouds overlaid on the screen slow things down a lot, but then it does slow down when there are a lot of sprites on screen, so I dunno.

Generally, it tends to be a full speed emulator.

[edit] The above is without frameskip.

Just look at the last Game Boy Advance Emulator by Exophase and you, like me will believe....SONY sure didn't make that GBA emulator...now did they?
I don't know about the GBA hardware: does it have comparable hardware stumbling blocks like the infamous Modes, or do you just like being facetious? ;)

kharaboudjan
March 3rd, 2007, 10:53
I personally think TYL team made a landmark move in the PSP scene with their SNES9x emulator for PSP. Their work will always be praised and respected.

Though, even as nice as it is it's still very slow on some games/game sections + FX chip support was never achieved. Did I mention the final build is still a very buggy one?
Proof? Turn on SPC background music along with the spinning 3D graphics and try to change your menu background at the same time....actually, don't do this if you want everything in your memory stick to corrupt. This is the worst bug I've seen so far in any PSP homebrew application, and that's just one of them.

The source for this emu has been out and about for some time...I wonder if anyone's been playing with it.

On a final note, I believe Perfect SNES emulation is very possible on PSP. Just look at the last Game Boy Advance Emulator by Exophase and you, like me will believe....SONY sure didn't make that GBA emulator...now did they? There's CPS2/NEO GEO emulation for PSP (thank god for NJ)...now tell me why isn't SNES perfectly possible?

I couldnt express my self better!!

and cmon, when ppl are saying that almost every game without special cips are SO WRONG!! i could say at least 20-30 games that needs to much framskip to be enjoyable on the psp :(

so plzz if some talanted coder read this thread, the snes wasnt coded wery well for the psp..

gAMES that need to much framskip to be fun to play:

Axelay
Biker Mice From Mars
Castlevania - Dracula X
Chrono Trigger
Donkey kong country I
Donkey kong country II
F-Zero
Mortal Kombat 3
Puzzle Bobble
Super Bomberman 3
Super James Pond 2
Super Mario Kart
Super Metroid
Super Turrican I
Super Turrican II
Unirally!!!!

many of these games arent using any special fx chip as i know..

g00gy
March 3rd, 2007, 22:11
Yep ive had alot of problems with this emulator. And I personnaly hate frame skipping. I cant enjoy terrinigma, earthbound, star ocean or bahmut lagoon. Also there is a noticible amount of ripping in games becuase vsync destroys the FPS.

throughsilver
March 6th, 2007, 01:03
I couldnt express my self better!!

and cmon, when ppl are saying that almost every game without special cips are SO WRONG!! i could say at least 20-30 games that needs to much framskip to be enjoyable on the psp :(

gAMES that need to much framskip to be fun to play:

Axelay
Biker Mice From Mars
F-Zero
Super Mario Kart
Unirally!!!!

many of these games arent using any special fx chip as i know..
Those games (at least, not sure about the others) are ridiculously Mode 7-heavy.

Apoklepz
March 6th, 2007, 16:19
Mario Kart plays fairly decently compared to the others, though. I'll grab my settings and post them here later.

x3sphere
March 6th, 2007, 16:45

thats because they spent a lot of time on the emulator.. everything is already well optimized, probably close to as best you are going to get from a port.

of course, there would be a speed increase if you rewrote your own emulator from scratch.

NJisMYhome
March 11th, 2007, 15:44
Yep ive had alot of problems with this emulator. And I personnaly hate frame skipping. I cant enjoy terrinigma, earthbound, star ocean or bahmut lagoon. Also there is a noticible amount of ripping in games becuase vsync destroys the FPS.

vsync is really annoYing, if u put it on, chrono trigger runs slow, if u turn it off, chrono trigger runs good but the screen moves around weird.................although i love snes tyl, it is a GREAT and FUN emu, the gui is very cool, but the speed, stability, and compatibility can be improved...........PLEASE SOMEONE HEEEELLLLP

BurningRage
March 12th, 2007, 15:02
well, I'm a total noob, but chrono trigger runs perfectly without turning anything of. the only game i have speed problems is super mario rpg...

BoltDiesel
March 12th, 2007, 16:24
What I'm wondering is how can I put my PSP on standby w/o freezing?

whenever ever i'm enjoying a working game i.e. Ogre Battle and I want to/have to turn the psp off, when i go to cut it bacl on the rom is in settings mode and i can't do anything excet hard reseting the PSP. anything?

Kichigai Mentat
March 18th, 2007, 05:40
What I'm wondering is how can I put my PSP on standby w/o freezing?

whenever ever i'm enjoying a working game i.e. Ogre Battle and I want to/have to turn the psp off, when i go to cut it bacl on the rom is in settings mode and i can't do anything excet hard reseting the PSP. anything?

Just use save states. Make a save state, exit the emulator, and then come back and reload the save state when you're going to play again.

Squall220
March 18th, 2007, 09:16
You guys should turn frameskip on 3 or 4, that fixed every speed problem I had. try it

kharaboudjan
March 18th, 2007, 09:24
uuhhh.. frameskip 3-4?? then all the games will be totally UNPLAYABLE!

i cant play games with over 1 framskip on the current SNESTYL 0.42 ME.. otherwise the it looks to crappy.

Zombo
March 18th, 2007, 19:58
I wish they could improve both speed and the cheat function :\

samthegreat68
March 19th, 2007, 01:39
i almost never have a trouble with speed. except for mario kart