PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunately, n00b-level XMB wave hacking advice required

Kichigai Mentat
February 28th, 2007, 07:09
I hate to say it, but when it comes to XMB hacking, I'm a total n00b. I'm running 3.10 OE-A', and I'm aware that it's possible to change the XMB wave, but not the TopMenu. I'm willing to settle for the XMB wave, and I'd love to get a font hack, but I have NO idea how to do it.

Worst case, I can always downgrade to 3.03 OE-C, but I'm going to kind of need instructions.

FYI, I'm running OS X 10.4.8, so try not to suggest anything overly Windows-centric, but I can find basic tools like hex editors, and if you can tell me what programs do, I can probably find equivalents.

Thanks for the help, rather embarrassed to ask for n00b-level help.

Hobobo
February 28th, 2007, 07:42
To get the font hack, you use a program to "flash" it.

Personally I use flash agent.

Put the font file (Forgot what file type it is) onto your memory card, load up flash agent, then go to the file :P

jak66
February 28th, 2007, 09:17
For font you neee ltn0.pgf. if i remember there is a ttf2pgf converter around somewhere

as for custom waves, they are the file system_plugin_bg.rco (xmb) or opening_plugin.rco (coldboot), search for xmbWAVE or tgaWAVE or bootWAVE and you should find everything you need (xmbWAVE and tgaWAVE are both for xmb, bootWAVE is for coldboot)

Triv1um
February 28th, 2007, 15:38
To get the font hack, you use a program to "flash" it.

Personally I use flash agent.

Put the font file (Forgot what file type it is) onto your memory card, load up flash agent, then go to the file :P

No, you dont need a program.

---

toggle usb flash0, its alot safer if you know what your doing.

pt9087
February 28th, 2007, 17:14
Haha... "flash program" no dude ^^^ this guy says it all.

ur font goes in the font folder and the things that you will be doing u put them in the resource folder... overwrite it.

Kichigai Mentat
March 1st, 2007, 21:37
Wait... what? So I DO need a flashing program? and I just put the package data in /resource and let the flash app do its job?

Shrygue
March 1st, 2007, 21:46
You can use the recovery mode in 3.10 OE-A' (access it by holding the R shoulder button when you turn on your PSP) and under Advanced, select Toggle USB (flash0). Connect you PSP to a computer via USB. A Windows Explorer window should appear, showing the contents of the PSP's flash0.

Vendeta
March 2nd, 2007, 05:34
ya just use usb flash and download birdmans font pack HERE (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/birdman1-s-font-pack-v11-released-43012.html)
and find a already made waves if you cant figure out how to run it on osx

Kichigai Mentat
March 2nd, 2007, 18:25
So I just overwrite the existing files then? Thanks!

jak66
March 2nd, 2007, 20:24
make a backup off original first, so if it semi bricks you can reflash original

Vendeta
March 2nd, 2007, 23:31
yah make back ups...

Kichigai Mentat
March 3rd, 2007, 19:23
Well, I managed to flash my PSP without a brick (yes, I did back-up, just in case) but now some of my XMB icons are while blocks. I've used the original Black32 pack, and uploaded everything but the topmenu (since that's known to cause partial bricking). Any suggestions, or am I stuck with it (almost as a sign of hacking, kinda like duct tape is with home repair?)