PDA

View Full Version : PSP Generation 2

ganon
April 22nd, 2005, 20:11
I found an ebay auction selling psp generation 2 models which apparentl havr no dead pixels. Can ne 1 confirm this

oh I aint got the link for it :(

psplover
April 22nd, 2005, 21:36
Load of shit.

leggy
April 22nd, 2005, 23:27
Rubbish.

Darth PSP
April 22nd, 2005, 23:32
It may mean the second batch of PSPs. Sony seemed to fix the square button problem and the loose UMD door catchin the second and subsequent batches, but dead pixels are still common, even in the recent batches.

ganon
April 23rd, 2005, 00:27
damn
the guw was saying they won refund psps coz they wont have dead pixels. ****ing liar!

ganon
April 23rd, 2005, 00:56
found the link
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75556&item=8187146297&rd=1

psplover
April 23rd, 2005, 02:51
That actually was a really damn good deal. At most you would of got a screen with maybe 3 dead pixels. Should of really got that man. Also he shouldnt have to refund you for something Sony wouldnt refund you for. On a side not, he cant even mail it back to Sony of Japan as they wont accept it. To refund you he'd lose the cost of 2 PSP units.

ganon
April 23rd, 2005, 03:39
so there is no way of geeting no dead pixels guaranteed?

psplover
April 23rd, 2005, 03:52
None what so ever. However your allowed to return if its more than 7 I believe. Sony says they wont return but if the screen has tons of dead pixels ones that are noticable with just a glace over the screen then you can return it. Hoever if you live in the area that your psp wasnt from you cant return it. If you get a Japanese one you have to live in Japan to return it. If you live in USA you have to have a USA unit.

ganon
April 23rd, 2005, 03:57
sony is gay
i wonder if the dead pixels will be fixed for the uk release

aseddon130
April 23rd, 2005, 04:43
what this eBay'er means is that he's a scammer and the PSPs he has have loads of dead pixels lol

i dont think the dead pixel problem will ever disappear, but ive read that the screen is being made by another company for the Euro PSPs so maybe they will be less frequent :D

Kpow
April 23rd, 2005, 09:38
When they come out in the UK buyers will have much better protection called Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

This is important to remember not only for your PSP but any goods, I never buy an extended warranty on anything cos it's their way of cashing in. I've had items go wrong after the 1 year warranty has expired and got them replaced by the supplier. That's why Sony give a free 5 year warranty on their TV's cos they are the best and don't go wrong.

This should apply with dead pixels, a friend of mine had a laptop with the same problem, the supplier said no way as there is a tolorence % but the dead ones were grouped together and in the end they gave a full refund.

leggy
April 23rd, 2005, 10:00
Kpow - does that mean that when a manufacturer says you are getting a 1 year guarantee that they are being misleading and that they are liable for upto 6 years?

Kpow
April 23rd, 2005, 10:35
Yes basically, these are your consumer rights, according to the DTI http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm have a read.

I have returned items after 1 year on this basis. Currys/Dixons make most of their money from warranty sales as the margin on white goods is minimal, they can charge £100 to extend the warranty but they know that the likelihood of them having to pay out for replacement/repair is slim so they play the odds. Think about how much they sell and how many you think they get back faulty?!?! Then add the extended warranty and that is a lot of money, that’s why sales staff get a rollicking for letting people out without buying one.

Not many people understand what they can and can't do, we usually take their word for it. However, it is not the manufacturer you have to return to it's the "Supplier", that is very important to remember. It's is the supplier you have the contract with not the manufacturer. So if you buy a PSP from dixons and it goes wrong then it is Dixon's that is required to refund/repair for you, they then have to take it up with Sony as it was Sony that supplied them.

Trading Standards will help with any problems if you need it, letter writing etc. but usually if you speak to a manager and quote “Sale and Supply of goods act 1994” they usually buckle.

leggy
April 23rd, 2005, 10:48
Cheers Kpow - I will bookmark the page for the future!

I must admit, I never by extended warranties because they are so damn expensive.

A friend of mine used to work for Northern Electric so I know what pressure they were under to sell the warranties - they made a LOT of proffit from them.

Kpow
April 23rd, 2005, 10:56
I must admit, I never by extended warranties because they are so damn expensive.

Now you know why. Glad to help. :D

ganon
April 23rd, 2005, 12:40
i used to work for comet and your right it was all about selling guarantees and extended warranties

Kpow
April 23rd, 2005, 13:03
Thx for the back up Ganon, i didn't work for any of them but know how to play the game ;) now you do too, so play it well. :D

peanut
April 23rd, 2005, 14:12
i have bought from this guy on ebay before, it wasnt a psp but it was a game, all arrived fine....

Corpsical
April 23rd, 2005, 17:05
I think he is over selling it, its probably just had the firmware updated to 1.5

Corpsical

ganon
April 24th, 2005, 03:15
no probs kpow
im sure when the psp comes out in uk it should have no dead pixels