PDA

View Full Version : Dos Emulator

Hammy
April 23rd, 2005, 11:34
i've read somewhere that the dreamcast has a good dos emulator that will run a fair number of old school pc games such as the platform duke nukem games, biomenace and jazz jackrabbit.

is there anyone who will be able to point me in the right direction for this miracle if it actually exists!

quzar
April 23rd, 2005, 11:38
Doesn't exist. Only DOS emulator for the DC is Bhole. It is only known to play around 8 or so games (although noone has tested very many games on it other than the ones it was designed to emulate originally). It emulates a DOS machine with a 386, CGA display and PC speaker.

Hammy
April 23rd, 2005, 11:53
sounds good, i'll have a look for it.
any progress is good progress!

quzar
April 23rd, 2005, 11:59
www.screamcast.net <- The homepage for the DC version.

Starscream
April 23rd, 2005, 16:45
Is there much difference between emulation of a 386 and a 286? Would a slower machine (CPU-wise) make EGA support possible for instance?

quzar
April 23rd, 2005, 16:58
Its not speed that is a concern, its the emulation itself. I don't know enough to write the emulator. I was able to get the author to add to it a bit, but he has been out of contact for a long time. I would really like to actually add to it on my own at some point, but not in the near future.

Starscream
April 23rd, 2005, 17:34
Thanks, I just thought that emulating CGA but also a 386 seemed a bit over the top. Most of the games using CGA should easily run on a 286 or perhaps an 8086 I would guess. That reminds me - MESS has already 8086 emulation with VGA output, no Idea how good the emulation is though. Is it (in theory) possible to use the MESS source for adding it to Bhole?