PDA

View Full Version : Help! PSP screws are stripped

AvengedSevenfold Fan
March 5th, 2007, 20:31
My noob friend insisted that he could put on his own faceplate. He scred up the buttons and d pad and analog, AND he left the protective sticker on the inside.
But worst of all, he stripped one of the screws, so now i can't get it out. I have a screw driver ment for the PSP but still no go, what do you suggest I do?

Shrygue
March 5th, 2007, 20:34
Is it the screw that's behind the warranty sticker in the battery compartment the messed up one?

AvengedSevenfold Fan
March 5th, 2007, 20:50
yes, the one to the left

CaptainMorgan4
March 5th, 2007, 20:52
Yeah I had this problem too, I tried for days to get the screw out but to no avail. The solution I did was take a knife can carve out around the screw and just removed the little piece of plastic with the screw in it. So basically carve around the screw and take the whole thing out, then I jsut used some super glue and you can't even tell. Try it if you give up, because I stripped my screw to shit and could never get it out, it's worth it.

Shrygue
March 5th, 2007, 21:00
I attempted to open up one of my PSP consoles and wound up with that problem too. That screw is so tightly screwed it's close to impossible to get it out without destroying the head of it.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
March 5th, 2007, 21:05
not if you have the right screwdriver. my faceplate came with one and it worked perfect. but im having no luck with this one

Shrygue
March 5th, 2007, 21:14
Doh! I used the one that was ment to open the back of a Game Boy Advace SP battery compartment to try opening up the PSP. I figure it's not the right one then, even though it looked like the one to use. In fact, I've worn out the screwdriver head due to much force applied to it so it's harder to open the battery compartment of the GBA SP.

crazydavey988
March 6th, 2007, 03:58
Yeah ,i spilled some soda on my psp n it grounded the d pad down button .i despritly tried to file down a flat screw driver to fit it and maybe blow dry it out n had no luck.i was lucky i got the extended warenty.those screws r a b**ch

ICE
March 6th, 2007, 04:18
do what captain morgan did. thats what i had to do too.

JadaBloom
March 6th, 2007, 05:03
Since your replacing the faceplate what you do is get a small drill bit and drill the head of the screw off. It's easy to do as long as your careful also you'll need replacement screws there's a calculator that's for sale in walmart (for like 3-5 bucks) and it's a perfect fit for the psp screws just can't recall the name just try and google psp screws and you may come across it. otherwise stripping the back part where the psp screws reside (i.e. chipping away the plastic like someone else said) is a bad thing to do replacing the back casing of the psp takes a lil skill and patience since you have to disassemble the whole thing.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
March 6th, 2007, 20:12
um..what kind of drill bit? and i dont really understand what captain morgan is saying

Gene
March 8th, 2007, 06:12
Use a very small drill head, but make sure it's just a tiny bit bigger that the actual screw shaft but not bigger that the head. Next dril the stripped screw until the outermost part of the screw head is completely off of the rest of the screw.

I did this when i *insert profanity*ed up that screw, and it has no effect to the system. just a way to remove the faceplate. at the expense of a little screw being permanently stuck in the original faceplate.

Why do those Sony corporate scum have to twist that screw on so damn tight!?

AvengedSevenfold Fan
March 8th, 2007, 13:20
oh ok, i acually think im gonna use some epoxy stuff and make a mold with a screwdriver

Gene
March 9th, 2007, 05:45
oh ok, i acually think im gonna use some epoxy stuff and make a mold with a screwdriver

Hmmm. Thats a great idea...I wish I though of making a casting before i rushed to do something. Ah well, that psp is long gone now anyway.(replaced because analog stopped working properly)