PDA

View Full Version : Metareview: 300

wraggster
March 6th, 2007, 23:10
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/03/06/metareview-300/)

It's the game we so wanted to be good. Too bad you were right, readers: the critics are absolutely bashing this game. Hopefully, the movie will be able to hold up better than this critically blasted game:

Gamepro (45/100) hates that nostalgic feeling: "It's essentially a throwback to the days when movie-licensed games were always awful."

IGN (57/100) at least enjoyed the cutscenes: "The stylish cinematics are better than any single moment of gameplay and serve as the only reason to bother playing 300: March to Glory to its conclusion."

Game Informer (63/100) didn't find the game too bad, as long as you turn off your brain: "It's interesting that they called this 300, because that is about how many times you jam on the X button in the first minute and a half. Then again, there is something mindlessly appealing about beating up endless waves of dudes."

The poor reviews for the game won't hinder me from watching the upcoming movie. I mean, can they really mess that one up? I hope not.

IM back!
March 7th, 2007, 11:52
not buying that then.

dthpsc
March 7th, 2007, 13:15
You'll be happy to hear the movie is getting pretty good reviews: check out www.rottentomatoes.com my friend... a great website.

Broadus
March 8th, 2007, 00:49
Why would you judge your will to play a game entirely on what some vague review sites tell you? Actually, it IS pretty bad, but Game Informer is completely wrong: That game has nothing to do with pressing X over and over to beat up endless waves of enemies. They probably didn't even bother playing the game, but instead half-assedly looked at other review sites and changed the words to sound like their own, as it seems review sites often do since they all sound alike.

The whole reason the game sucks is that there are hardly any enemies around and they're needlessly difficult to kill, requiring the player to knock them down or use a special instant-kill move, even if he slices them over and over with his sword. Also, the game is stupidly easy to beat, especially because of the not-at-all-difficult bosses.

I actually really enjoy the game, anyway, since I haven't seen any other beat-'em-ups on the PSP that include lots of teammates. I beat it once, and now I'm trying to beat it with a different strategy in which I won't easily win the game. You have to REALLY like beat-'em-ups like The Warriors or The Lord of the Rings to take any interest in this game.